• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Info from the WotC 2007 January to April Catalog

Kunimatyu

First Post
D&D Minis boosters @ 14.95 ea are starting to get a little rich for my blood.

In fall 2003, they were 9.95 each. Now, in spring 07, less than four years later, they've increased in price 50%. That's a bit much even taking inflation into account.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
thalmin said:
Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Kit
An easy way for new Dungeon Masters to learn how to run fun D&D games.

I want to get excited about this but after the Player's Kit I'm not sure. If the box photo had been accurate -- the photo implies that the booklets have some weight to them -- then I would be all over this. As it is I'm gonna wait until I can actually see inside the box.

As a "introductory" product, I felt the Player's Kit was seriously lacking. D&D for Dummies is a much better buy; and it's very likely that Dungeon Master for Dummies is going to be a much better buy for newbies than this product.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Kunimatyu said:
In fall 2003, they were 9.95 each. Now, in spring 07, less than four years later, they've increased in price 50%. That's a bit much even taking inflation into account.

How much have oil prices climbed during that time? Also, the newer minis are better quality than those earlier sets.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I feel a little like Token on South Park when they're doing the Lords of the Ring spoof and almost going, "I'm out."

Adventurers are good, and D&D needs them, but we've needed them for years and it feels like they're being blasted onto us at the cost of the sourcebooks that I personally prefer.

At the same time however, Complete anything makes me vomit a little. Sorry, but if going back to PrCs with five page descriptions is the best WoTC can do in 07'... well, I'll be playing for a long time thanks to Shackled City and Age of Worms and other great arcs but it looks like my WoTC buying days may be winding down a bit.

Who knows? I could be completely off base here and this stuff blows me away when I see it but just reading about it... yeah, I can see 4th ed coming much sooner than I thought now. :(

Henry

Autoexreginated
philreed said:
How much have oil prices climbed during that time? Also, the newer minis are better quality than those earlier sets.

Even still, I'm glad I have the ones I do, because barring them putting more minis in the pack, $15.00 isn't worth it to me to get in any regularity.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Henry said:
Even still, I'm glad I have the ones I do, because barring them putting more minis in the pack, $15.00 isn't worth it to me to get in any regularity.

The timing of the price hike is interesting.

I'm sure it's related to the high cost of oil as Phil points out, but to implement the hike for a set that may or may not be as in demand (do we really need more undead?), it will be interesting to see how well the set does.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
thalmin said:
A D&D Supplement
Complete Scoundrel
Mike McArtor and Wesley Schneider
New options for characters that enjoy deception, mischief, skullduggery and intrigue.

Complete Scoundrel is the latest in the "Complete" series of player-friendly supplements that focuses on the scoundrel archetype and provides new rules options for characters who enjoy intrigue, skullduggery, and subterfuge. This book also helps Dungeon Masters run intrigue-laced campaigns.
In addition to presenting various "scoundrel" archetypes for characters, it includes new feats and prestige classes that serve these archetypes, as well as new tricks, spells, equipment, and magic items.
For the Dungeon Master, this book contains information on how to create adventures and campaigns laced with intrigue that will appeal to groups that includes one or more scoundrel-type characters.
January 16, 2007
Hardcover, 160 pages, $29.95/$37.95 CAN
Wow, 50 percent of players in my (11 person) campaign will want this.

A D&D Supplement
Dungeonscape
Jason Bulmahn and Rich Burlew

Dungeonscape is the lastest in the "Environment" series of player-and Dungeon Master-friendly supplements. It focuses on a particular type of terrain, in this case the dungeon. It presents new character options for characters that like to explore dungeons, as well as tools for Dungeon Masters to create exciting and memorable dungeon environments.
Dungeonscape is a book about exploring and building fantastic dungeons. It gives players exciting new options for their dungeon-delving characters, and it gives Dungeon Masters the specific tools they need to create interesting and fun dungeon encounters and envirnments with little effort. The book includes new feats, new teamwork benefits, dungeon survival gear and tips, information on delving guilds, and ready-to-use dungeon encounters and maps.
February 13, 2007
Saddle-stitched 160 pages
$29.95/$37.95 CAN
Good stuff.

A D&D Super-Adventure
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits
Wolfgang Baur and Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel

Expedition to the Demonweb Pits is a D&D super-adventure for characters of levels 9-12. It is usable as a mini-campaign on its own, as a story arc in a Dungeon Master's regular campaign, or as a series of small side adventures with a big payoff. The structure is very flexible and eminently customizable. The adventure uses a new combat encounter format designed to make the DM's job easier and to speed up play.
Heroes who become entangled in the adventure's plot soon find themselves squaring off against the agents of Lolth and Graz'zt across several planes, including the Abyss.
April 17, 2007[/I]
224 page hardcover
$34.95/$44.00

Holy crap.

Of course, what are they going to call the Barrier Peaks sequel if this is the new naming convention?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads