Infrequent gaming

I believe it was implied that you were allowed to change your character as long as the concept and the character itself stayed the same. If the group really is full of players that value the story and the roleplaying then they will probably not make changes which are that drastic. However, if Data's player realized that he was never using his Andorian Empathy feat and he wanted to swap it out for the "Ability to use my severed head as a stapler" feat, or maybe the Vulcan Neck Pinch feat, then sure, those still fit with the character, so go ahead. (Data may not be a Vulcan, but I could see him learning this move. It fits his style.) But if Data's player is really into the character he would probably not even try to pick up bat'leth proficiency unless there was a good RP reason for it, and he certainly wouldn't be replacing "computer lore" with it.

LOL. OK, point taken.

I just don't think the need to rewrite is much different in an infrequent campaign (which is what I run) versus a frequent campaign. I guess it depends on whether the players are spending the 3 months between sessions thinking about their character's abilities, or not. In my experience, people don't really think much about it during the non-playing periods.

Perun

Mushroom
As far as setting approach, try something like Stargate where each adventure/session is self contained verses. the normal continuous adventure model. A city campaign that used the party as trouble shooters is another ideal. Steal plot form Traveler or other SF games, where each planet is a separate adventure might work.

That's sort of what I decided to go with.

It won't be the same as the regular campaigning, since the adventures will be limited to a few encounters, something our generally slow party will be able to go through in one night's sitting. That's generally up to 5 encounters.

The party will start at 5th level, since they've all voiced against starting at 1st level, and I'll give them a sort of background, that is, similar to Stargate, I'm planning on making them a sort of special task force working for a wealthy nobleman. The general idea of the "campaign" is that weird occurrences have been happening in the world, and they're increasing in frequency. Kind of like Fringe, only with Shadowfell, Feywild, and, hopefully, ultimately the Far Realm.

So each time we get together to play, it will be a straight dive into the adventure; I'll give them the detailed info on what they've been told (preferably, I'll mail all the info to them beforehand), and go straight to you're-standing-in-front-of-the-dungeon-entrance bit.

As they advance through levels, connections with previous adventures should become apparent.

Stuff like that :)

I'd like to thank everyone for the excellent advice!

Regards.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Keep us posted on your adventures if you have the time - we love hearing about adventures and what worked/didn't work from every player and GM on the boards.

P.S. Don't be ashamed to steal plots from or copy whole episodes of TV shows, so long as you re-skin them to make them appear like they weren't ripped off. It helps if you know your players and their TV-watching habits. :)

Remove ads