• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Initial D&D Next Releases Showing Up on Barnes & Noble Website

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
This had the tiles and miniatures. If you click on the images on the left hand side, the tiles are in one of the pictures.

Ah, the old could've-just-clicked ploy, eh? ;) Thanks. :)

*edit* Oh, wait. These were the in-betweeners; more like tile/maps rather than the very modular Dungeon Tiles we all know.

DM Howard

Explorer
Ah, the old could've-just-clicked ploy, eh? ;) Thanks. :)

*edit* Oh, wait. These were the in-betweeners; more like tile/maps rather than the very modular Dungeon Tiles we all know.

Were they? I completely forget. I still use them, but I would agree and say they aren't as modular as the ones that came after. I was more bringing it to your attention because it would be no stretch at all for WotC to do something like this.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Were they? I completely forget. I still use them, but I would agree and say they aren't as modular as the ones that came after. I was more bringing it to your attention because it would be no stretch at all for WotC to do something like this.

I appreciate you pointing it out and I agree. They were (are) useful tile/maps, for sure. I actually like the Dungeon Tiles that are a whole room, too. They have had a couple of small taverns from time to time that are great for roadside inns (rather than those huge, whole battlemat taverns that might be good for larger communities/cites).

Wulfgar76

First Post
Pathfinder releases a $50 Core Rulebook - groovy, so worth it.
D&D releases a $50 Core Rulebook - incessant whining, foot stamping and hysterics.

Right.

dm4hire

Explorer
Pathfinder releases a $50 Core Rulebook - groovy, so worth it.
D&D releases a $50 Core Rulebook - incessant whining, foot stamping and hysterics.

Right.

There's a difference though. Pathfinder core book has both player and GM info in it. It is effectively two books in one. If WotC sticks to tradition then it's $50 for a book designed solely for the player. Though if they are breaking tradition and it does cover both player and GM stuff then there will be less gripping I think.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
There's a difference though. Pathfinder core book has both player and GM info in it. It is effectively two books in one. If WotC sticks to tradition then it's $50 for a book designed solely for the player. Though if they are breaking tradition and it does cover both player and GM stuff then there will be less gripping I think.

This is, of course, the kicker. If Wizards tries to ply us with three mandatory $50 sourcebooks even I'm going to raise an eyebrow.

...Before handing the clerk at my FLGS my credit card. And maybe drooling a little, for good measure.

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
People always seem to do the Pathfinder vs D&D math wrong.

"Pathfinder is all in one book!"
"D&D tries to sell us three books, effectively tripling the price of entry!"

Except the Pathfinder Core Rulebook does not have monsters. The Pathfinder Bestiary is equivalent to the Monster Manual. So really Pathfinder is selling you two books to D&D's three.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
I personally don't care much about the price tag... I'll buy and play 5e if the final version of the core is good enough for my tastes in all departments (i.e. ease of prep/running, large character variety, respect for D&D tradition, and inspiring art). If I like it and choose to buy it, up to ~200e (I have my limits too) for the whole core set is ok and it's not affecting my decision, but the cheaper the core, the more likely I am to buy some supplements. If the core starts expensive, I'm going to think it has to be enough for me for years, and I'll be unlikely to buy any supplement for a very long time if ever.

It's really just a business decision, in 3e they purposefully kept the core books cheap because they were the entry point to the game, but in 5e the entry point will be the Basic product. If they keep their word that Basic is "not a preview", then a price of 20e is perfect to attract potential new and casual gamers including families. However the name "starter set" sound exactly just like a preview...

Remove ads