Inquisitors should have been the name for Avengers

Saagael

First Post
It's like this, as I've noticed archery is good with all roles, except defenders (We have never seen an archer/ranged defender so far). The reason why I wanted to see a build like that for an avenger is because it fits them. I know you said that the class's design was to beat the enemies in melee to a pulp. But witchhunters, in the game of Oblivion, used bows and they had magic to help them combat and enchant their arrows.

You also mentioned that having a ranged build is counter to the avenger design, but what about the new defender barbarian they just released in heroes of the feywild? It's because a defender barbarian was plausible.

Please continue to give your arguments. Don't worry, this is just purely academic - if I may use the word. :)

To be honest, I think a ranger MC Avenger is exactly the description of a Witchhunter. Grab a radiant weapon and you can be shooting bolts of light into your witchy foes. Still, a lot of the Avenger's design goes into making a good cloth-wearing, big-weapon user. If you were to give them a ranged weapon, I'd suggest taking away their good AC, since, theoretically, they won't need it.

Which, again, points in the direction that it may be easier to take the witchhunter idea and make a PC with that, rather than a whole class.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
A refluffed slayer might actually do what you are looking for - they do excellent damage both in melee and at range (their striker mechanic applies to "weapon" damage), though their attacks don't have much in the way of effects and are all strength or dex (for ranged basics).

And being dex secondary, you can easily pump dex to both get that light armour feel and have decent ranged attacks.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I think the concept of a Witch-hunter as mentioned upthread sounds a lot like an Artificer,
...But witchhunters, in the game of Oblivion, used bows and they had magic to help them combat and enchant their arrows.

There are artificer feats to allow you to use bows with their powers. Many of their powers are ranged weapon powers. You could refluff the power source as divine, or multiclass or hybrid class something divine to add to it. Artificers have a Wisdom secondary build, and they hybrid exceptionally well, so this should be easy.

mneme

Explorer
I concur; Avengers are more holy warriors, temple guardians, executioners and ninjas. Paladins are "knights of the faith". Avengers don't pretend to knighthood; they're more "ruthless warriors of the faith".

That said, there are perfectly good Avenger ranged builds--generally built around basic attacks. Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases