D&D General Insanely Epic Arrow Deflection

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Normally I would say 4e is the most out of the Box D&D edition for Epic class effects but honestly 4e is for the most part actually rather tame even for martial impossibility realm*

*I suppose one could do a skill challenge where one protects groups of people and buildings from rains of arrows and ballista fire LOL so @Manbearcat may dispute me.

Last edited:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Think about this, a 3rd-level monk with 16 Dex can catch a Turnip thrown by a bystander, and hurl it back towards the commoner who threw it, dealing an average of 5 damage with a thrown turnip.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That movie is fun, but the whole point is it has an unreliable narrator, so nothing that happens should be taken at face value...
LOL that can be pretty fun in itself there is a graphic novel where there is an unreliable narrator who periodically interjects way over the top elements featuring himself into an already legendary story.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Normally I would say 4e is the most out of the Box D&D edition for Epic class effects but honestly 4e is for the most part actually rather tame even for martial impossibility realm*

*I suppose one could do a skill challenge where one protects groups of people and buildings from rains of arrows and ballista fire LOL so @Manbearcat may dispute me.

I will never understand the attraction this sort of stuff has to people--but if it makes you happy have at it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This is indeed what 4E represented to me. In the best way possible. :D
There is a monk ability that allows one to attack any enemy one is adjacent to during a round. But Is there an ability that allows one to grant armor class boosts to anyone you are adjacent to during the turn while allowing your speed worth of shifting? I am picturing how this could be leveraged to represent parrying arrows and attacks against allies and similar over a large part of the battlefields I think I just got a power idea for that controller monk build ;) huzzah

Still way more sedate than that wild craziness of course.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
I will never understand the attraction this sort of stuff has to people--but if it makes you happy have at it.

I very much understand the attraction, but the cynic in me expects that it works in practice exactly the opposite of how those that are attracted to it imagine.

The attraction is quite simple, "Wow, wouldn't this be cool for my PC to do!"

But the practice is in my experience rather different. The practice is that the GM says, "Wow, wouldn't this be cool for my NPC to do!"

In other words, my advice to those that find this an attractive thing to include in their game is to imagine how this plays out if they are the archer, and if they still find that the sort of thing that makes them happy, to go forward with their plans to include it.

Remove ads