• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Insert catchy captivating title about new feats]

Arkhandus

First Post
I never saw the original poster mention use of fractional saves. It's not like I failed to notice your comment, it just isn't automatically relevant. Nowhere near a majority of people use fractional BAB and saves. It most definitely cannot just be assumed when trying to balance feats, especially since it's not core.

If you wanted to limit it to main spellcaster types in the first place, rather than multiclass characters or warriors or whatnot, then instead of requiring +10 Base Will Save you should require 'caster level 15+' or 'ability to cast 7th-level spells' or whatever.

And, well, I'm not quite sure what the point of the feat is if it's really meant for mages and such, other than possibly being a mighty offensive ability for bards, who aren't really supposed to be offensive juggernaughts. Is it stands it's also available to monks, but then it would really make their high-level Quivering Palm ability seem pretty worthless. Wizards, sorcerers, clerics, and druids already have access to spells of instant death or mass destruction. While certainly that Instant Kill feat is superior in certain circumstances, I don't much see a need for it with casters as-is. Just saying.

jbuck

First Post
Arkhandus said:
After 5th-level they just keep advancing as a Wizard and making sure they get the best Headband of Intellect available whenever they can afford it. 18 Int to start, reaches 19 at 4th, so Fort DC 23 at 6th, up to DC 24 at 8th, DC 25 at 16th onward. Plus another 1-3 on the DC depending on what potency of Headband is acquired. And with a Tome of....whatever it was called, they could get an inherant Int bonus further boosting the DC. With tons of daily Instant Kill uses at high level.

So yeah, Instant Kill is overpowered.

yeah and dont forget that i took practiced spellcaster at 3rd so im casting as a 5th lvl wizard as well as the rest.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Fine, I admit my fault... then...

NEGATOR
You can force a creature (or even an object) outside reality by concentrating on its non-existance.
Prereqs: Caster level 12th, Cha/Int 16.
Benefits: Once per day, you can concentrate on one creature (or object) within 220 ft. Make a ranged touch attack as you fix your complete attention upon that target. Given that the attack is succesful, the creature (or object) must make a succesful fortitude save (DC 16+your int modifier) or receive 24d6 damage, should that damage reduce the target to 0 or less hit points, it is utterly consumed and only a trace of fine dust is left behind.
Should the creature or object succeed the saving throw, it instead receives receive 5d6 damage, should that damage reduce the target to 0 or less hit points, it is utterly consumed and only a trace of fine dust is left behind.
Note: You can disintegrate as much as a 10-ft cube of nonliving matter.
Advancement: Per character level you possess over 12, the range of the attack extends by 10 ft, the damage dealt increases by 2d6, and you gain an extra use of this feat.

vs.

GREATER WEAPON SPECIALIZATION
Choose one type of weapon for which you have already selected Weapon Specialization. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple as your weapon for purposes of this feat.
Prerequisites: Proficiency with selected weapon, Greater Weapon Focus with selected weapon, Weapon Focus with selected weapon, Weapon Specialization with selected weapon, fighter level 12th.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on all damage rolls you make using the selected weapon. This bonus stacks with other bonuses on damage rolls, including the one from Weapon Specialization (see below).
Special: You can gain Greater Weapon Specialization multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
He was putting them up for comparison or something, not presenting GWS as a new feat. But, I still don't quite know what the point of the feats like Instant Kill or Negator is.

Why do mages need what is essentially another death spell (that doesn't even count as one, in fact, so it gets around various immunities and other defenses that a spell like Phantasmal Killer or Wail Of The Banshee would face) in the form of a feat? Anyway, Negator seems a magnitute greater in power than I'd expect from a feat. Most notably the 'advancement' part, saying that it gains extra daily uses and deals more damage to boot. And as mentioned, since it isn't even a spell (let alone one with the Death descriptor, or Disintegrate in its name), it can't really be countered or protected against, nor can it be interrupted during activation. It's not even described as being magical, spell-like, supernatural, or anything.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Well, I want to think that even if it declared itself as a Spell-like ability, Disintegrate, it'd still be quite a bit more powerful than GWS.

BTW:
Just a almost-random comment I saw at the WotC boards...
High level fighters, so as to be on par with spellcasters, would have to be rebuilt to have a more anime-y feel, being able to reproduce effects akin to spells.

Last edited:

Remove ads