D&D 5E Intended for Competition with Pathfinder?

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
not being infinitely rich or blessed with infinite amounts of time, any playing of one I do will probably cut into the play time I would have had for the other and I won't invest as heavily in both games as I would in one.

Thanks for the input; this is exactly the sort of information I was hoping to glean.

For my part, I don't expect the existence of D&D5 to change the Pathfinder books I buy, or vice versa. That is certainly the case now -- I do not have a complete collection of either Pathfinder or D&D4 books -- far from it -- but the books I don't own are books I don't want, not books I would have bought if not for the other system.

They stopped development on 4e earlier than was apparently planned (since they cancelled products already in the works) and announced a new revision under development that would hopefully appeal to fans of all editions. If that isn't a statement that 4e wasn't living up to hopes (however successful it may have been) and that they were feeling the loss of Pathfinder players and fans and wanted to produce a game that attracted them back as customers, then I don't know what would be.

My point is only that the above statement is no less true if you remove the bold text.

I think they're purposely doing very different things to avoid too much direct competition. They're focusing on very different styles of play. For now.

Remove ads