• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intentionally underpowered psion - now what?

Flyspeck23

First Post
Right now me and my players are preparing to launch another Eberron campaign. One of my players made a kalashtar psion, and that's cool, but...
He intentionally took only mediocre to lame psionic powers at 1st level. Not a single one could be used in combat, and most even have little value outside of combat (ain't got the character sheet here right now, so I can't give you any power names).

Don't get me wrong - I think the concept of the character is pretty neat, but I'm worried. How will the other players react to a character who won't live up to his potential? He won't attack opponents most of the time (and even if he did, he most likely wouldn't hit), he can't use his psionics in an offensive manner, he can't heal or buff party members.

We are trying to focus less on combat, but still combats are bound to happen, and I think (judging on past experiences with the same group) the other players will pick on the psion.

What should I do? Talk to the player to change his powers? Talk to the other players?
And if he runs with his character unchanged, what can I as the DM do to make this character shine (somewhat) in combat (I'm not worried about anything else - the player will cope, I'm sure)?

Li Shenron

Legend
See what happens after a while, before worrying.

Me, I'd be glad to finally see some character who is NOT built around combat. ;)

As in the real world, if someone isn't suited for something, he eventually tries not to have to do that, and solve his problems in another way. Therefore I would expect this psion to avoid starting a fight at all. Other characters may only be able to smash things and therefore they'll always try to start a fight instead. Usually, the smash-attitude always wins, since it takes a single shot to start a fight, and much more effort to stop it :p

This character however must be good at something, right? It may not be easy, but you can always provide situtations which can or should be solved with this PC's "tools". Or at worse, which can be solved with everybody's tools, such as dialogues or riddles.

reanjr

First Post
Flyspeck23 said:
Right now me and my players are preparing to launch another Eberron campaign. One of my players made a kalashtar psion, and that's cool, but...
He intentionally took only mediocre to lame psionic powers at 1st level. Not a single one could be used in combat, and most even have little value outside of combat (ain't got the character sheet here right now, so I can't give you any power names).

Don't get me wrong - I think the concept of the character is pretty neat, but I'm worried. How will the other players react to a character who won't live up to his potential? He won't attack opponents most of the time (and even if he did, he most likely wouldn't hit), he can't use his psionics in an offensive manner, he can't heal or buff party members.

We are trying to focus less on combat, but still combats are bound to happen, and I think (judging on past experiences with the same group) the other players will pick on the psion.

What should I do? Talk to the player to change his powers? Talk to the other players?
And if he runs with his character unchanged, what can I as the DM do to make this character shine (somewhat) in combat (I'm not worried about anything else - the player will cope, I'm sure)?

Depends on the group. One of the last games I PLAYED in, I got booted for playing an abjurer; the DM dicated that all wizards were denied Evocation, and my specialty denied school was Conjuration. The DM didn't mind, but the party pulled a he plays or we play. If the other players are unhappy with the character, make sure they at least give it a chance, and then give the player a chance to build a new character. Whatever you do, don't let it escalate into the situation I was in.

(Personally, if any player ever gave me an ultimatum, even if it was the entire group, they'd be out; I can find better things to do than placate people during my free time).

lior_shapira

Explorer
I play a Kalashtar Psion(Shaper) lvl 5 (started 2) in an Eberron campaign and I can tell you a little of my experience.

My character is an academic at heart, not very combat oriented. I did take 'astral construct' and 'energy ray' as 1st level powers, but I did have the 'missing most of my attacks' problem (and still do). Its been good playing him so far and although I'm rarely a major factor in combats I have a hell of a time. When my character isn't running away to find cover he manages to create an astral construct who deals some damage, and even when I miss with the energy ray, its nice to see my comrades scurrying for cover from the roving rays of fiery death ;-)

My fellow players are pretty tolerant and in-character the half orc barbarian spread his wings over my character and is trying to improve his combat abilities. It can be a nice part of the ongoing campaign

my 2 cents
lior

shilsen

Adventurer
I think it depends to a great extent on why the group is together. If they are friends, or know each other beforehand, or there is an overarching reason why those specific individuals should be working together, it's fine. But if they are simply together because they all met in a bar and decided to go adventuring (I hope not!) together, then there is no real in-character reason for them to keep the psion around (other than the metagame reason that he's another PC), esp. if his ineffectuality in combat is going to put them at risk.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to talk to the psion's player about your concerns and see what he thinks. In practice, if it turns out he isn't pulling his weight in combat and the others are unhappy about it, as he gains levels he can start focusing on powers which will help in combat (a nice realistic version of character growth). And you might also find that it's not as bad as you think, in practice. A smart player can almost always make a difference in combat, however technically weak the character may be.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Flyspeck23 said:

Perhaps the key thing here is to find out why he chose those particular powers and how they fit into his character as he visualises it? As you said, he intentionally chose a certain group of powers. What was his intention?

Was it "ha ha, I'll produce the lamest character I can!"? I wouldn't have thought so :)

Cheers

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I'll echo Plane Sailing. Why did he make the character the way he did? Why is the character adventuring? And, lastly, what does he think is the reason that other adventurers would want to split their hard-earned loot with someone who isn't "pulling their weight"?

There are good possible answers to all of these questions, but it's a good idea to learn what they are so that everyone can be on the same page.

Greylock

First Post
Piling it on...

I can see a flawed character, or a character with weaknesses or blind-spots, but an overall intentionally underpowered char? Like my DM told me when I felt my char was uber, this is a game about Hero's and Heroines. The other players would be justified in feeling cheated.

Flyspeck23

First Post
Thanks@all!

Li Shenron said:
See what happens after a while, before worrying.

You're probably right. Because...

shilsen said:
In practice, if it turns out he isn't pulling his weight in combat and the others are unhappy about it, as he gains levels he can start focusing on powers which will help in combat (a nice realistic version of character growth).

Maybe that's what the player has in mind too.

Plane Sailing said:
Perhaps the key thing here is to find out why he chose those particular powers and how they fit into his character as he visualises it? As you said, he intentionally chose a certain group of powers. What was his intention?

Was it "ha ha, I'll produce the lamest character I can!"? I wouldn't have thought so :)

No, that wasn't the intention. He wants to play a peaceful character, that's all.

Kid Charlemagne said:
And, lastly, what does he think is the reason that other adventurers would want to split their hard-earned loot with someone who isn't "pulling their weight"?

Well, I can't tell for sure, but I guess he wouldn't want a full share anyway... but I'll ask him :)

BlackMoria

First Post
The problem will probably be self correcting.

If the campaign is combat intensive, the character will either learn to pull his weight (develop more combat capability), the character will die (lack of combat capability) or the player will grow tired of his character concept since it is so at odds to the way the campaign is running and his character will feel like a fish out of water.

That is not to say the concept will not work. I play in a AU online game and we have a character (an Akashic) that was for the longest time was virtually dead weight in combat. But this character was our skill guy and he excelled at that. He just totally sucked in combat. Since the campaign is a nice balance of combat and intrigue, the akashic had a valuable role. He just learned to take cover when the fighting broke out. Over time, the akashic developed more combat capability and while he is not a powerhouse compared to the other characters when it comes to combat, he can now hold his own in a fight.

In short, the success or failure of this person's character concept is dependent on two things - how much combat is in the campaign and whether or not his character concept can shine when there is no combat.

Remove ads