Interaction between Essassin and a Familiar

Ryujin

Legend
It should be kept in mind that these poisons specifically must be applied to a weapon. At no point is a summoned monster a weapon.

This is true, but the familiar in question specifically states that it can contain one dose of a poison or alchemical oil, that can be applied to a weapon. Once per encounter, when the master of the familiar or an ally is adjacent to the scorpion (in active mode) and hits an opponent with a weapon attack, the attack can benefit from the stored substance.

Incenjucar

Legend
This is true, but the familiar in question specifically states that it can contain one dose of a poison or alchemical oil, that can be applied to a weapon. Once per encounter, when the master of the familiar or an ally is adjacent to the scorpion (in active mode) and hits an opponent with a weapon attack, the attack can benefit from the stored substance.

At best, the assassin could apply it to its own weapon. An ally wouldn't be able to use it.

Damon_Tor

First Post
There are RAW justifications either way, so it's unclear. RAI, it's unlikely this combo was ever considered by the developers of the Executioner.

So it's up to the DM.

Q. Is it imbalanced?
A. No. There's little to no mechanical benefit to doing this, as opposed to applying the poison yourself. It also costs two feats, one of which is your multiclass feat, and no arcane multiclass feats are particularly good for an Executioner except for the Warlock one that gives you one use of their curse... and that one is a pain to qualify for anyway, and others (rogue, ranger, avenger) are superior.

Q. Is it cool?
A. Kinda, I guess. Robot scorpion to poison people? Kinda fun.

So why not?

Incenjucar

Legend
I'm not familiar enough with the Essassin to judge the balance of this... if poisons can only be applied once per encounter then this could double how often the character uses an encounter power... I'd have to get DDI again to check, and to see whether it would actually matter.

Damon_Tor

First Post
No, poisons are a daily resource, limited by dose: If the Executioner prepares 3 vials of poison for the day and puts one in his scorpion, he only has two left.

Again, there is zero mechanical advantage for doing this. It doesn't even help the executioner avoid "wasting" the poison, because (a) most of the poisons applicable in this context aren't expended on a miss anyway and (b) both builds of executioners have miss-proof means of applying their poisons via their dagger or blowgun.

twilsemail

First Post
Am I missing some in-joke on "Essassin" or are you just really bad at typing?

As has been noted, Essassin is a general abbreviation for Essentials Assassin. I've seen it a few places now, including these boards.

I hope this isn't one of those "PEACH" style imports from the WotC boards, which I aim lasers of fiery burny death at.

Nah, I was just browsing for a flavorful familiar for an Assassin MCed into Warlock. While they're generally not worth the feat, I really like Familiars in general. I think they tend to add some personality to a PC along with a minor mechanical bump. While browsing, I found the Clockwork Scorpion and this question popped up.

Most questions here have been answered by others. I don't know that this working would be a major boon to the Assassin so much as a flavorful add to the encounter. It's something to think about. Thanks all.

Incenjucar

Legend
No, poisons are a daily resource, limited by dose: If the Executioner prepares 3 vials of poison for the day and puts one in his scorpion, he only has two left.

Again, there is zero mechanical advantage for doing this. It doesn't even help the executioner avoid "wasting" the poison, because (a) most of the poisons applicable in this context aren't expended on a miss anyway and (b) both builds of executioners have miss-proof means of applying their poisons via their dagger or blowgun.

So long as the player isn't saving up an extra dose from a non-combat day, it's probably fine.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases