D&D 5E Interest In A More Esoteric 5e?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Pulling an idea from the Warlock thread, I'd like to see what a Gunslinger class might look like. I'm thinking King's Dark Tower here, so probably actual firearms, but I can think of some ways around that. I might start by taking a look at the Artillerist combined with some kind of Hexblade or Blade Pact Warlock.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Pulling an idea from the Warlock thread, I'd like to see what a Gunslinger class might look like. I'm thinking King's Dark Tower here, so probably actual firearms, but I can think of some ways around that. I might start by taking a look at the Artillerist combined with some kind of Hexblade of Blade Pact Warlock.
Hex-slinger does sound sexy as hell for a class concept!

Stormonu

Legend
I was very sad when the Leadership feat was yanked after 3E.

The noble background has an allusion to that sort of thing, and there are the sidekick rules and patrons that could be scavenged for a more robust system of followers, assistants and sycophants.

I’d also be interested in a sort of gunslinger class for more high magic campaigns; maybe start at a “wandslinger” base with add-ins for those campaigns more open to firearms and the like.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'm pretty sure you build the class from a mechanical standpoint where it would cover both firearms and not, with only some minor reskinning and maybe a rule or two to switch back and forth. If the range, damage, rate of fire, and ribbons and abilities all fit it'll work for both. IMO anyway.

Tales and Chronicles

I think a mystic gunslinger, despite being too cool for school as a concept, would be better treated as an archetype, probably for you Archer class that uses a deep focus mechanic.

I mean, Roland was a Kensei with a gun and a Errand Knight background. Too bad that flurry of blow cant be used with a ranged weapon!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think a mystic gunslinger, despite being too cool for school as a concept, would be better treated as an archetype, probably for you Archer class that uses a deep focus mechanic.

I mean, Roland was a Kensei with a gun and a Errand Knight background. Too bad that flurry of blow cant be used with a ranged weapon!
I don't disagree completely, but I do think that custom designing the whole class to do exactly what you want out of a concept is more likely to get the result I'm looking for. YMMV.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah I’m torn on the Gunslinger. The Archer’s Focus mechanics do a lot of the work needed, and the subclass could layer on the esoterica. OTOH, a class designed for it could be really wild.

And if the Paladin can exist in the PHB, I think a mystic gunslinger could work just fine in 5e.

Tales and Chronicles

Yeah I’m torn on the Gunslinger. The Archer’s Focus mechanics do a lot of the work needed, and the subclass could layer on the esoterica. OTOH, a class designed for it could be really wild.

And if the Paladin can exist in the PHB, I think a mystic gunslinger could work just fine in 5e.
I'd be all-in to remove the paladin and change it for a gun-knight!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases