• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Interest in solo adventure?

I'd like to know whether anyone is interested in playing a solo 5e adventure. That's right. One DM, and one player. I've run a solo PbP in the past, with good results, but that was under the 3.5 rubric.

I've been investigating solo modules for 5e, and how to tweak mechanics and player choices under the 5e rules in order to best make a solo game function at peak performance. Some of the options I'm considering are: 1) permitting the leadership feat and cohorts; 2) permitting the use of cure light (if the character is a wizard, sorcerer, etc) in an arcane caster's spellbook or spell repetoire; 3) granting additional feats, particularly Toughness; 4) scaling down encounters to make them more manageable for one PC; 5) encouraging tactics like negotiation to overcome encounters; and 6) tweaking ability checks to permit suped-up healing.

One of the main benefits of playing in a solo adventure is that the player gets to enjoy particularlized, tailored DM attention. I think that's probably attractive to most of us!

The adventure I have in mind " . . . takes place after a Total Party Kill (TPK). It allows a group of DEAD PCs to earn a second chance by fighting their way through the first layer of Hell to retrieve a stolen artifact. It is unlike other modules in that it is written to accommodate a party of any size and any level (1 to 20)." See RH3 Fires of Hell, Ronnie Hart, December 25, 2014, available at http://merricb.com/2014/08/03/the-great-list-of-dungeons-dragons-5e-adventures/.

Caveat: I have plenty on my plate at the moment, so any solo adventure I DM could be planned now but would have to sit tight for a number of months while I wait for either Stonefast (my current 5-player 5e PbP) or some of the other games in which I play to finish.

Shayuri

First Post
I've run and played solo games with online friends. They're a hoot and a half!

And you needing time is actually good, cuz I'm pretty stuffed right now too. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads