Interest in western fantsy genre?

pathfinderq1

First Post
I don't know how the d20 version is different, but the regular Deadlands setting is straight western/horror- while the mechanics might not be useful, you ought to be able to get ideas and flavor, and much of the materials is probably available for cheap. Having been in a few Deadlands PbP games back in the day, I know that both halves of the combination can provide excellent gameplay and storytelling. In another vein, the story game Dogs in the Vineyard uses a reimagined western setting (albeit very heavily focused on religion and faith) and might also have something to offer. Sidewinder: recoiled and Aces and Eights are some other things that seem well-regarded, but I haven't checked them out in person.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Deadlands to me seemed pretty much non-apocalyptic until the later releases.

However, to be of more assistance:

1) Check out the fiction of Kurt Giambastiani- he has an excellent series of novels in which the Native Americans weren't just steamrollered by the gunpowder using, horse riding Europeans because they had semi-domesticated dinosaurs.

Riding their smallish raptors, their mounted archery tactics made them enough of a problem to expansion-minded European settlers that the Westward Expansion/Manifest Destiny just kind of fizzled.

2) If you have Northern Crown, you really should pick up Nyambe. It expands the African-themed magic and mysticism only hinted at in NC.

3) I know its old, but the original run of Marvel Comics' Alpha Flight included a number of mystical characters designed around New World mythology, including Snow Bird, Shaman and Sasquatch.

4) Check out some of the earlier editions of D&D. At least one of the original game's designers was a western themed mage (I forget which one, and I just finished packing up all of my early gaming material because I'm doing a renovation). His schtick- he was a gunslinger who kept firing magic missiles from his six-shooters.

Slider Wade

Banned
Banned
2) If you have Northern Crown, you really should pick up Nyambe. It expands the African-themed magic and mysticism only hinted at in NC.
I do have Northern Crown, but not Nyambe. I'm pretty sure my GM has it, so I'll ask to borrow it. Thanks for the tip.

4) Check out some of the earlier editions of D&D. At least one of the original game's designers was a western themed mage (I forget which one, and I just finished packing up all of my early gaming material because I'm doing a renovation). His schtick- he was a gunslinger who kept firing magic missiles from his six-shooters.
I've got the Dragon Magazine Archive, so I'll look though it. I know I saw the Sixguns & Sesheyyans article in one of the PDFs.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I found him!

Murlynd

Murlynd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Murlynd's symbol is a solid, six-pointed star with rounded points.

Murlynd takes the form of a handsome Oeridian male with weathered features. He is clothed in worn leather, and wears a light-colored hat of a type unfamiliar to the Flanaess. He appears aloof and taciturn, though he is quite personable among his allies. Murlynd is dangerous only when provoked by evil beings. He is known to wield the longsword, battle axe, and crossbow, as well as weapons of more unusual make. Murlynd is especially fond of a pair of strange, hand-held weapons that emit powerful projectiles. Murlynd has referred to these weapons variously as "45's," "six shooters," and "hog legs".

Note: An illustration in Dragon #71 showed Murlynd dressed in "Old West" garb, wearing a cowboy hat. In fact, the illustration bore a strong resemblance to John Wayne.

So Dragon #71 is where you want to look.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases