D&D 5E Interested in seeing your homebrew 5e Magic Items

Sonic Wand

Wand, very rare (requires attunement)

This small wand functions as a set of thieves’ tools +2 and can be used to cast the following spells: Knock (1 charge), Arcane Lock (1 charge), Shatter (2 charges). You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend. It has 7 charges. It regains 1d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the wand's last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand overheats and melts.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
From my latest Underdark mini-campaign

The Thrumbow
Weapon (longbow), very rare (requires attunement)

When you make a ranged attack with this weapon and hit, you may expend one charge and deal and extra 2d6 thunder damage to that target. The Thrumbow has 4 charges. And regains 1d4 charges daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1 the bow shatters and is destroyed. All arrows shot from the Thrumbow are considered magical for the purpose of overcoming resistances and immunities to non-magical weapons.

Also while holding the Thrumbow, you have advantage on any (wisdom) perception check that relies on hearing or touch.

Resonance
Wondrous Item, very rare (requires attunement)

This tuning fork may be used as a bardic focus for your spells whilst wearing or holding it, and you gain a +1 bonus to spell attacks and to saving throw DC’s of your bardic spells.

Also, when you cast a spell that deals psychic damage, the targets make their save with disadvantage.

The Blood Rope
Wondrous Item Rare, (Requires attunement)

This magical 20’ rope, extends by five feet for every hit point of blood that is infused by the attuned user. The extension lasts for 1 hour.

Tallifer

Hero
Gnomish Cookies
Unfortunately the full details are lost on scraps of paper. I had a habit of dreaming up campaign stuff on long subway rides or during boring meetings.
For example Gnomes would collect needles from Dryad trees and bake magical cookies which might cover you with long, sharp and shootable quills. Some cookies had unoriginal effects like healing for the sake of the players, but for most of the cookies I would first think of a fantastic ingredient Cookie Gnomes could harvest or buy such as Snappleberries, and then think of a couple of cool or at least appropriate effects.
I have since thought that, if I ran again, I would have the Cookie Gnomes also bake something with more permanent effects. Perhaps pies.

14 Hardrock snails scripted resized.JPG

The cookies of course appear in my webcomic reteeling of those old 4E and 5E campaigns: Tales from the Gnomish Tarot

Homebrewing this right here - not (yet) used in my own campaigns:

Bag of Arrowheads
This small leather bag contains 4d6 arrowheads which can be fitted neatly on normal arrows or bolts taking 1 minute per arrow or bolt. If you hit a target with an arrow, roll 1d10 to see which effect takes place:
  • 1-2: You deal an additional 1d6 thunder damage and a loud crack is heard within 100 ft
  • 3-4: A gust of wind accompanies this arrow, dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage and if the target is a creature size medium or smaller it must make a DC15 Strength save or be shoved back 10 ft.
  • 5-6: The arrow head splits into tiny fragments, dealing 2d8 piercing damage on top of the normal damage of the arrow.
  • 7-8: As it hits, the arrow emits a bright light. The target and all creatures within 5 ft of the target must make a DC12 Constitution save or be blinded until the start of your next turn
  • 9: The arrow head turns into a small rubber stopper. The hit deals no damage.
  • 10: The arrowhead explodes into bright ball of fire, dealing damage to the target and its surroundings as if the Fireball spell was cast on the point where it impacts the target.
Seems fitting for an arcane archer.

My players usually love randomness, because they get to roll more dice. If you like, you can even keep the list of effects a secret until the PC rolls for the effect, revealing only the rolled number.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Rift Shard
A short flat spike of smokey white crystal with a length of silk wrapped around the wide end to serve as the grip,
Weapon (Dagger)
1d4 Piercing damage
Finesse, Light, Thrown (20/60),

While wielding this weapon you may take the following actions:
-If you successfully deal damage with this weapon you may also attempt to teleport them 15ft in any direction you choose, They make a competing WIS check against you to prevent being moved.
-If you successfully make a ranged attack roll with this weapon you can use your bonus action to teleport to any adjacent square to the target, In addition, instead of dealing the dagger's damage you may choose to attempt to make a new melee attack roll against the target with any other weapon in your possession.
-3/Long Rest, When you take damage you can use your reaction to halve the damage taken and teleport 10ft in a random direction, Roll a d8 to determine the direction, 1 is 'north' in the direction your character is facing, 2 is north-east and so on continuing clockwise, if your destination is occupied reroll the dice.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I introduced all of the items from the 80s DnD cartoon into my game. The one that would fit your party.

Ranger's Magic Bow
Operates as a +1 longbow. Does not require ammunition. Deals force damage instead of piercing.

Acrobats Springing Pole
Operates as a +1 quarterstaff. Magically extends and shrinks to allow the user a climb speed as long as they start the move on a solid surface.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've created a few that have been, or are intended to be, introduced into my games.

Adept's Herbalist Pouch
Requires proficiency with a Herbalism kit
This herbalist pouch allows the user to use a bonus action to reach into the pouch and draw out a herbal brew. Each brew last for 1 minute and only targets a single person regardless of the spell's original number of targets. The herbalist pouch has 10 charges and can be restocked in town (2 gp/charge) or while traveling through the wilderness (1d3 charges per day). Herbal brews are always cast at the lowest possible spell level.
Available spells are: barkskin (2 charges), cure wounds, darkvision (2 charges), enhance ability (2 charges), lesser restoration (2 charges), longstrider, protection from poison (2 charges), purify food & drink, and sleep.
This herbalist pouch I'm also considering as just being an expansion to herbalism, no magic item required.

Dragonfang
Uncommon, requires attunement by a dragonborn
A dragonfang is a magical item common in the ancient dragonborn empire of Arkhosia. Normally these took the form of enchanted daggers, shortswords, or longswords. Each dragonfang is a +1 weapon, when wielded by a dragonborn, they are able to unleash a concentrated burst of their breath weapon through the dragonfang. When you hit with a dragonfang, you can expend a use of your breath weapon to deal additional damage equal to your breath weapon. The damage is the same type as your breath weapon.
The dragonfang weapon's have become a bit better I feel, now that the dragonborn have been updated.

Planar Shards
Uncommon, rare, epic, legendary
Planar shards look like small stones with a glow of energy within them. They can be attached to weapons by a skilled weapon smith to grant a weapon additional elemental damage. When attached to a weapon, the weapon counts as magical. Higher quality shards will also provide a non-stacking magic item bonus.

Rarity Magic item bonus Damage die
Uncommon - 1d6
Rare - 1d8
Epic +1 1d10
Legendary +1 2d6
Planar shards might show up anywhere that the various planes interact. In my campaign, the players found an an uncommon shadowfel shard when they closed a gate between the shadowfel and the prime. They attached it to the barbarian's warhammer, granting it an additional 1d6 necrotic damage. Essentially these items make any weapon a magical weapon similar to a flametongue. They may also be used as components for other magical items like wands or armour of resistance.

Remove ads