D&D (2024) Intimidation vs Morale

Pauln6

Hero
That's a good observation. Don't let the barbarian go around casting quasi-sleep nor quasi-fear. The barb can Charisma check (or Intimidate, for you skill-lovers) one opponent, the situation can Charisma check everyone. Further, making an opponent run away with Charisma counts as an action, because if it's free, then it's even better than quasi-fear. For results, see below.

Which DMG? Since you're playing D&D 5e (or OneD&D, which "is not a new edition"), you don't want numbers stacking up. That was 3rd ed. If you have to roll, use Advantage or Disadvantage as appropriate.

As far as when to roll, I'm thinking you can ask yourself two fairly simple questions when they seem appropriate. As the NPC:

1. Do I think I'm going to die if I keep fighting?
  2. Is the reason I'm fighting worth dying for?
Yes! Very succinct. I think the smarter the monster the less the need to determine its decision-making with random rolling.

Which brings us to another question - should heroes be able to make a skill check to dissuade enemies from retreating as a reaction?

Pauln6

Hero
I just stole demoralize from PF2E. You make a intimidation check against 10 + their will save. If you succeed they're frightened for one round. It's an action, but if you have intimidation as a class skill or have expertise in it, you can do it as a bonus action. Each character can only do it once per creature per combat.
The only issue I have with that is that it bases the creature's resistance on its wisdom as opposed to its racial tendencies / personality. It's simple and tidy though.

I think I am erring towards:

Adopt the Morale scores awarded in 2e where possible. Use the chart above where not.

Morale Checks (a d20 roll) should be rolled (DM's discretion) when:
Single target reaches half hp
Single or multiple targets - Leader/spell-caster unconscious or killed
Single or multiple targets - Half your allies unconscious or killed

Roll only once for each scenario per combat. The DM may also decide that creatures may have pre-planned tactics which may take precedence over certain Morale checks.

At the start of the creature's next turn the creature will attempt to remove itself from combat. If failed by more than 5 the creature will flee in panic without regard to opportunity attacks or class features. If failed by more than 10 it surrenders. The DM may use discretion as appropriate.

Where the circumstances for a Morale check apply, as an action or one of their attacks when using Extra Attack class feature, a PC can attempt to force an additional Morale check by making an Intimidation roll with disadvantage (using either Strength or Charisma) against any targets that can see or hear within 30 feet. If the Intimidation check beats the creatures' Morale score the creature is treated as having failed its Morale check.

Morale Scores are modified in the following ways:

Defending Lair +3
Outnumber opponent 3 or more to 1 +2
Leader or Most Powerful Ally is alive or conscious +4
Creatures use magic or have an ally that can use magic +2
Creatures are fighting magic-using foes -2

Last edited:

Remove ads