Into the Mother Lands: A Sci-fi RPG by PoC Designers

When Eugenio Vargas spoke to us on our podcast back in November about this Afrofuturist RPG, it was still months away. Now the game has hit Kickstarter, and has made over $100K in the first couple of days! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cypheroftyr/into-the-mother-lands-rpg Imagine if African explorers had set sail for the New World long before Europeans did... but got transported to a...

When Eugenio Vargas spoke to us on our podcast back in November about this Afrofuturist RPG, it was still months away. Now the game has hit Kickstarter, and has made over $100K in the first couple of days!

Imagine if African explorers had set sail for the New World long before Europeans did... but got transported to a new planet instead! This planet is developed by a civilisation of African descent.

1A0A38F1-68E9-4936-A255-955D391E35CB.jpeg

Choose from five cultures and several professions such as the Bio Priest or the Spine Ripper.

The team behind Into the Mother Lands is a group RPG designers, all people of colour, led by Tanya DePass, the founder of the non-profit group I Need Diverse Games.

You can pick up the PDF for $25 or the hardcover for $50, plus an array of dice, screens, maps, sheets and more.

473D92C1-6D5B-4708-876B-F3E586794352.jpeg

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Really? The term "mother lands" or "motherland" is hardly a unique Russian phrase. I have no problem with it, and I think this is a bit of a silly complaint.
The only way to get new information - for instance when you suspect there is a gap in your existing knowledge base - is to ask questions and seek answers.

The careers are a little swingy in the tone department, aren't they?

Hi, My name is Raduin, I am a light bringer. I practice medicine and I have an energy sword! And these are my friends, the Blade Keeper (you can tell who he is by his buzz saw badge he's wearing) and the Spine Ripper. (Just don't look directly at him, and you'll be fine)

The careers are a little swingy in the tone department, aren't they?

Hi, My name is Raduin, I am a light bringer. I practice medicine and I have an energy sword! And these are my friends, the Blade Keeper (you can tell who he is by his buzz saw badge he's wearing) and the Spine Ripper. (Just don't look directly at him, and you'll be fine)

I feel like Spine Rippers have a whole lot to live up to, name-wise. And like if I were playing a character in that setting I'd want to just wreck every one that I met, on principle.

imagineGod

Legend
It is good for creators to be clear when communicating design goals. .

However, it can be done without the vehemence shown to 5e by the creator. Adding that qualifier of absolutely not, is terribly disappointing and unnecessary.

kickstarter.jpg

aramis erak

Legend

However, it can be done without the vehemence shown to 5e by the creator. Adding that qualifier of absolutely not, is terribly disappointing and unnecessary.

View attachment 138295
@Morrus This is an exemplar of a "this update scares off potential backers."
It's providing only negative vibes.
It's telling off the largest demographic, while not providing any assurances that it will be playable.
Screams "Amateur hour."

It could be an emphasis due to a lot of people asking if it's 5e rather than any negativity towards 5e itself.

Hard to tell without context.

Anyway I wish them best, but there's no way I'd back without knowing the system.

Bagpuss

Legend
Five days left in the campaign and still no word on the system. Increasingly bizarre to me.
If they wanted Cortex they should have negotiated how much they had to pay for the license before starting the kickstarter, then they would known the campaign goal. As it is the Cortex people can see how well it does and say tell you want we'll have 50% of that.

There is no logic to the way they have gone about it.

Last edited:

View attachment 138295
Don't know her well. Looked up her wikipedia page

Which says:
She also plays Dungeons & Dragons in the Rivals of Waterdeep actual play livestream, which features a cast of people of color.[9][10] The show began in 2018 in Chicago as an official Wizards of the Coast production, broadcast on the official Dungeons & Dragons Twitch channel
and
In 2021, DePass became a player in The Black Dice Society, a Ravenloft themed Dungeons & Dragons actual play show on the official Wizards of the Coast channels.[16][17]
Think she was also a guest on DRAGONTALK recently

Not anti-D&D
You're projecting

Remove ads

Remove ads