Into the Mother Lands: A Sci-fi RPG by PoC Designers

When Eugenio Vargas spoke to us on our podcast back in November about this Afrofuturist RPG, it was still months away. Now the game has hit Kickstarter, and has made over $100K in the first couple of days!

Imagine if African explorers had set sail for the New World long before Europeans did... but got transported to a new planet instead! This planet is developed by a civilisation of African descent.

1A0A38F1-68E9-4936-A255-955D391E35CB.jpeg

Choose from five cultures and several professions such as the Bio Priest or the Spine Ripper.

The team behind Into the Mother Lands is a group RPG designers, all people of colour, led by Tanya DePass, the founder of the non-profit group I Need Diverse Games.

You can pick up the PDF for $25 or the hardcover for $50, plus an array of dice, screens, maps, sheets and more.

473D92C1-6D5B-4708-876B-F3E586794352.jpeg

Last edited:

Arilyn

Hero
I have more games than I'll ever play, but they make me happy. And sometimes I'll grab a RPG that's been sitting on our shelf not getting played, and we'll use it and have a blast.

And giving money to a game designer for a game I may never play doesn't bother me at all. I like to support designers.

Don't get me started on dice. Now that may be an actual problem. 🤣

imagineGod

Legend
I have more games than I'll ever play, but they make me happy. And sometimes I'll grab a RPG that's been sitting on our shelf not getting played, and we'll use it and have a blast.

And giving money to a game designer for a game I may never play doesn't bother me at all. I like to support designers.

Don't get me started on dice. Now that may be an actual problem. 🤣
In that case let me tempt you with spherical dice.

I would have collected these myself, but I look upon my vast collection and have too many already, including 12 Gio Lasar constellation d6 dice I for d6 Star Wars (though astronomically they are wrong for a galaxy far away).

kickstarter_orbidice_white_dragon_eggs.jpg

Final note on this campaign: Ended at about $360k, which is awesome. But still no word on the system, which I personally think is not awesome. And the final video ends with "we can't wait to share with you what we're going to create." Isn't that what the campaign is for, to share that?

Anyway, enough of that. I'd say I wish them luck, but I feel like they kinda didn't really explain what they were doing, leaving you to have to watch their streams to get real context. So they don't need luck, since they already have a big enough fanbase.

Bagpuss

Legend
Six months after the campaign has closed they have finally announced they won’t be using Cortex but developing their own in house system.

Bagpuss

Legend
Any details? Or just that that's their plan?

from a backer only post

Alright, after conferring with the folks working on the game and making sure we got you info since people... keep... asking. Here's the deal with mechanics.

We are not going to use Cortex Prime. Why? Biggest issue was licensing and finding something that fit and was fair to both parties. Also the cost of licensing would have been a whole lot. So what will Mother Lands RPG run on? Our own system, which you all will get to test, beat up and give feedback on soon.

We've got Daniel Kwan, Eloy Lasanta, Aabria Iyengar, BDave Walters, Gabe Hicks and Eugenio Vargas working on the mechanics. We've had a few meetings to figure out our best course of action before deciding to go with our own system. Since ItML RPG is something new, we wanted to also have unique mechanics that reflect what we're doing with the IP.

What exactly are we doing? We're still going with a dice pool, but streamlined to be easier to learn and to flow better for streamed sessions. Not that Cortex is a bad system and them letting us use it for our streamed shows helped us get the stream launched quickly.

What's happening on creating the mechanics front? We've got a meeting of the minds happening in the next couple of weeks; and after that session, we'll have a better idea of when playtesting can start in early 2022 for those who backed the KS at The Gamemaster Bundle tier and up ($75). They will receive a KS Playtester role in the discord. If you have not joined the discord as a KS backer, information on how to do so is in this post.

Sorry this has taken so long to get to you all, as we wanted to be sure that making our own mechanics was the best course of action, and using an OGL pool or other mechanics option just didn't fit after accepting that a Cortex License wasn't going to happen either. We also are staying away from a D20 system as we want this to be visually, mechanically and otherwise discernable from D&D; as many people still describe the show and in-development game as "Black D&D but in Space".

So there you go, TL;DR we are making our own mechanics and will keep you all up to date as we work through and playtesting becomes ready for backers. Lastly, a reminder that many of the team will be at PAX Unplugged and taking time for the holidays. We should be having an update from our Art Director as pencils come in.

This update will also be shared in the Discord in the KS Updates channel

Thanks for coming along with us on this journey, and we look forward to being in touch a lot more in the new year.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases