Into The Rifts Again With Rifts Atlantis

Rifts Atlantis, the second World Book for the Rifts RPG covers the legendary lost continent. Slightly shorter than its predecessor, it still packs a wealth of content into its 161 pages. Beginning with a brief history of the lost continent by Rifts character Erin Tarn, the reader is exposed to the backstory of the continent. This section is well-written and insightful, providing a superb jumping point for using this setting in one’s own Rifts campaign.

Rifts Atlantis, the second World Book for the Rifts RPG covers the legendary lost continent. Slightly shorter than its predecessor, it still packs a wealth of content into its 161 pages. Beginning with a brief history of the lost continent by Rifts character Erin Tarn, the reader is exposed to the backstory of the continent. This section is well-written and insightful, providing a superb jumping point for using this setting in one’s own Rifts campaign.

The reader is then introduced to some rather fun random encounter tables and the unique concept of let line storms. Thankfully, the text doesn’t linger on the details here and soon we learn about Atlantis and the True Atlanteans.

I like the idea of Atlantis as a center of ley line magic and technology. In Rifts, the continent ended up being swallowed by a dimensional rift, while the city itself sunk into the sea. As the continent drifted through the dimensions, an evil race of slave-mongers—the Splugorth set up the land as their base of operations. The Splugorth creep me out. The very idea of an enslaving race, ruling from afar and making allies with monsters and malevolent interdimensional brings is downright terrifying—and that makes them the perfect villain. By the time we get to their appearance, things become downright chilling. Try to imagine a gigantic slime-covered mound with a mass of writhing tentacles—a kind of behemoth beholder with tentacles instead of eye stalks.

The section on the Sunaj—for the GM's eyes only, of course—provides a neat basis for some in-game intrigue. There’s another massive section detailing the slave stock of the Splugorth, which can seem a bit tedious and another long and not particularly interesting section on magic tattoos. Then, of course, there are the available character classes based on the tattooed men. The more interesting characters are the True Atlanteans and stone magic users.

True Atlanteans—displaced transdimensional nomads—are the human descendants of the original denizens of Atlantis and offer an excellent opportunity to play a character with increased psychic power energy and psychic recovery abilities. That’s even an option for an undead slayer, perfect for those excursions down to Vampire Country. True Atlanteans also have magic tattoos, a unique detail of the race, but they’re slightly different than the tattooed men. The book is a bit confusing on this point, but either way, it seems to work.

The high tech City of Ki-Talan most resembles the traditional image of Atlantis—a place of high technology and creature comforts. It’s nice to see the game paying tribute to the actual mythological city with this section. The new capital city of Atlantis, Splynn is an abjectly horrendous place full of danger and intrigue. It's impossible to overstate how tremendously cool this place is.

The tome wraps up with a section on bio-wizardry and various Atlantean weaponry. The symbiotic creatures described here are certainly the stuff of nightmares and would be right at home in an Alien or Nightmare on Elm Street film. The advanced weaponry is reminiscent of comic and anime sensibilities of the time—loud, lavish and incredibly destructive. These are the types of weapons those alien hunters in Men in Black possess.

The writing in the books is mildly disjointed. It’s almost as if they took several ideas and mashed them together. Granted, there’s a certain charm in the style and prose—and the entire book isn't like that—but it can be jarring to the reader, likely immersed in the material to come across some of these passages. I liked the images and ideas the book had to offer and immensely enjoyed the illustrations.

Contributed by David J Buck

David J. Buck

David J. Buck

Derren

Hero
Getting full use out of Atlantis is a bit tricky. You do have some player options with the true atlanteans, but Atlantis itself is a bit harder to integrate into the game. Sure, fighting off a slaver expedition is always possible but the city of Atlantis is a whole different matter. It is not an BBEGs lair you eventually storm. For that it is simply too powerful. And the place is also very hostile to most parties unless you have rather exotic members. Then maybe posing as slaves becomes actually viable. Having a dragon in the party certainly makes things more easy.
Yet you still have to be so careful over there that it is hard to imagine to have an adventure in Atlantis, especially one where the whole group can participate.

Speaking of dragons in Atlantis a rather big consistency issue in Rifts is quite visible. While the main book talks about dragons instinctively hateing each other and that they dont tolerate each others presence you have an entire city of them there and they get along fine (Atlantis is not the only place where this happends. Tolkeen also had a dragon city.).
Also, the main book talks about dragons usually not being automatically hostile to humans as rather often they are raised by them and adopt their morality, but in Atlantis it seems like dragons are inherently evil.

Last edited by a moderator:

It would be amazing if Pinnacle and Palladium could start releasing Savage Worlds editions of these books to expand on the Savage Worlds Rifts release.

MidnightBlue

Explorer
Atlantis was one of the most used World Books for me. My 2nd longest running character was an Atlantean Undead Slayer. Lots and lots of fun was had there and he was such a fun character to play. And yep, ran him through a campaign in the Vampire Kingdoms (World Book 1), but also ended up meeting the Greek Pantheon - his gods (Conversion Book 2), fought the Four Horsemen (World Book 4: Africa), and tangled with the Coalition more than once...and even traveled to Heroes Unlimited Earth (where he was born and raised before the rifts opened on Rifts Earth). He was probably my most Rifts-globe-trotting character.

It would be amazing if Pinnacle and Palladium could start releasing Savage Worlds editions of these books to expand on the Savage Worlds Rifts release.

I wholeheartedly agree with you here! I began looking into Savage Worlds late last year and loved what they did with the update/conversion to RIFTS for their system. The Atlantis book is one of my favorite world books, along with Vampire Kingdoms and Europe. I always thought it would be interesting to send a party from TMNT & Other Strangeness into the Rifts version of Atlantis. I may do just that, if I ever get a game going!

Remove ads

Remove ads