Dragonlance Introducing Dragonlance's Iconic - And Upgraded! - Death Knight, Lord Soth!

WotC has posted a video introducing the iconic Dragonlance villain Lord Soth (albeit with the words "Lord Soth is Tiamat's favourite death knight"....) Upgraded from the original Dragonlance adventures and novels, Soth now rides on a death dragon! In fact he is able to resurrect dead dragons as death dragons under his command. The SSI gold box video game, Death Knights of Krynn, was an...

WotC has posted a video introducing the iconic Dragonlance villain Lord Soth (albeit with the words "Lord Soth is Tiamat's favourite death knight"....)

Upgraded from the original Dragonlance adventures and novels, Soth now rides on a death dragon! In fact he is able to resurrect dead dragons as death dragons under his command. The SSI gold box video game, Death Knights of Krynn, was an inspiration for parts of this adventure.

One of the most iconic images of Lord Soth was painted by Keith Parkinson (and you can buy a print from his website). It features Soth aboard his nightmare steed, leading his legion of skeletal warriors into battle.

th-460934386.jpg

Vaalingrade

Legend
Apparently in the age of mortals

Spoilered because it might be a spoiler for something in that timeline.
Raistlin Majere uses Tasslehoff and his time-traveling device to form a link to Krynn so the other gods can return. The gods convene to determine Takhisis's punishment for her treachery. Mina's army capture Sanction, and Mina kills Malys with the aid of a dragonlance and a death dragon.

In the CRPG Death Knights of Krynn, which the developers have stated is one if the inspirations of this adventure.

Having just replayed it a few months ago, I'm excited to see them translated to 5e tabletop.
How does it hold up? I bought the set on GOG awhile back but haven't played them yet. Should I?

darjr

I crit!
In defense of Margaret, though she doesn’t need it, I think she understands.

For instance she did click heart on this.3489A53B-7183-46A6-910B-7EF275A7D644.jpeg
And she does share news about the new book.

And she does defend WotC too.

6AD4DE5A-FC70-4576-A890-4D819942522E.jpeg

Dragonlance is their masterpiece and I don’t begrudge a bit of nudging things towards her vision.

I do think, sometimes, some of the fans take it too seriously and fall off the deep end, like the person she’s responding to in that last post.

In defense of Margaret, though she doesn’t need it, I think she understands.

For instance she did click heart on this.View attachment 265779
And she does share news about the new book.

And she does defend WotC too.

View attachment 265780

Dragonlance is their masterpiece and I don’t begrudge a bit of nudging things towards her vision.

I do think, sometimes, some of the fans take it too seriously and fall off the deep end, like the person she’s responding to in that last post.
She's made it clear in the past both her and Tracy understood what they were doing when they created Dragonlance under the terms they did and she's grateful for what it's done for her. She was making something like $30k per year working at TSR and her 1st book deal after making the NYT Best Seller list with Dragonlance was more for just 1 book. She's been pretty clear it opened some doors for her that wouldn't have otherwise been there. 100% some fans just take some of her criticism too seriously. Personally as a fan, I don't even agree with 100% of the things SHE wrote for the series. lol

How does it hold up? I bought the set on GOG awhile back but haven't played them yet. Should I?
They hold up pretty well. Both the GoG and Steam versions come with Gold Box Companion, which is a UI add on that sands off some of the rougher edges of the games (although they have slightly different versions of it). I played both the GoG versions a few years ago and the Steam versions a few months ago (both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance games in each instance) and had a good time. The DL ones are tougher though, especially with DQK, which can turn into a bit of a reload slog at points.

Yeah. With the Gold Box Companion, Death Knight's of Krynn is a solid classic. The only issues I remember is sometimes the starting keep gets stuck in a siege, and the general "aww crud" of save or die spells.

I do recommend Champions of Krynn first though. While it is a simpler game, it introduces good characters and is not overly long.

Remove ads

Remove ads