• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Introductory RPG for a 5yr. Old

Greg K

Legend
These are all supposed to be rpgs for kids.

Meddling Kids: Think 70's cartoons like Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, Captain Caveman, Jabberjaw, Speed Buggy, and Goober and the Ghost Chasers

Mermaid Adventures: This seems to be inspired by Little Mermaid and its TV series. Kids play mermaids, fight sea monsters and solve mysteries. Friendship is also important.

Adventures in Oz
Faery's Tale Deluxe
FirstFable
Hero Kids
Little Wizards

You can find the above games and others on this page:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.php?filters=44530_2140_0_0_0

Rechan

Adventurer
Adventure Maximus is an RPG designed for kids, but it's also designed to encourage kids to DM games themselves.

Also Mice and Mystics, while primarily a boardgame, is pretty much an RPG. You might also consider Mouseguard, which is an RPG.

I also think Fate Accelerated would work. The math is very small and it's not only simple but thematic. Also it's nice because Fate and FAE are Pay-what-you-like (including free), so it's free to check out and then if you like, I'd suggest tossing some $ their way.

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Dungeon! boardgame is probably better for ages 7 to 12, but includes many of the basics of D&D. It's relatively inexpensive and includes cooperative play though not as default.

If anyone from WotC is listening, they could go a long way towards promoting D&D at very early ages, even before kids ready for an introductory box, by making Dungeon! part of D&D.

Thank you for all of the responses. I picked up Hero Kids, a rules system and adventures specifically designed for 4-10 year olds rather than trying to heavily adapt a mature system. It had pre-fab classic heroes, and each character sheet is essentially a coloring page. The kiddo liked being able to color in his avatar and token (and so did his uncle and I). The adventure came with predrawn maps to print, but we eschewed that and let the kiddo build a dungeon out of our Legend of Drizzt tiles. That kept him nicely busy while we set up the tokens, etc. It also came with all the tokens we would need - just print and cut. The drawings of the kids are cartoony, and the monsters aren't too fearsome. Very simple mechanics. One major point of confusion was attacking versus blocking. Every time he had a successful roll, the kiddo expected to hit something and forgot that he was rolling a defense. However, giving him two sets of dice - one for defense and one for attack - might help him make the distinction. Overall it was a wonderful success. Everyone enjoyed themselves, and we'll be playing again soon.

Also, as soon as I get the wet erase markers, I plan to allow the kiddo to draw out his own dungeon design on our old Chessex battlemap - then just place monsters for him to battle. That should be interesting.

nedjer

Adventurer
A lot depends on what you want for the kid. One way lies following rules exactly, rewards mainly through combat and basing most outcomes on dice. The other focuses on player ownership/ imagination, rewards critical thinking skills and hands players more responsibility for outcomes.

Whatever your preference - free guide to Getting Started with RPGs, especially kids and young people, in another part of EN.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads