Invasion. Gathering of Heroes (February 1930)

ghostcat

First Post
This is the first time that the scepter has been mentioned in Percy's hearing. So of course he is very curious. "What is this about a scepter." he asks.

In answer to George's suggestion that he accompanies him to the library, he replies "Well I seem to have finished up here, so I may as well join you. I may even be able to help with your research. While were at it we can check on this Dr. Vladimir Volterra and his work."

ThWatcher

First Post
George Wilkinson 25/36

At mention of the Russian scientist, "Dr. Volterra? What is his involvement in this? If it's not good, I wonder if he's being manipulated by a parasite? If we meet up with him, we must remember to scan him for a parasite."

As soon as everyone is ready, we head for the library and some intense research on at least these 2 subjects.

ghostcat

First Post
At mention of the Russian scientist, "Dr. Volterra? What is his involvement in this? If it's not good, I wonder if he's being manipulated by a parasite? If we meet up with him, we must remember to scan him for a parasite."
"We believe that Dr. Volterra was the stranger that I saw with Sir Archivald Long in London. As far as we know the two are still together."

Voda Vosa

First Post
The trio drives to the library, where George makes some research on metal structures, and Percy and Vincent search for historical records of important scepters and such.

While there is no mention of such artefact, Vicente finds the glyphs that decorate the surface of the scepter in a text book about Mayans (A decipher glyph might translate what is written on the scepter).

George finds out that a metal quite similar to that of the scepter, the cianidite, is a rare meteoric metal, found in huge meteor craters.

There is a lot of references in Russian newspapers about Dr. Volterra:
A renown scientist from Russia, famous for his experiments in neuronal induction. He invented the therm Psycoinduction, to describe the phenomena of inducing thoughts and emotions in other persons by the means of high tech equipment. It's said that Lenin supports the laboratory and the expenses of the good doctor, although he has not announce any allegiance with the communist party.

ghostcat

First Post
When Percy discovers the link between Dr. Volterra and Lenin, he tries to think of a way of detecting any indications that the Russian government has been infected by the parasite. He reasons that this will be very difficult as the government have a tight control on any news which leaves the country. In the end the only thing he can think of is to check if any prominent politicians or scientists have dies recently. So its back to reading the Russian news.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
George discovers something strange in the scepter. He's able to decipher the meaning of the glyphs using the texts in the library, apparently is a mixture of many ancient languages, Egyptian, Celtic, ancient Babylonian, Persian, Indian, Greek, even oriental characters. It seems that the artefact tells a story, and gives... numbers.
As George and Vincent try to understand what's with the numbers, Percy finds what he was looking for. It's regarding Grigori Raspútin, the eccentric Russian monk. He had walked away from the political world after his miraculous survival on the poisoning and the shooting he recieved in 1916. However, in the paper of a week ago, he and Lenin traveled to England. Percy recalls the visit of Lenin, but not seeing or heard of Raspútin. The Russian ruler visited the ruins of Stonehenge and other historical places. The paper also says that their next stop is Greece.
Odd enough, as Percy tells that to the other two, they realize that the numbers are latitude and longitude, they are coordinates! And what is really spooky, is that the first set of numbers, point to a place well known to Percy. It's even in his homeland: Stonehenge.

ThWatcher

First Post
George Wilkinson 25/36

(Voda Vosa narrated "... It seems that the artifact tells a story, and gives... numbers. .... the first set of numbers, ....")

When we figure out that the 'first set of numbers' point to Stonehenge, the location visited by Raspútin, George says, "I need to translate as much of this 'story' as I can."

"We also need to interpret the locations of the of the rest of these sets of numbers." (ooc: The part of Voda Vosa narrative that says "...the first set of numbers,...." implies that there are more than one set of numbers on the scepter. If I'm wrong, let me know.)

"But I also think we need to get to Stonehenge as soon as possible to find out what is there and then get to Greece. Did I miss anything?"

Once they're in agreement, George hands the scepter back to Vincent, whom George seems to believe is the guard/carrier of the scepter. If George has not finished translating the story, he will then begin collecting the books he has been using to translate the scepter and heads to the library's checkout desk. (ooc: Any books that are overly large and won't fit in a backpack, George will not take. He'll try to find a smaller version of that language translation book.) He intends to finish translating as they travel on the plane. If the library staff indicate that one or more of the books George has can not be checked out, George calls Admiral Charleston to get his power behind insistence of letting George check out the books.

Once the group rejoins Admiral Charleston, George tells the Admiral his part of the research and lets the others fill in their parts.

Then he continues, "Sir, we need to get a plane to go to England and then farther into Europe and maybe elsewhere. Also, Percy, can you contact your boss, or whoever you use to get info in England, and have them find out, discretely, what locations Raspútin visited before and during his stay in England? And, Admiral Charleston,could you do the same with your contacts in Europe?" Almost without breathing, George continues. "Also, Admiral, we need to have some more of the detectors and jammers. I suggest using the scientists who helped me build the first ones." George hands Charleston the plans/schematics and adds, "We also need to get a couple of copies made of the schematics and put them in safe places so you'll always be able to make more."

George takes a breath. "Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to control everything. These are all requests and/or suggestions. If there is anything I've missed or anything else we need to do first, let me know."

ghostcat

First Post
Percy responses to George's suggestion to visit Stonehenge and Greece by saying "While I agree that we need to visit Stonehenge as soon as possible, is it worth tying up the loose ends over here. To whit, Capon. Personally, I think in this case he is a dupe. If what is reported in the British press is accurate, getting to Capon will probably be bloody and all we're likely to find out is that Archivald Long offered him a new source of cheap alcohol. Vincent this is your area of expertise, what do you think?"

While they where riding in the car, something was bugging Percy but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. Suddenly it dawned on him. Raspútin had been left for dead and he miraculously recovered. "George. How much do you know about the parasite? Could it prevent someone dying of poison? If so, then what ever is going on started at least 15 years ago and Raspútin is at the heart of it"

Back at the police station, Percy helps George brief the Admiral before begging the use of a scrambled phone that he can use to call London. Due to the time difference, it takes a while to locate "T" and get him to a secure phone. When he is on the line, Percy briefs him about what had happened in New York before he got here, the Scepter and the Russian connection. Urging him to find out where Raspútin went in England. He finishes by saying "Sir we are trying to arrange for a US air force plane from Admiral Charleston. Can you get us permission to land at Boscombe Down RAF Station. Also, for the use of a car."

[sblock=Local Information]Boscome Down is approximately 12 miles from Stonhenge.[/sblock]

Remove ads