D&D 5E Inverse: Dungeons and Dragons Online Coronavirus Boom

gyor

Legend

This is very interesting. More proof that D&D didn't peak in 2019, D&D is booming even more then it ever has DURING Corona, its become people's refuge from all the horrible stuff going on.

“We’re scrambling to keep up,” Winninger says. “March [was] horrific for businesses, but we’ve had our best months ever. There’s clear evidence there’s lots of D&D activity, lots of people are turning to play in quarantine.”

Walters, who works closely with D&D, adds: “I won’t bust out their numbers, but their numbers are up, up, up. Anecdotally, people are doing it. Fantasy is a refuge. It always has been.”

Last edited:

Something can't have reached it's peak til it has a down year after it's best year. So there is no way to know if 2019 was a peak until 2020 is over. And even if 2020 is down, it will have a huge asterisk beside it because of the pandemic. 2021 will be much more of a decider in peak or not.
Like I said, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyydaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy now.

Zabalorf

Villager
I have friends posting about it on Facebook, close friends playing for the first time on discord, old groups getting back together. I haven’t played in years and now have the core books and other things. It’s definitely making a resurgence in the 25-30 crowd from my POV.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

RulesetUsage2020Q1_25942_image002.png

Horwath

Legend
necessity is the mother of adaptation,

before now most people that I Know(myself included) were almost religiously against any kind of play that was not around a table, no digital rollers, no tablets, nothing. Books, pen and paper.

Now, when we were backed against the wall because of COVID, we found that VTT is not so bad.

And we play now with 2 friends that live out of country.

COVID-19(not NOKIA): connecting people.

Oofta

Legend
We're playing online now, but as soon as we can? Back in a room gaming face to face. Online is ... okay. But it's a lot more work as a DM and it's more difficult to read the group.

But I'm not sure why any of that matters. To paraphrase @FlyingChihuahua it's all going to collapse in a heaping pile of ruin any day now with such a backlash that people will be breaking into my house to burn my copy of the books. :cry:

Remove ads