iPod or Dell DJ?

Geoff

First Post
Captain Tagon said:
I'm looking to get an mp3 player for Christmas. Which would you guys recommend, an iPod or Dell DJ?

I can't comment on the usage of the iPod, but I've have my Dell DJ20 for about 6 months and am extremely happy with it.

Chun-tzu

First Post
Conversely, I can't comment on the DJ (never heard of it until now), but I got a 20 GB iPod a couple weeks ago, and am very pleased. One of the things that convinced me to go iPod was the vast array of support products for the iPod. It's potentially a lot more than an mp3 player (record audio, store other files, plug into car, and tons of other things), BUT all those nifty attachments also cost a lot more money (e.g., $50 for the dock, $20 for the rubber protective iSkin, and so on).

Check out http://www.ipodlounge.com for accessory reviews.

Thanee

First Post
There's also a pretty good MP3 player from Creative, the Zen Micro.

Only 5 GB, but very small (8x5x1.8 cm / 3.15x1.95x0.7 in.), not sure how this relates to the iPod, tho. :)

Bye
Thanee

Breakdaddy

First Post
I, too, have an iPod but no experience with the Dell model. I can only say that the iPod is extremely durable (Ive dropped it more than once with no ill effect) and with some third party software I bought (Anapod) can export/import your entire MP3 library in a very short period of time. Its a very cool portable jukebox, and I recommend it highly.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I too thought about this same purchase, and did the usual research (to let you know my bias right off, ultimately I stuck with my Dell Axim Pocket PC, which also plays MP3s and has 576MB of memory with the expansion cards I put in).

Both got good reviews on CNET and other sites. Advantages of the IPOD:

• Cachet/coolness factor
  • Interface (everyone seems to love the rotating wheel; I've used it and it is pretty efficient)
  • If you're willing to pay, you can get IPods in larger capacities. Dell's is "only" 20gb.
  • Direct integration to iTunes, most popular online music store.

Advantages of the Dell:

• Cost ($50 less than the IPOD, for both the regular [20gb] and the mini [5gb] versions)
  • Dell's Pocket DJ has 5gb to the Mini's 4gb
  • Longer battery life (from what I've heard and seen in reviews)
  • Occasionally Dell will run discounts, knocking the price down even further. Last month there was a 10% off special running; type "dell coupons" into Google to see if you can find other deals.
  • Plays WMA format in addition to MP3.

Both have all the accessories you could want (speakers, car kits, cases, etc.).

Remove ads