(IR) 1st ooc-thread of the 5th IR (open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Serpenteye said:
The Grandwood, The Lone Heath and Medegia belong to Paxus' Ashardalon. No longer outposts of good, but gradually and inevitable brought under control by the growing order and power of Aerdy during the last 20 years.

Now, I wouldn't object to owning Ashardalon and his nation of Aerdy, but being a lawful evil fiend, I am compelled to note that I don't actually have that privilege at this point in time.

Edena, are there any mountain ranges with considerable populations of uncivilized humanoids or giants? If so, I'd be more than glad to seize them, save that it might be rather more power than I ought to have. Given their incredibly prolific nature, I should already have a large enough power base to make me a major player; while I ultimately intend to swamp my enemies with sheer numbers, it seems unfair to do so immediately.

Bugbear

First Post
Melkor said:
And I repeat the question about Kua-Toa society, does anyone have any knowledge on them?

Heres some info:
Kuo-toa are an ancient race of fish-men that dwells underground and harbors a deep hatred of surface dwellers and sunlight.
A kuo-toan presents a cold and horrible appearance. A typical specimen looks much like a human body, albeit a paunchy one, covered in scales and topped with a fish's head. The huge fish eyes tend to swivel in different directions when observing an area or creature. The hands and feet are very long, with three fingers and an opposing digit, partially webbed. The legs and arms are short for the body size. Its coloration is pale grey, with undertones of tan or yellow in males only. The skin has a sheen from its slimy covering. The color darkens when the kuo-toan is angry and pales when it is badly frightened. A strong odor of dead fish follows it around.
It wears no clothing, only leather harnesses for its weapons and gear. Typically, a kuo-toan warrior carries daggers, spears, shields, harpoons and weighted throwing nets.
Kuo-toa speak the strange subterranean trade language common to most intelligent underworld dwellers. Additionally, they speak their own arcane tongue and have empathic contact with most fish. Their religious speech is a corruption of the language used on the elemental plane of Water; if a kuo-toan priest is in a group of kuo-toa, it is 75% unlikely that a creature native to the plane of Water will attack, for the priest will request mercy in the name of the Sea Mother, Blibdoolpoolp.

Habitat/Society: Kuo-toa spawn as do fish, and hatchlings, or fingerlings as they call their young, are raised in pools until their amphibian qualities develop, about one year after hatching. The young, now a foot or so high, are then able to breathe air and they are raised in pens according to their sex and fitness. There are no families, as we know them, in kuo-toan society.
Especially fit fingerlings, usually of noble spawning, are trained for the priesthood as priests, priest/thieves, or special celibate monks. The latter are called “monitors” whose role is to control the community members who become violent or go insane. The monitor is capable of attacking to subdue or kill. A monitor has 56 hit points, attacks as a 7th-level fighter and has the following additional abilities: twice the normal movement rate, AC 1, and receives four attacks per round -- two barehanded for 2d4 points of damage (double if trying to subdue) and two attacks with teeth for 1d4+1 points of damage. One hand/bite attack occurs according to the initiative roll, the other occurs at the end of the round.
Subdued creatures cannot be larger than eight feet tall and 500 pounds. Subduing attacks cause only half real damage, but when the points of damage inflicted equal the victim's total, the creature is rendered unconscious for 3d4 rounds.
Kuo-toan communities do not generally cooperate, though they have special places of worship in common. These places are usually for intergroup trade, councils, and worship of the Sea Mother, so they are open to all kuo-toa. These religious communities, as well as other settlements, are open to drow and their servants, for the dark elves provide useful goods and services, though the drow are both feared and hated by the kuo-toa. This leads to many minor skirmishes and frequent kidnappings between the peoples. The illithids (mind flayers) are greatly hated by the kuo-toa and they and their allies are attacked on sight.
The ancient kuo-toa once inhabited the shores and islands of the upper world, but as the race of mankind grew more numerous and powerful, these men-fish were slowly driven to remote regions. Continual warfare upon these evil, human-sacrificing creatures threatened to exterminate the species, for a number of powerful beings were aiding mankind, their sworn enemies. Some kuo-toa sought refuge in sea caverns and secret subter-ranean waters, and while their fellows were being slaughtered, these few prospered and developed new powers to adapt to their lightless habitat. The seas contained other fierce and evil creatures, however, and the deep-dwelling kuo-toa were eventually wiped out, leaving only those in the underworld to carry on, unnoticed and eventually forgotten by mankind. But the remaining kuo-toa have not forgotten mankind, and woe to any who fall into their slimy clutches.
Now the kuo-toa are haters of sunlight and are almost never encountered on the earth's surface. This, and their inborn hatred of discipline, prevent the resurgence of these creatures, for they have become numerous once again and acquired new powers. However, they have also become somewhat unstable, possibly as a result of inbreeding, and insanity is common among the species.
If a kuo-toan lair is found, it contains 4d10 x 10 2nd-level males. In addition, there are higher level fighters in the same ratio as noted for wandering groups. The leader of the group is one of the following, depending on the lair's population:

A priest/thief king of 12/14th level, if 350 or more normal kuo-toa are present, or
A priest/thief prince of 11/13th level, if 275-349 normal kuo-toa are present, or
A priest/thief duke of 10/12th level, if fewer than 275 normal kuo-toa are present

There are also the following additional kuo-toa in the lair:

Eight Eyes of the priest leader -- 6th- to 8th-level priest/thieves
One Chief Whip -- 6th/6th-level fighter/thief
Two Whips of 4th/4th or 5th/5th level (see whip description)
One Monitor per 20 2nd-level kuo-toa
Females equal to 20% of the male population
Young (noncombatant) equal to 20% of the total kuo-toa
Slaves equal to 50% of the total male population

In special religious areas there are also a number of kuo-toan priests. For every 20 kuo-toa in the community there is a 3rd-level priest, for every 40 there is a 4th-level priest, for every 80 there is a 5th-level priest, all in addition to the others. These priests are headed by one of the following groups:

One 6th-level priest if the group is 160 or fewer, or One 7th-level and one 6th-level priest if the group is between 161 and 240, or
One 8th-level, one 7th-level, and one 6th-level priest if the group numbers between 241 and 320, or
One 9th-level, two 7th-level, and three 6th-level priests if the group numbers between 321 and 400, or
One 10th-level, two 8th-level, and four 6th-level priests if the group numbers over 400

Though kuo-toa prefer a diet of flesh, they also raise fields of kelp and fungi to supplement their food supply. These fields, lit by strange phosphorescent fungi, are tended by slaves, who are also used for food and sacrifices.
Kuo-toan treasures tend more toward pearls, gem-encrusted items of a water motif, and mineral ores mined by their slaves. Any magical items in the possession of a kuo-toan are usually obtained from adventuring parties that never made it home again.

Ecology: Not much is known to surface-dwelling sages about this enigmatic, violent, subterranean race, but some of the more astute scholars speculate that the kuo-toa are but one-third of the three-way rivalry that includes mind flayers and drow. It is partially because of this continuing warfare that none of the three races has been able to achieve dominance of the surface world.

and this tidbit:
Kuo-toa worship Blibdoolpoolp, the Sea Mother, a neutral evil lesser goddess with chaotic tendencies who generally hates all surface creatures, blaming them for driving the kuo-toans into the underdark. Her almost exclusively kuo-toan worshippers share her alignment. Lobsters are the usual sacrifice, although to gain favors from her, large quantities of gems are required (with pearls preferred). On ceremonial occasions her clerics sacrifice human prisoners by drowning

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
Bugbear said:
If Serpenteye feels it appropriate to award me any outlying areas to round out my borders that's fine with me. Otherwise, I'm not making any other claims.

I just did. It makes the map look prettier. :)

Melkor said:
Hmm, after reading the megapost and some comments I would like to double my population numbers, especially the humanoids.

You can double your non-vampiric population.

James Heard said:
Ok, in an effort to save myself some grief again I started whipping up a spreadsheet to definitively provide myself with some data. Here's what I've found so far, according to the LGG and some of the IR rules that Serpenteye has provided:

Pre-Lemminglike population boom the total listed population of the Flanaess is 31,638,530 and post rabbit-engaged coital gymnastics it stands at 63,277,060.

The average population figure of all nations in the LGG (probably helped by the Great Kingdom's serfs) is 585,899 and that figure expands to 1,150,492 after everyone's finished knocking up every female within arm's reach.

LGG figures and the new formula make the average IC of the Flanaess 17.26, which increases to 34.51 after everyone puts their buns in the oven.

The total available IC in the Flanaess would have been 882.92 before, and now stands at 1,898.31.

All figures take into no account anything but the LGG data, and the data is missing the Scarlet Brotherhood because there's no data on the Scarlet Brotherhood concrete enough to plop into spreadsheets.

(63,277,060x(1+5))/200'000 = 1'898.31. That's correct. :)

You all begin at a tech level of 1.

Keep in mind, though, that this shows only your maximum possible IC, not the actual IC I assign to you in the beginning. Not all of your economies are operating at their maximum potential.

Anabstercorian said:
This is an issue I will have to deal with, yes. I'm hesitant to make the secrets of Castle Maure TOO vast, because then, well - other people will beat me up and take them from me. I have an idea I think I will bring up with Serpenteye privately.

Please do, :).

Melkor said:
OOC: How can I hide posts? Also, my current email is kooligar@op.pl, I should update my profile.

I thought I knew, but forgot. :\

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
Airwhale said:
I get Starting IC=(63,277,060/200,000)- 316
And Max IC at 0 tech to be (316*5)=1,580
Your numbers and your formula are wrong. Tech level begins at one, so the formula looks like this:

(63,277,060*(1+5))/200,000
=379,662,360/200,000
=1,898.31

Tech Level started at 1 from the beginning, because if the first formula were used with a starting TL of 0 then no one would start out with any max IC at all.

Also, I'd like to point out my own glaring error of calling the average max IC of the region the "average IC." D'oh. Just because you have an enormous upper ceiling on your industry doesn't mean that you're actually at that ceiling currently in the IR. Actually I'd like to formally request that TL factor directly into IC itself as well - say as a straight modifier so that PP from IC= IC+TL. That still won't change the ceiling on the IC of your territories, but it should make the "chase" of expanding your IC a little more interesting.

I think high level magic should tie directly into that as well, perhaps as straight +4 (each level after 10) modifiers to the IC of all your territories (still limited by max IC). After all, if nothing else having "spent" all those Epic PLs researching 10th+ magic you're going to have some surplus magical talent running around. Or maybe the bonuses to magic shouldn't reflect the max IC at all, since they're magic and we all should have the devil's time researching it in the first place.

Serpenteye

First Post
Paxus Asclepius said:
Now, I wouldn't object to owning Ashardalon and his nation of Aerdy, but being a lawful evil fiend, I am compelled to note that I don't actually have that privilege at this point in time.

Edena, are there any mountain ranges with considerable populations of uncivilized humanoids or giants? If so, I'd be more than glad to seize them, save that it might be rather more power than I ought to have. Given their incredibly prolific nature, I should already have a large enough power base to make me a major player; while I ultimately intend to swamp my enemies with sheer numbers, it seems unfair to do so immediately.

Ah, crap... My apologies to you Paxus, and to Knight Otu.

Anabstercorian said:
Actually, what the heck, I'll ask now. I'd like to claim a sizable population of succubi/incubi servitors who I used to gain dominance and rulership over the Bright Lands - as many Elite PL as Serpenteye feels would be prudent to balance my faction.

The important thing is that succubi and incubi can no longer be summoned (being cut off from the planes as we are) and so I would have a unique advantage. These demonic enforcers would be the justification for my faction being an Infiltrator faction.

And no one jump any guns yet, folks. We're still in pre-game mode here. No point in diplomacy when no one is finalized.

How very fiendish of you ;).

Granted.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
To Serpenteye:
[sblock]A possible return mechanism for Ashardalon:
After being slain in the Bastion of Unborn Souls, Ashardalon's soul lingered on, unnoticed, unable to act. But portions of his soul moved on, to the material world, and entered unborn, newborn and young creatures alike. As these soul fragments awakened, the bearers changed, and sought to empower their ties to Ashardalon in various ways. Over time, a small group managed to each combine a vast amount of soul fragments in themselves. When they met, the seemingly impossible happened - their tie to the soul of the fiend dragon was strong enough to pull the remainder of the soul to the material plane, and reshape the group into a single entity - Ashardalon was reborn.
Ya, I know... ;)
As for "stats" for Ashardalon, I'd think his time in the Bastion might have affected him in a way, granting him some power over souls that have not yet left the material plane... Allowable?[/sblock]

The cult of Ashardalon started off with all manners of humanoids, mostly humans and elves, worshipping the Great Wyrm Ashardalon. Ashardalon was much of a force of nature, and his power was great. Yet, he was brought down by the druidess Dydd, wounding his heart beyond repair. The heart remained in what would once be called the Nightfang Spire, and became a nexus of negative energy, transforming many of the wyrm's followers to undead.
With the help of the heart and other magic, the vampire Gulthias worked on expanding the cult, and some say that at its height, it had a nearly unlimited number of basic human skeletons and zombies, and a great number of elite forces, from vampires over mummy monks to wight assassins. The fall of Nightfang Spire was devastating to the forces of the cult, but it retained several forces.
Ashardalon, meanwhile, sought to replace his heart, and found that a demon would make a suitable replacement. The great wyrm bound Ammet, a balor of considerable power, to act his heart. While with time, even this powerful replacement heart began to fail, Ashardalon inspired other dragons to attempt the same feat, becoming the so-called disciples of Ashardalon. Not devout worshippers, or even necessarily loyal, most would not serve under Ashardalon, even if they respect his power.

Bugbear

First Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbear

If Serpenteye feels it appropriate to award me any outlying areas to round out my borders that's fine with me. Otherwise, I'm not making any other claims.

I just did. It makes the map look prettier.
Ohhhh, it's just like christmas! What I get! What I get!

Serpenteye

First Post
James Heard said:
Actually I'd like to formally request that TL factor directly into IC itself as well - say as a straight modifier so that PP from IC= IC+TL. That still won't change the ceiling on the IC of your territories, but it should make the "chase" of expanding your IC a little more interesting.

It looks good on the surface, but it would create an incentive for people to split up conquered territories with each others into tiny pieces just so that they'd get those few extra "free" PPts. It also makes the already tiny territories like the Axewood or the Blemu Hills more productive than they should, whereas big territories would be disproportionally poor.

James Heard said:
I think high level magic should tie directly into that as well, perhaps as straight +4 (each level after 10) modifiers to the IC of all your territories (still limited by max IC). After all, if nothing else having "spent" all those Epic PLs researching 10th+ magic you're going to have some surplus magical talent running around. Or maybe the bonuses to magic shouldn't reflect the max IC at all, since they're magic and we all should have the devil's time researching it in the first place.

On second thought, perhaps I'll give an increase of a few percent to factions who have successfully researched a new level of magic. Perhaps +5% or +10%

Knight Otu said:
To Serpenteye:
[sblock]A possible return mechanism for Ashardalon:
After being slain in the Bastion of Unborn Souls, Ashardalon's soul lingered on, unnoticed, unable to act. But portions of his soul moved on, to the material world, and entered unborn, newborn and young creatures alike. As these soul fragments awakened, the bearers changed, and sought to empower their ties to Ashardalon in various ways. Over time, a small group managed to each combine a vast amount of soul fragments in themselves. When they met, the seemingly impossible happened - their tie to the soul of the fiend dragon was strong enough to pull the remainder of the soul to the material plane, and reshape the group into a single entity - Ashardalon was reborn.
Ya, I know... ;)
As for "stats" for Ashardalon, I'd think his time in the Bastion might have affected him in a way, granting him some power over souls that have not yet left the material plane... Allowable?[/sblock]

[sblock]Maybe over time something like that could be granted. It would be a vastly powerful ability, more so than you might think...[/sblock]

Nice background :)
(A bit BGII-ToB, but nice ;))

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Serpenteye said:
[sblock]Maybe over time something like that could be granted. It would be a vastly powerful ability, more so than you might think...[/sblock]

Nice background :)
(A bit BGII-ToB, but nice ;))
[sblock]I was actually expecting a highlander comparison :p. So the background itself is ok, but the soul ability is out for now, ok.[/sblock]

About the new way to improve Regular to Elite to Epic pl: That method does not actually reduce the PL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads