(IR) 1st ooc-thread of the 5th IR (open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Okay, I've just taken a look and I'm considering claiming the various regions of Ulek to bulk up my territory.

Still thinking about the epic/infiltrator decision. Would it be possible to get a general idea of how many epic PLs we're talking about? Also, I was wondering if I could split it by having a medium number of epic PLs and getting that anti-infiltrator trait (don't get reduced costs to infiltrate, but it costs double to infiltrate my faction). It seems like that's worth a little less, and so I was wondering if I could split that up.

Once I'm done with all my choices I'll repost my faction info for editing into the megapost.

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
A request for help

Ok, I've done everything that everyone has asked, post by post, to the megapost/roster.

I need everyone to look over their powers. Have I accurately summarized your power?

I have given the new populations, doubling the LGG populations. Are my population counts accurate?

I have removed all the numbers after the population counts, and replaced them with ?s. I do not know how to calculate what numbers should replace the ?s yet, as I have not had a chance to carefully study the rules. All my efforts have gone into the roster instead.
Could someone who knows what they are doing calculate what the values of the ?s would be, where populations are known and given?

Serpenteye, there are a very large number of areas which do not have official populations, and I have listed these as (unknown.) If you wish to make rulings on them, I'll fill them in. If not, I'll just leave them as (unknown) or some sort of vague description.

Serpenteye, I have sent you an e-mail. Did you get it?
Everyone, remember my e-mail (I finally got one) is edelaith@TWMI.rr.com
Serpenteye, I was told by William that you tried to e-mail me, and it bounced. I'm sending you the above e-mail in an effort to establish communications from this end.

Paxus, there are probably huge populations of beings your power could control in the mountains off-map. Giants, humanoids, wolves, the whole thing. It is up to Serpenteye whether he will allow you to claim any of those.

I cannot engage in diplomacy at this time (my apologies to a certain beautiful vampiress who approached Eclavdra.) All my time is being taken up with the roster (I HAVE to get it organized and ready ASAP, if it is to be of any help to Serpenteye) and reading the rules.

Again:

Demon Athiest, are you there?
Gnomeworks, are you there?
Mr. Draco, are you there?

It would be nice if we had 3 more players.
Then they could claim the Empire of Lynn, the Celestial Imperium, Tarquish, Erypt, Fireland, and the other off-map nations.
Because I can see it now, and consider this, folks: The Empire of Lynn is the size of the FLANAESS. Which means it probably is a HUGE economic powerhouse. So, while we fight and destroy each other, and Serpenteye sics Vecna on us to make sure we remain weak, Lynn just builds, and builds, and builds ... and one day, Lynn says: We own the planet ... and they will be the new owners.

Zelda, are you considering building an army of half-troll-half-dragons-half-fiends? Do you wish to begin the IR with this army? Are you petitioning Serpenteye to allow it?

Venus, again ... tell me more about your faction. :)

I wish to retain my current color, which is dark red/wine.

And ... I'm sure I've missed things ... what have I missed, that I should have asked?

Nac, you say you are considering claiming the County and Principality of Ulek (the Duchy of Ulek is taken) ... are you doing so? Are you claiming them?

Please note that the Knights of Luna are STILL contested.
Ivid and the City of Rauxes REMAIN contested between Melkor and Rikandur. Perhaps I should award Ivid and the city to both of them as a shared power?

By the way, I have the megapost backed up: it just got to page 31 on my word processor.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Umm, I'll let you know by tomorrow. I just want a little time to think it over.

Like I said, once I've made my choices (by tomorrow), I'll repost all my faction info so that it can be edited into the megapost.

Also, I'm thinking about taking the Psicrown of the Crystal Mind (a psionic artifact).

Last edited:

Zelda Themelin

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
Zelda, are you considering building an army of half-troll-half-dragons-half-fiends? Do you wish to begin the IR with this army? Are you petitioning Serpenteye to allow it?

Nah, course not. I am enjoying my time since my co-player is busy and I can't post relevant stuff yet.

Game hasn't started yet, so hold your horses. Didn't Anab say that. :)

If I claim something I say so. Otherwise feel free to ignore. I don't do claims or any such in-character, I metagame them. Okey. :)

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
np, Zelda. :)

Some minor changes in my claims.

Reasons:

1. Attempting to take the smallest areas possible, in the same general area as my previous claims.
2. Some of my areas were claimed. I'm not contesting the claims, but moving instead.

Dawn Mounds relinquished. I'm claiming Krestible in it's place.
Little Hills relinquished without contest. I'm claiming the Tors in their place.
Western Gnatmarsh relinquished. I'm claiming the Bright Hills in their place.
Hraak Forest relinquished without contest. I'm claiming Kelten in it's place.
Edgefield relinquished. I'm claiming Knurl in it's place.

All other claims retained.

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
Since it's listed as a "desert power" and hence would actually have a very limited population I've considered asking for Lynn. I mean it's big, sure - but it might only have a population of a few million people scraping by at a subsistence level. In fact that's exactly how I'd run the Empire of Lynn. Wide open space south of my elvish and faerie territories, nominally independent but actually under my complete control thanks to a long standing history of corrupt officials, the human population wisely wetting their pants at the thought of ticking off the elite and epic components of my military, and lack of any real infrastructure. Otherwise I thought it might just be prudent to infer from the map that the "Kingdoms of the Marches"- the Marchlands - were actually a lot bigger than the map gives them credit for. That would mean more half-elves, and more half-elves allows me to dramatically scale upwards my population I suppose. Anyways, if Lynn is as desperate of a hellhole as I'm imagining it to be it would mostly be a place to build sandcastles in and get a tan more than anything else. :cool:

Right now I'm looking at players like Knight Otu and William though, and I'm wondering how anyone is going to compete with the possibilty that they'd actually get to engage their enormous population advantage and use it as a lever to absolutely steamroller the IR. Even if other smaller factions have enormously powerful PLs at the onset, the strategy for anyone - good, evil, or neutral - with a smaller faction seems to be forced into capturing population at all costs or perish. Since significant population centers are rare, certain players with those centers involved (and that sort of means we need population figures for the larger Oerth places too even if no one claims them) are going to be constant walking wounded unless for some insane reason someone lets them breath for a turn or so - in which case they'll immediately gain the necessary leg up to kill everyone else.

I guess what I'm saying is that the large costs for performing actions has a drawback too, because it places an enormous importance on that Max IC stat. With that limitation many factions will take years to engage in any meaningful "levelling up" of their faction strength potential, while the larger factions are either huge targets because of their ability to lessen that burden or are going to dominate because once they achieve their max IC no lesser faction can possibly compete with them at all in anything like a fair competition. I'm still unclear on if I think this is a bad thing or not, but it's certainly an interesting observation. Thanks to the population input into max IC, any of the monster factions claiming a significant portion of kobolds and goblins suddenly threatens to defeat everyone (despite that they're kobolds and goblins) simply by not attacking, reinforcing, and going to ace the IC battle. Small factions just have very little reason to do much else besides try and defeat more populous factions in battle and steal population. And the first person who gains higher order spells and is allowed to specifically attack population can effectively "cap" all of his or her competitors.

Phew. Ok, now forget everything I just said because really I was just thinking as I typed. I meant it what I was talking about Lynn though. Population has an enormously more important role than terrain as per the rules, so if it's bothering someone I can certain claim the "empty empire" of Lynn and be happy about it. My version would be a lot like owning Mars - sure there's a lot of it, but not a lot of neighbors.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I have a good knowledge of the geography of the Flanaess, and have been processing land claims.
To aid Guilt Puppy, I'm going to color in the claims where I can.
I hope this is taken in the spirit in which it was intended, because after all there are a lot of places on that map, a lot of claims, and if one wasn't completely familiar with it it could take a lot of time to do.

EDIT: I've completed all the powers I could. Colors aren't available for the rest of you. Of course, this is preliminary only, based on your claims.
Have a look, at:

http://www.rowf.net/ir/maptest/map-edit.php
http://www.rowf.net/ir/maptest/map-view.php

EDIT: Noted, Anabstercorian. The drow want no trouble with Rary. Not at all. Rary has been more trouble to the drow's enemies than the drow could shake a death lance at.

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
It'd be more productive if the map was finished, I think. You might want to wait until then. :uhoh:

EDIT: Bugbear, do you think I could seize the Duchy of Urnst from you? I'm in need of a bit more population and soil more potable than can be found south of Abbor Alz.

And speaking of Abbor Alz, The Triumvirate Rebellious claims Abbor Alz, Hardby, and the Cliffs of Alz. This may negate my desire to seize the Duchy of Urnst.

Edena, my faction description in the megapost seems entirely accurate. Thank you!

Edena, your claim to the Bright Hills is, I believe, contested by me - but I will happily accept the presence of the Drow in the Bright Hills, Edena. They and I are like-minded, alignment-wise - Chaotic Evil. Ish. Don't go sacrificing the locals to spiders or anything or we'll have to rough you up - you know how feudalism works.

And, um, sorry for not mentioning this sooner: I'm naming my faction the Triumvirate Rebellious. Rary, Robilar, Eli. Down with the Circle of Eight! They suck! All awesome unto us!

Last edited:

Airwhale

First Post
Anyone can look at this, it's just very large. Herein is a description of Grayspace, our claims, and what we suggest has happened in the past 20 years. Please feel free to look at this and tell me where I screwed up, Zelda =)

Also, excuse the writing style... It's been a long day
[sblock]
When the crystal sphere was sealed off 20 years ago, grayspace went into a major panic. There was rioting and looting on many of the human settlements, the arcane were sealed off from the rest of their race, the elven shipyard was cut off from the imperial navy, and trade ground to a halt. During this time, the Beholder nations, the nogi and the mind flayers begin to flourish, as their opponent/food was disorganized. The Free Traders, the remains of the elvish Imperial navy, and the recently unified nation of Ginsel came together and decided to forge an alliance, to remove these groups from Grayspace. We are that triple alliance, mainly made up of elves, humans, and dwarves. Note that this was not really done as a crusade against evil, but more becuse these groups were bad for busness for the traders. After a great war lasting about 10 years, we now rule space uncontested.

So, here is a list of planets in grayspace, where they were 20 years ago, and what has happened to them in the twenty years that the crystal sphere has been sealed.

Oerth:
The center of the sphere, both metaphorically and literally. Not much more needs to be said here.

Kule –
10 million miles (2 hours to Oeath) (Celene, the Handmaiden)

The closest “moon” to Oerth (technically, everything is a moon to Oerth)
Kule has the remnants of a great civilization, apparently wiped out by some great magical war/catastrophe. Zelda and I are in disagreement as to if this moon has an atmosphere, but the Grayspace supplement says it has none. It is a void world. There is some activity in the underdark of this moon, and it’s underdark resembles the underdark of Oerth, though the two are completely separate.

If there is an atmosphere, we lay claim to this planet. If there is not one, we don’t, but we keep it under surveillance.

>Raenei - 20 million miles (7 hours to Oerth) (Luna)
The second moon, Ranei resembles Oerth, It is not as oxygen rich, and sages believe that this has hindered the growth of intelligent life on this planet. Most of the planet is filled with monsters, however, there is a settlement here, named triumph, started from a crash landed spelljammer ship. 20 years ago, they were xenophobic to outsiders.

As the cost of Bronzewood has increased the past 20 years, the free traders have placed a logging settlement here, and that has merged with the town of triumph. They are less xenophobic now then they were, but still live a hard existence.

We claim this. Maybe 1000 people at most? I’m not sure if we should even get any IC from it, honestly.

Liga (Sun)
Fueled by a large portal to the plane of elemental fire (note: does that mean the sun has winked out?J) and kept in check by many small portals to the plane of water, Liga is home to a few dozen efferit. These efferent have a single spelljamming ship, (made of brass) and are internally divided about if they want to just explore or attempt to conquer all of Grayspace.

Nothing-new here. We do not lay claim to the sun.

The moth(Anti-liga)
A burnt out star, basically a large rock. Really hot on one side, really cold on the other. Nothing ever happens here, really

The Grinder (all spacefaring races, undead, other)
We hold several asteroid bases here, and the largest asteroid, Ceres, is the headquarters of the free traders. I have no clue how much population this is, but we claim it =)

Edill (dragons, avians, other reptiles)
Edill has more dragons in it then the rest of Grayspace, Realmspace, and Krynnspace combined. These dragons are of all colors, though 95% are metallic, and 5% are chromatic. All of the dragons tend to be 1.5 times the size and hit dice of their planet bound cousins, and are less territorial and highly social. When you realize this means that ancient red dragons go out in hunting flocks, you know how scary that is. 20 years ago, the red dragons were attempting to procure spelljamming technology from goblins.

I suggest the red dragons have perfected the spelljamming fleets, have managed to acquire the steam-technology from before the war ended in Grayspace, and are now harassing the metallics with it.

We do not claim Edill. We are friendly with the Metallics, however.

Gnibile (undead)
Gnibile has many portals to the negative elemental plane, and the quasi elemental planes. This Air sphere is filled with non-spelljamming undead, (They had acquired 12 ships 20 years ago, however. We are assuming that these 12 ships were destroyed in the war)

We do not lay claim to Gnibile.

Conatha (sahaugin, mermen, other aquatic creatures)
This water sphere is the home of native mermen, intelligent whales (int 7), and introduced sahaugin. The sahugin are vicious, have chased the merfolk to the two earth bodys in the center of the sphere, and have formed nations and are constantly warring with each other. There are hundreds of thousands , maybe even millions sahugin here, much less merfolk.

No one here is space capable, so we have basically ignored this planet. We do not lay claim to Conatha

>Ginsel (predominantly humans, with some demihumans)
Ginsel used to be a Machiavellian society known for it’s sharp merchants and nasty politics. After the gods went silent and the sphere closed, riots rocked the planet, and it was not until a charismatic King/Queen managed to quell the people and place them under one flag that they stopped.

Ginsel is the Heart of the triple alliance. It is second only to Oearth in terms of importance in the system.

We claim all of Ginsel.

Borka (orcs, goblins, other humanoids)
Borka used to be a world much like Oerth, except the goblinoids rose to the highest levels of evolution, instead of the humans. They developed a space fleet, and went to war with the elves.
The elves used the equivalent of High magic to completely destroy the planet, and it is now a cluster body. Most of the orcs are dead, though many remain on the cluster. This all happened in recent history, about 80 or so years ago.

We do not claim Borka.

Greela (predominately humans and elves, smattering of other
demihuman races, few non-evil giants and giantkin)
Greela, another cluster earth body, was primarily home to human miners, and the Elvin Ship growing facility, Cenbreadine. Cenbreadine was the major source for ships in the Imperial fleet. Now shut off from the rest of the elves, Cenbreadine found itself with tons of ships, but no one to fly them. They were eventually convinced by the rest of the alliance to allow (gasp) humans to pilot their ships.

Greela is the seat of the remains of the Elfish imperial navy, and as such, is the second most important planet in the alliance. We claim all of it, including the human miners and the giants.

The Spectre - 4000 million miles (40 days from Oerth)

The Specter, a disk planet close to the edge of the sphere, used to be a major trading point, and had represenitives from every race on it, good and evil. Today, The evil settlements have been wiped out, most of the good settlements have moved to the warmer climes of Ginsel, Greela, or Oerth, and there are many ghost towns here. The Free traders main base used to be here, now it is in Ceres of the Grinder. Some humans decided to stay, unwilling to leave there dreary home. There is still a large Dwarvish mining operation going on here, extracting some sort of magical metal. There is also a colony of Tinker gnomes here, who maintain a giant hampster ranch.

Dwarven citidels:

While dwarves have mainly intergrated into human socity, we do have a dozen citidels who have joined with us.

We lay claim to Specter.
[/sblock]

Soooo, We claim:
Raenei
The Grinder
Ginsel
Greela
The Spectre (giant space hampsters and all)
Dwarven citidels

Edit: We are also claiming an army of half-troll-half-dragons-half-fiends-half-hampsters... making a 200% strong army!

Last edited:

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Edena: I'm fine with retaining the yellow color, and the only update required is that I've now specified the number of Legendary Dreadnought levels as 44.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads