(IR) Preparations for the IR - Thread 3

Anabstercorian

First Post
I noticed a conflict here

In the claims list, the Solistarim listed as both PL 40 and PL 35. Which is accurate?

And is there no way to increase the odds of a successful raid on the city of the gods?

Mr. Draco

First Post
Edena, nice lists.

Yes, it's sad to see valkys go, maybe he'll rejoin?

As to treating it like fun, umm, well, I play chess in tournaments :). Then again, with this level of complexity i can't understand how it could possibly be anything but pure chaos and destruction. It's just that even though I may treat this as a game of chess, I don't treat it as a serious game of chess.

On a side note:
TO EVERYBODY I'm still waiting for many people to get back to me about the non-agression pact, please do so soon, it's not just you willian.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Damn - I wish we wouldn't have lost Valkys. :(

Sadly, his concerns might have a lot of merit; this IR could be much different than the first two. For one, it's set in Greyhawk rather than the Realms, which is a much more serious and somber place. Many of the most powerful nations are evil, and not much is as good as it could be. Which also leads to a different tone, and to different methods, I think...

William Ronald

Explorer
WELCOME BACK!!!!

Hello, Edena:

Are you officially back yet? I can still help.

I am sorry that we lost Valkys.

Edena, I was going to wait until you got back to address the power level with Lynux. I added everything up last night. Possibly, he may want to give up a few things and claim many of the forces that Valkys had. He might have a more consistent faction.

Also, I mentioned the Storm Riders of Telchuria. I e-mailed Zelda, who has only 12 PLs about them. She is sticking with the Northern part of the continent. She e-mailed me back. (My e-mail box has been full of late.)

Zelda accepts the Storm Riders of Telchuria. This is what she wrote:

Ok, I will claim them, or do that for me, but it seems I am terrible busy this week and I don't have time to think this diplomacy and stuff currently.
Doh, that happens.

I recall saying I'd start only after IR is supposed to start, here's the reason.

Edena, did you add the alignment rules to the thread.

Also, I have an idea for the fourth post of each thread. Include the links to Turrosh Mak's wonderful site and Maudlin's magnificent map. They willl greatly help players and give you a quick way to check everything.

Also, I received an e-mail from Uvenelei and one from Creamsteak as well. I believe they will both participate. Uvenelei has decided to pick up a Living Greyhawk Gazetteer for himself. I offered to answer any questions he or Creamsteak might have.

Welcome back!

Have John Brown and Frigid_Spleen left us" I e-mailed John Brown but have yet to hear from him.

Guys, concerning Vecna.

Edena has ruled that unless Vecna is stopped he becomes the sole greater god, our gods lose power, and EVERYONE will lose some as well.

Mr. Draco, I will have a formal reply soon. I have a few family matters to help out with. The thread is fun, but I am busy.

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
I join the Arms Race

Planar

Baatezu (devils)
To entice the baatezu into my service I start by pointing out the large numbers of tana'ri and celestials who are entering this chrystal sphere. I explain to them the need to balance the chaotic influences of these creatures and that the cause of the baatezu race would not benefit from Oerth falling under the sway of such abominations. In exchange for the assistance of diabolic mercenaries I offer an advance payment of 1000 souls and another 1000 souls per month every month more baatezu are summoned. I also offer an individual pay to each baatezu of between 0.1 and 10 souls per month (depending on the HD and species of the devil). If the baatezu are still unwilling to sign the contract I offer to share some of our magic and technological lore with them. If they still balk I offer to send 10000 men (of my choice) to fight in the blood war 20 years from now. (these negotiations are to be completed within the month)
-
Yugoloth (daemons)
To the yugoloth I offer the same deal as the baatezu and try to explain just why they need me more than I need them. I also offer them the exquisite pleasure of torturing prisoners of war on their free time and arrange competitions between baatezu, yugoloth, efreeti and men in the art of causing pain. If none of my planars mind I offer to arrange an "olympic games" of torture for all major species in the multiverse.
-
Fire efreeti ((I don't really know what these creatures want, I have no monster manual so I'm just guessing.))
To the efreeti I offer a world to burn (figuratively). I offer the liquid fire far beneath the lands of the Dark Union for their homelands in this new world. I give them the same offer of souls as I give the baatezu and yugoloth (If they have no interest in tormenting the dead they can always use them as trade-items in the lower planes). Magic and technological lore is also offered if the negotiations seem to take too long.

-
The souls offered as payment in the planar arms race come from old and infirm people who can no longer contribute to society in an other way. If any of the planar species fail to agree I can more than double the payment (though I think my offers are already quite generous). Fortunately the God-Emperor has an overwhelming diplomacy, bluff and sence motive rank and he handles the negotiations personally in the imperial capital Jalpa.

-------

Magical
As a high level mage the God-Emperor has long searched for ways to increase his power and unlock the secrets of the arcane age, now that Kas has returned he is making steady progress. The magical colleges of the Dark Union are given great resources to expand recruitment and research. We are in the magical arms race.
-------

Technological
With the wanderers sending massive efforts are begun into catching up to the gnomes and the UC. Large numbers of skilled laborers and experts put their lives at stake in finding new ways to produce large amounts of goods quickly and building new and deadlier weapons. We are in the technological arms race.
-------

Undead
There is a long tradition of Necromancy in the lands of the Empire. All dead, since about a decade ago, are reanimated into undead form and made to work the hardest and most dangerous work in quarries, stripmines and construction of fortresses, roads and canals and simple farmlabour, they also serve as expendable shock-troops in battle. Damaged undead are mended and reanimated. Higher forms of undead are respected and treated like other powerful citicens, although they are magically bound and compelled to obey the laws and decrees of the Emperor. Lesser undead are masscontrolled and cheaply massanimated with the aid of high level spells (9-10th.) Powerful undead are either animated or allowed to "recruit" under controlled forms, they are also forced to swear their fealty to the God-Emperor on the Rod of Unbreakable Oaths. We are in the undead arms race.

PS. Edena, I like your rules. I guess that makes me lawful evil. ;) DS.

PPS. And a suck-up besides ;) DS.

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
To Kalanyr

------------------------- Kalanyr wrote:
"Hmm, I can accept this offer. What would you like for the secrets of Arcane Magic? I have been studying this magic longer than you have lived and yet it still escapes me in all but my home plane! I must know it!"
-------------------------

"I emphatize with you, because I felt the same way. I just recently recieved arcane magics myself. Imagine, the greatest mage on Oerth being given arcane magics by a fighter! It's really quite simple when you know it but it's hell trying to research it on your own, and for your kind Hell is not a pleasant location.
'What would I like for the secrets of arcane magic?' Nothing you have or would be willing to give at this time, I wager. Perhaps at some time in the future I could exchange it for a favour of some sort. Perhaps, we shall see."

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

William, thank you for Moderating for me.
I appreciate it.
Everyone give William their thanks.

I am back.
Back, to find Valkys departed.

I see that a number of you seem to agree with Valkys.
Remember that I only created most of the rules because people were asking for answers I did not have.
In order to answer their questions, I had to create a system that could provide answers.

I am going to make a major modification in the rules.
Instead of gaining 3 points in the Arms Races, you can only gain 1 point.
This is to prevent points from going through the ceiling in two Turns, and to give the starting points much more meaning.

Where is the meaning if you start at 20, but two Turns later you are at 50?
Under the current system, Oerth would rack up over 1,000 points pretty quickly.

However ...

You can pick any 3 Planar Races you want.
You don't have to explain anything to me, or prove your claim is worthwhile.
Just go ahead and pick the Planars, and they're yours.

You are all automatically in all the Arms Races, unless you don't want to be in one (such as the Undead Arms Race.)

Once I finish updating the rules, in 30 minutes or so, have a read.

You can still gain big from advancing your civilization. That is not changed.

Bonedagger

First Post
Wow... Lots of rules and a guy leaving:(

Ahh. Don't feel sad. We will have fun.

I see that I lack a PC (Player Character smart-a... annoying person:)) Not feeling any need to increase my powerlevel any further, I chose Vecna.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
ALSO IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

Williams wrote:

Are you officially back yet? I can still help.
I am sorry that we lost Valkys.

I'm back. Thanks again, Williams. I am so sorry I refuse to delete Valkys from the Lists until the 19th. Valkys could always change his mind.

- - -

Edena, I was going to wait until you got back to address the power level with Lynux. I added everything up last night. Possibly, he may want to give up a few things and claim many of the forces that Valkys had. He might have a more consistent faction.

Lynux is over 100 points, especially with the NPCs I just gave him.
He needs to post, relinquishing either NPCs, a nation or two, or both.

- - -

Also, I mentioned the Storm Riders of Telchuria. I e-mailed Zelda, who has only 12 PLs about them. She is sticking with the Northern part of the continent. She e-mailed me back. (My e-mail box has been full of late.)
Zelda accepts the Storm Riders of Telchuria. This is what she wrote:

quote:

Ok, I will claim them, or do that for me, but it seems I am terrible busy this week and I don't have time to think this diplomacy and stuff currently.
Doh, that happens.

Cheers, William! Now, Zelda is in this fully, which I wanted badly. Thanks!

- - -

Edena, did you add the alignment rules to the thread.

I think so. I'll check it.

- - -

Also, I have an idea for the fourth post of each thread. Include the links to Turrosh Mak's wonderful site and Maudlin's magnificent map. They willl greatly help players and give you a quick way to check everything.

I totally agree. Maudlin, Turrosh Mak, would you do that? It'd be great.

- - -

Also, I received an e-mail from Uvenelei and one from Creamsteak as well. I believe they will both participate. Uvenelei has decided to pick up a Living Greyhawk Gazetteer for himself. I offered to answer any questions he or Creamsteak might have.

They need a chance to claim nations.
They should both look at the list, then make all their claims, BEFORE they look at who has currently claimed what.
Then, I can put up their claims on the Lists.
They have the right to contest their claims like anyone else.

- - -

Welcome back!

Have John Brown and Frigid_Spleen left us? I e-mailed John Brown but have yet to hear from him.

I am worried about that. We cannot run the IR without Iuz, and the Empire of Iuz.
It is too strategically important to the situation.
If we have lost John Brown, I need someone to run the empire of Iuz. Someone new.

- - -

Guys, concerning Vecna.
Edena has ruled that unless Vecna is stopped he becomes the sole greater god, our gods lose power, and EVERYONE will lose some as well.

Vecna has been claimed as a Player Character by Bonedagger.
Ok.
Vecna does NOT ascend to Greater God, if nobody does anything about him.
He remains a mortal being, permanently.
The other Gods of Oerth are not going to lose one level of Godhood.
Nobody will lose any PL because they didn't kill him immediately on Turn One, or Turn Two, etc.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases