IRON DM General Discussion

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I will continue to advocate for no word limits. I've read all of the justifications and reasonings to limit the word count, and I understand where everyone is coming from. And I still don't want them. ;)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
For those wanting a glimpse of how I am aggregating the data in a spreadsheet. I am realizing as I type this that I need a column for system (early on it was all D&D) and maybe for suggested levels (though maybe not, b/c it is very inconsistently mentioned)>

Edit: This is now in proper shape and you can follow along as I fill out the tabs - first one (available) down, and started on the next one. I am switching btwn doing this and formatting entries depending on my mood and energy.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The original tourney (and any others before spring 2002) are also lost.

Yeah, ignore that - that tab was not what I wanted to show. As I come across references to "lost" tourneys I jot them down, and so far it has only been two. I am looking for specific names/dates references, not just "there was one."

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Just a note that I finally finished grabbing and cleaning up IRON DM 2009, which ended up being 254 pages (!) spread across four google docs (one for each round).

And with that I am gonna take a short break from this project to avoid burn out and will return to it soon enough.

Oh and @CleverNickName, the tournament you agreed to do is gonna be at least that long (is my guess), so you may have chosen the wrong one to get your feet wet with. :ROFLMAO:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I skipped IRON DM 2010 because CNN said he'd be taking care of it, so it may be that that tournament was the actual first, but IRON 2011 is the first I've discovered that had a set word count (2000 words) and the first where I have encountered @Wicht's judging criteria/point system.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Oh and I also found what I assume is the reason why nowadays the judges link to and reference a specific word counter.

In his response to @Rune's judgement, steeldragons says that he has the word count at 1998 but Rune dinged him for a 2002 word count. For what it's worth, google docs calls it 1844. :unsure::oops:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sorry for the delay, work suddenly got very hectic and I'm now behind on several deadlines. I'll jump back on it as soon as I can. As for the word count, I can vouch that Iron DM 2010 did not have a word limit.

Rune

Once A Fool
Oh and I also found what I assume is the reason why nowadays the judges link to and reference a specific word counter.

In his response to @Rune's judgement, steeldragons says that he has the word count at 1998 but Rune dinged him for a 2002 word count. For what it's worth, google docs calls it 1844. :unsure::oops:
Yet, for some reason, we let that kind of thing happen quite a few times before actually standardizing. Lessons learned. Eventually.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
For those wanting a glimpse of how I am aggregating the data in a spreadsheet. I am realizing as I type this that I need a column for system (early on it was all D&D) and maybe for suggested levels (though maybe not, b/c it is very inconsistently mentioned)>

Edit: This is now in proper shape and you can follow along as I fill out the tabs - first one (available) down, and started on the next one. I am switching btwn doing this and formatting entries depending on my mood and energy.

This spreadsheet is now updated with the IRON DM Fall 2002 data.

Remove ads