• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes - I have it in my hands!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
How easy to run?

First an opinion, then a question to all those with the book.

Opinion:
It seems like IH has a ton of choices for PCs, which is great for tactically-minded powergamer types (like myself). But this staggering array of options sounds like it'd be an absolute pain to DM.

Say your players start a fight in a bar. I have a fairly good idea of what the stats would be for, say, couple warriors, a fighter or two, and a barbarian. Power Attack and Cleave, maybe some Dodge, some Weapon Focus, call it good.

But man, this IH stuff sounds complicated. When you add in Stunts, can you imagine what a 4 on 4 fight would be like? Or opening up a lair of 20-30 lizardmen?

Question:
So, does IH have a bunch of pre-statted foes? I'm thinking of the pregenerated NPCs in D&D's DMG.

-z

EricNoah

Adventurer
Zaruthustran said:
So, does IH have a bunch of pre-statted foes? I'm thinking of the pregenerated NPCs in D&D's DMG.

-z

No. We're thinking that there might be something along this line in either the GM book or the Creature book.

For now, I'm going to assume the NPC monsters/grunts only have access to their printed D&D feats. They probably won't use stunts against the PCs. And then I might stat out an IH "boss/leader" type or two as special villains.

MacMathan

Explorer
As I read it most people/humanoids in the world do not have tokens and such. They are NPC classes like warrior or expert that we are already familiar with and thus very simple to run.

In IH the heroes really are a step above the norm, much more so than in 3.5- of course since they are integrating the functional power of all those magic goodies into their innate class abilities it makes sense that they are exceptional.

They really are Heroic in a power sense.

Dave Turner

First Post
EricNoah said:
No. We're thinking that there might be something along this line in either the GM book or the Creature book.

For now, I'm going to assume the NPC monsters/grunts only have access to their printed D&D feats. They probably won't use stunts against the PCs. And then I might stat out an IH "boss/leader" type or two as special villains.
As I recall, Mike has created a new NPC/villain system for the IH GM book that is supposed to wipe away fears like those that Zarathustran has. It's supposed to make villain creation a snap, something like "minutes per villain". If you think Mike has hit the mark with IH, then it's a fair bet that he's hit the mark with these new villain rules. ;)

TerraDave said:
As I suspected all along, from the posts here it is reading pretty cool...

...but before I actually break down and get a copy, any thoughts on using the skill and combat challenges and skill group rules in a standard D&D/D20 game?

I would say that this is one of the things from IH that would fit the easiest in a regular D&D game.

'Course, there may be as yet unnoticed problems. ;)

:)

Particle_Man

Explorer
Got it in Canada! And thanks to Malhavoc for the speedy erratta! This makes it easier for one decision of mine. I will get the hardcovers of MM and the DMG for iron heroes because then I can write the erratta in the books, which I can't do with pdf's because I only have the acrobat reader, not the acrobat writer/editor.

I like the book, although I will likely have to go over it closely to see where some of the minor changes are from 3.5 PHB to IH PHB (the major changes are easy enough to spot).

Driddle

First Post
I may have picked up a misprinted copy -- can't seem to find the section on prestige classes. What page numbers should I be looking for?

Remove ads