• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes - I have it in my hands!

Particle_Man

Explorer
Since it is an alternate player's handbook, there are no prestige classes. Maybe there will be some in the "DM" book coming out in September (Novermber for the print version)?

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
Particle_Man said:
I will get the hardcovers of MM and the DMG for iron heroes because then I can write the erratta in the books, which I can't do with pdf's because I only have the acrobat reader, not the acrobat writer/editor.
Malhavoc is good about releasing updated PDFs with corrected errata, though.

Stone Dog

Adventurer
buzz said:
Malhavoc is good about releasing updated PDFs with corrected errata, though.
Yes they are. Just don't change the file name and sooner or later they will have a free patch that updates your PDF. Good solid service there.

Driddle

First Post
Particle_Man said:
Since it is an alternate player's handbook, there are no prestige classes. Maybe there will be some in the "DM" book coming out in September (Novermber for the print version)?

Honestly, I was being a bit facetious. Tongue-in-cheek, as it were.

This game system really doesn't need prestige classes. It would be like dipping a fully-loaded banana split in batter and deep-frying it on a stick.

Stone Dog

Adventurer
Driddle said:
This game system really doesn't need prestige classes. It would be like dipping a fully-loaded banana split in batter and deep-frying it on a stick.
Oh lord, that sounds good.

-The Dog, revealing a goodly bit about his gaming style.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I think what IH has done is hit the "Sweet spot" of DM/Player interaction.

In general, players like having lots of options, crunchy bits, etc.

In general, DM's like to have easy to generate npc's, creatures, etc.

Now with rules lite systems, you have something that is easy to run, but then the players lose some of their options.

But with IH, it seems like the PC's (being qualitatively *better* than most other people), get tons of options in the form of feat mastery, tokens, etc. The DM, on the other hand, can stick with tokenless rubes (aristocrats, warriors, experts, commoners) and monsters. And when the other books come out, there is the promise of having "quickie villains" to further make the DM's life easy without restricting player choice.

If I am correct in this assumption, then this is a *huge* point in favor of IH. I mean, I just got the book and saw all the feat options and my head exploded. But a player of course would have his chosen feats that he knows, his chosen class that he knows the abilities of, his favorite skill stunt routines, etc. So it won't be overwhelming, once the shock wears off. And the DM has an even easier time, as she can simply go "OK, I will trust the player to know what to do and I will send some warriors against them, and later, a Hill Giant". The DM doesn't have to think about token pools, super-feats, etc., for her NPC's, and thus will save time, especially in a combat with more than one NPC.

Sounds good to me!

The game even has pretty good recommendations for letting the DM send bizarre versions of normal classes against IH PCs for extra creepiness.

People/entities blazing with internal magical energy so they can power their insane fetishes.

Kaos

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
The game even has pretty good recommendations for letting the DM send bizarre versions of normal classes against IH PCs for extra creepiness.

People/entities blazing with internal magical energy so they can power their insane fetishes.

I think the 'extra creepiness' factor is a side effect more than an intention; the recommendations are there to let them have their crutches (magical gear) without having them fall into the hands of IH classed characters.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Driddle said:
Honestly, I was being a bit facetious. Tongue-in-cheek, as it were.

I have thought about it, and there is room for at least 1 prestige class.

Something that allows one to be a multi-class Arcanist/Non-Arcanist without sucking. Something like the DMG's Eldritch Knight, I would imagine.

Kaos

First Post
Particle_Man said:
I have thought about it, and there is room for at least 1 prestige class.

Something that allows one to be a multi-class Arcanist/Non-Arcanist without sucking. Something like the DMG's Eldritch Knight, I would imagine.

Solid numbercrunching or playtesting may reveal otherwise, but from what I've seen of the Arcanist, multiclassing isn't going to be any more painful to him than it is for any of the other classes. As-is, his access to the magic system isn't a major component of his power (with a few exceptional methods that seem to give too much result) so the traditional issues of multiclassed casters (lower caster level for spell resistance and lost access to higher level spells) don't play nearly as much havoc with him as with traditional casters.

Remove ads