Iron Heroes - I have it in my hands!

Magic:
1. Gather mana. The arcanist must determine how much mana to gather. Depending on his level, he there's a limit to how much he can gather without risking damage to mind and body. When spending mana you reduce the remaining available mana by the mana spent. If this brings you mana in the negative, you must save (Fort DC15 + amount of negative mana) or suffer strain. Strain is temporary damage equal to your negative mana to *all* ability scores.

2. Create spell effect. There are eight scools of magic: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation. An arcanist chooses at 1st level which scool to be his primary and another to be his secondary. At 3rd level he gets a tertiary scool and at 5th level he gets access to all scools. This determines his spell mastery ratings in the various schools.
The mastery determines what is possible to do with the spell.

3. Channel the spell. 1d20 + mastery of school. DC equal to mana spent on spell + 5 + your int mod. Fail by 10 or less, a moderate disaster strikes. Fail by more than 10, a major disaster strikes. Each scool has different disasters listed.

I will get back with a more detailed example of spellcasting

Ibram

First Post
First: What Dark Gods to you make a pact with to get it so early... cause mine cant seem to do anything...

Second: Wow, I like the way that magic system works... a quick question: the DC to cast a spell is equal to the amount of mana spent + 5 + Int mod right. so is there a way to vary the amount of mana spent on an effect, and does that influence the spell in any way?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
The magic system sounds interesting.

I must say, this "resources gathered inside combat" concept seems pretty ... revolutionary to me. Something that I feel myself very attracted to, which might draw me to the game, or at least lead to me ripping all the guts out of the system and strapping it on to Grim Tales. That aspect being included in magic seems interesting, as magic has generally been a "count down" system ... Spells Memorized, Spells Per Day, Spell Points, using Hit Points or Ability Points ... etc.

--fje

A'koss

Explorer
Sorcica said:
From what I've read so far, it doesn't take a magic weapon to hit incorporel beings. Everything else is the same.
Eh? Are there any special requirements to hitting incorporeal creatures? You can't just whack away at them with ordinary weapons, can you...?

No magic weapons as far as I can see. At least, they're not mentioned in equipment. Maybe there's some feats. Have to check.

No change to ability raises.

Turanil: It's hard to say yet. I still need to read the book. ;)

In Blue Rose, PCs get a feat every level. If you dropped the damge save, and used hit points, I wouldn't say BR is overpowered. Has to do with the way magic works, I think.
It does look very powerful. FX. there's no feat in the epic handbook that makes you automatically crit. But in IH, there is.
I've complained before about AE being a powercreep. But I won't make a judgement until I've read and absorped the book and used it - but hey, that's me!

One thing though, it seems to be woefully uncompatible to standard D&D. Can't see how you could have a party with elements of both.

Ibram said:
First: What Dark Gods to you make a pact with to get it so early... cause mine cant seem to do anything...

Second: Wow, I like the way that magic system works... a quick question: the DC to cast a spell is equal to the amount of mana spent + 5 + Int mod right. so is there a way to vary the amount of mana spent on an effect, and does that influence the spell in any way?

The Dark Gods of Scandinavia are powerful indeed!

The amount of mana spent depends on the desired spell effect. The more powerful the spell, the more mana it costs

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Sorcica said:
One thing though, it seems to be woefully uncompatible to standard D&D. Can't see how you could have a party with elements of both.

And I still don't understand why people seem to want it to be... :confused:

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
A'koss said:
Eh? Are there any special requirements to hitting incorporeal creatures? You can't just whack away at them with ordinary weapons, can you...?

Solomon Kane did it - now you can, too!

HeapThaumaturgist said:
I must say, this "resources gathered inside combat" concept seems pretty ... revolutionary to me. Something that I feel myself very attracted to, which might draw me to the game, or at least lead to me ripping all the guts out of the system and strapping it on to Grim Tales. That aspect being included in magic seems interesting, as magic has generally been a "count down" system ... Spells Memorized, Spells Per Day, Spell Points, using Hit Points or Ability Points ... etc.

I agree, it's absolutely revolutionary - for pen-and-paper RPGs.

It's fairly common in electronic games, though, including RPGs. The Wild ARMs series, for example, uses a Force Point system very similar in concept to Iron Heroes. Limit Breaks in the Final Fantasy series also build up 'in battle.'

I love the way those systems work in console RPGs.

My only concern is that Iron Heroes could end up more like a lot of Real-Time Strategy games (Warcraft and the like), where resource gathering becomes more important than actually fighting.

Seems unlikely, though. Mearls knows what he's about. :)

Remove ads