Iron Heroes - I have it in my hands!

fuindordm said:
Looking forward to the example. Thanks for the scoop!

Ben

You're welcome, here's an example from the book:
"Brigit blasts a group of skeletons with a 30-foot cone of flame. The minimum mastery for the cone is 7, while the fire damage is mastery 1. Thus, the base cost of the spell is 8 mana: 7 for the the area of effect and 1 (half of 1 is 0.5, which rounds up to 1. always round up when figuring mana costs). She wants the spell to inflict 4d6 points of damage, for an additional 4 mana.

The blast's total cost becomes 12 mana. Normally the channeling DC for a 12-mana spell is 17. However, for this method you double the mana spent on amage to determine the DC. In this case, the DC is now 21: base DC 5, plus 7 for the area of effect, plus 1 for the fire energy type, plus 8 for spending 4 mana on damage."

XCorvis

First Post
In the example the int mod isn't mentioned at all - that's probably a typo then, since it makes little sense, and can be safely ignored.

So it should read:
3. Channel the spell. 1d20 + mastery of school. DC equal to mana spent on spell + 5 + your int mod. Fail by 10 or less, a moderate disaster strikes. Fail by more than 10, a major disaster strikes. Each scool has different disasters listed.

Turanil said:
I can't wait for someone writing a detailed review.

My question: do you feel this system is overpowered (compared to normal d20)? Imean: BABs that are +5 higher than normal d20 babs, one feat per two levels, all saves at +1 per level... :eek:

No magic weapons = low attack bonus. A higher BAB is not overpowered.

One feat per two levels - have to read the book first.

All saves at +1/level? Good! I'm tired of not being able to get a low save equal to my level. (The MM says a CR 7 creature's low saves should be +7. It's hard to get a fighter with Ref and Will saves of +7 as a PC, who has more gear than an equal level NPC. It only gets worse at higher level. And if the fighter is bad, the rogue is worse...)

Turjan

Explorer
Sorcica said:
You're welcome, here's an example from the book:
"Brigit blasts a group of skeletons with a 30-foot cone of flame. The minimum mastery for the cone is 7, while the fire damage is mastery 1. Thus, the base cost of the spell is 8 mana: 7 for the the area of effect and 1 (half of 1 is 0.5, which rounds up to 1. always round up when figuring mana costs). She wants the spell to inflict 4d6 points of damage, for an additional 4 mana.

The blast's total cost becomes 12 mana. Normally the channeling DC for a 12-mana spell is 17. However, for this method you double the mana spent on amage to determine the DC. In this case, the DC is now 21: base DC 5, plus 7 for the area of effect, plus 1 for the fire energy type, plus 8 for spending 4 mana on damage."
Ah, simple and intuitive. That's how I love it :D.

Anthtriel

First Post
What interests me most is how shields work. +2 AC alone seems somewhat worthless for a 20th level character. Are there shield feats for them, to make them more powerful?

Oh, and how does the Man-at-Arms work? Does he have token of his own?

Thanks in advance. :)

XCorvis said:
In the example the int mod isn't mentioned at all - that's probably a typo then, since it makes little sense, and can be safely ignored.

My thought as well. Guess we'll have to wait ans see what Mearls or Monte says about it.

Anthtriel said:
What interests me most is how shields work. +2 AC alone seems somewhat worthless for a 20th level character. Are there shield feats for them, to make them more powerful?

Oh, and how does the Man-at-Arms work? Does he have token of his own?

Thanks in advance. :)
Shiel Mastery feat chain makes shiels very useful indeed.

Man-at-arms, let's see.....

average BAB, average defense. Gets bonus feat more or less like a fighter. He gets 'wild cards' which is a feat you choose when you need it. It then remains that feat for the rest of the day. The next day, you choose a new feat when you need it. (Cool).
The man-at-arms gets feat mastery in all feats.

Anthtriel

First Post
Sorcica said:
Man-at-arms, let's see.....

average BAB, average defense. Gets bonus feat more or less like a fighter. He gets 'wild cards' which is a feat you choose when you need it. It then remains that feat for the rest of the day. The next day, you choose a new feat when you need it. (Cool).
The man-at-arms gets feat mastery in all feats.
Thanks. :)
So he is indeed the feat man, as some expected.

And if you wouldn't mind to tell us, who gets sneak attack, the Executioner or the Thief? Or both?

Remove ads