• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes - I have it in my hands!

Michael Tree said:
What are the conversion guidelines like for using D&D without magic items? If I want to create a game using the IL fighting classes, AE witchs magisters and mageblades, and D&D druids, without magic items, does it have concrete guidelines for what to do with the AE and D&D classes?

Sort of, but not really, no :\

It give guidelines to convert IH characters to D&D, but not really how to mix them. I honestly don't think I'm doing the conversion guidelines justice, but the way I read them (briefly), the various systems don't seem to mix well.

Kunimatyu said:
Darn. I was hoping for a caster who just summoned elementals/mephits to perform tasks for him.
Well, you could always describe the spell as being elementals/imps doing the work, creating the mechanic effects of the spell.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Sorcica said:
Well, you could always describe the spell as being elementals/imps doing the work, creating the mechanic effects of the spell.

That's a possibility.

How does the Armiger work in terms of tokens/abilities? I've got a player chomping at the bit to play one, and he'll be grateful for any information.

Talgian

First Post
How does the harrier work? Mearls said they don't use tokens, so I'm curious what they get in place.

Also, is there any way to create a useable unarmed character? Not necessarily like the Monk, but, you know, someone who just uses their body as weapons?

Carry on,
-Talgian

Turanil

First Post
Well, it looks like that Iron Heroes has very interesting premises: tokens, stunts, dangerous magic, no magical items, the classes, etc. It would certainly fit extremely well to use in a Conan's Hyboria setting. In fact, I would not be adverse to try this game someday, but only as a player. This seems as heavy to run as normal D&D, for which I have some difficulties past 10th level. Also it seems to entirely focus on combat, and I do not want to do only that in a game. Then, it seems overpowered. I don't see why the game could not be built with traditional BAB and saving throws, and d20 rate of gaining feats. Anyway, to each his own.

Anthtriel said:
I'll definately have a Executioner in my campaign then. ^^
I have just one question left then. What kind of character is the harrier? I know he is supposed to use light armor and weapons, but what is the difference to the executioner?

Your answers are very much appreciated. :)

Superior movement is the harrier. He moves very fast in combat, he defends very well against attacks of opportunity, he gets defense bonus based on the distance he has moved, can run and attack, he tumbles over the foes etc. That's the Harrier. The Executioner is more like an assassin, in a nutshell.

Turanil said:
Well, it looks like that Iron Heroes has very interesting premises: tokens, stunts, dangerous magic, no magical items, the classes, etc. It would certainly fit extremely well to use in a Conan's Hyboria setting. In fact, I would not be adverse to try this game someday, but only as a player. This seems as heavy to run as normal D&D, for which I have some difficulties past 10th level. Also it seems to entirely focus on combat, and I do not want to do only that in a game. Then, it seems overpowered. I don't see why the game could not be built with traditional BAB and saving throws, and d20 rate of gaining feats. Anyway, to each his own.

The more i'm reading, the more I'm thinking Conan. I'm was already toying with a campaign that blends Hyboria and Middle-earth (blasphemy, I know), and I think IH would be a good fit. Have been planning to use True20, so will have to decide.

I think it is more heavy to run than D&D. It even says in the book that 'combat takes longer'. It also says that much of the focus is on combat. But then again, it has some very very cool feats that are effective both in and out of combat.

I agree that as I'm reading it here and now, there seems to be no reason why it couldn't have beed done with standard BAB, saves etc. IH looks to me, so far at least, to be all or nothing. Either IH or D&D.
So I will have to talk to my players as well, of course. Even if we decide against IH, it is a goldmine of game design, that can be plundered again and again.

Remove ads