• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Kingdoms World Guide...

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Can someone post a table of contents for the IKWG? I'm thinking of getting it, but I can't find any reviews aside from a semi-complete one on RPG.Net Thanks!

LordEther

First Post
If you're looking to run an IK game, the world guide is more than worth the cash, in my opinion. The product is massive (400 pages) and jam-packed with useful information.

It starts with a History and Timeline for Immoren that runs a little over 30 pages. A lot of interesting stuff on how things got to where they are now.

After the history, the guide goes into Industries, Institutions, and Society, which discusses a number of issues from law to trade to technology. Here, you'll find background information on education, entertainment, industries, goods, currencies, prominent organizations, laws/penalties, railways, and more for each of the nations. Also, you'll find a fairly useful list of possible Immorese professions, just to help give you a handle on the setting, if you don't have one, yet. It's all very good background information that really helps drive home some of the differences between the nations. This section clocks in at around 90 pages.

Then, the book devotes a chapter to each of the major world powers (almost... Cryx, Ios, Rhul, and the Bloodstone Marches are grouped together), detailing leadership, provinces, and noteworthy cities and locations. Well over 200 pages are devoted to this material.

An interesting thing about this product is the way sidebars are used to fill out areas, sometimes providing specific information on an individual, situation, location, or organization, and sometimes (as in the case involving university educations) providing small supplemental game rules. A great deal of care has gone into this product, and it's obvious the writers wanted to make it as useful as possible. I won't touch D&D with a 10' pole, but I can still get optimal use out of this product with True20 or Savage Worlds or any other system I pick up. While there is a smattering of small rules, most of what we get in the world guide is world information.

Not only does the IKWG have an Index, but it has an NPC Appendix (much like the Character Guide, only much more useful for this product, where one might need to track down important personas from particular nations).

The artwork, as one should expect from Privateer Press, is wonderful, and even if the margins are a bit wide, the text works well with the space. There's a lot in this book. So much that I promise you won't be able to take it all in in a single sitting. If you don't already know about it, there's a beautiful, color map included, too, which should be a great selling point.

All in all, it's a fantastic book. I'd highly recommend it as well worth the price, even if you're only going to use it for reading material.

So the abbreviated ToC (not including subsections...):
Chapter One: History and Timeline...10
Chapter Two: Industries, Institutions & Society...50
Chapter Three: Cygnar...142
Chapter Four: Khador...198
Chapter Five: Occupied Llael...236
Chapter Six: Protectorate of Menoth...264
Chapter Seven: Ord...282
Chapter Eight: Cryx, Ios, Rhul & More...312
NPC Appendix...372
Index...392

Just my thoughts, there. I hope this helps...

cybernetic

Explorer
I'll concure with LordEther above..

Iron Kingdoms World Guide is a superb book. I bought it even though I have no real intention of running a game in the world anytime soon. I have all the Iron Kingdoms books, actually. I enjoyed just reading them. The Iron Kingdoms setting is easily one of the most thought-out and interesting worlds I've seen for any RPG.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads