Iron Lore: Malhavoc's Surprise?

Felon

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
So yeah, give em armiger, archer, or executioner but recognize there is room for someone who is a great horseman and that is what they do.

The problem is, there often isn't "room". Having a character essentially defined by a halft-ton of equipment he has to lug around lacks a certain element of pragmatism.

And if you bear in mind that a horse is external to the character, and what IL's overall goal is, it's not surprising that we don't see a horseman class.

Last edited:

SixFootGnome

First Post
Nomad or Knight

I'd incline to say that being rich and deftly navigating feudal obligations would be an equally valid description of what defines a knight, and having no permanent dwelling as defining for a nomad. I understand what you're trying to say about there being a 'mounted combat' mystique, but I don't feel that it is truly central to either of those more than it is for someone else who elects to do so. Rather, there is just this nebulous concept of mounted combat, which I think could be adequately expressed through feats and skills rather than through a dedicated class.

That isn't to say that feats and skills rather than a dedicated class is a better solution save only that it prevents the sticky issue of balancing someone whose primary class ability is much easier to interfere with than is typical.

I'm hoping that the man-at-arms gets diverse mastery options and more than IL-standard feats. Then some of those can be set aside to do riding while still having a normal number of feats for normal combat from-the-saddle. That's about all the enablement that I really see as needful. The core problem with mounted combat normally is that in order to get the good feats for it the character has to otherwise put himself *way behind* most other characters in terms of his dismounted capabilities. If the man-at-arms is truly capable as a generalist, he may be able to choose mounted combat as one area of skill without completely hosing himself otherwise.

A'koss

Explorer
Regarding Skill Groups in IL.

I was reading over some of the comments Mike made on the Malhavoc board in response to one poster who asked why Move Silently and Hide in Shadows were separate skills and not combined as in AE. He said something to the effect that "This will all become clear with Skill Groups." It made me wonder if there are other benefits to Skill Groups other that just having related skills in one place for cheap ranks. Perhaps Skill Groups allow you to combine the skills in the group in ways you couldn't if you just cherry-picked them. Skill Group = single skill roll?

Reading too much into it?

A'koss.

Felon

First Post
I think that lends credence to the supposition that skill groups will allow a character to buy ranks in multiple skills with a single skill point, assuming the class grants that skill group.

Of course, if cross-class skills are eliminated, we may see an inundation of tumbling acrobats. Guess that's not a problem, unless you aspire to be the party's resident acrobat.

A'koss

Explorer
Felon said:
Of course, if cross-class skills are eliminated, we may see an inundation of tumbling acrobats. Guess that's not a problem, unless you aspire to be the party's resident acrobat.
A little early to tell methinks. There could very well be classes specifically geared towards the acrobatic style of fighting - Harrier perhaps? Thief?

I also noticed that the Hunter doesn't have class abilities at most of his even levels. That might give us a clue as to how many feats IL characters get - 1 @ 1st level and every 2nd level thereafter? That way you roughly get one new ability every level, whether class or feat. We'll see what if the Archer holds true to this pattern...

A'koss.

SixFootGnome said:
I'd incline to say that being rich and deftly navigating feudal obligations would be an equally valid description of what defines a knight, and having no permanent dwelling as defining for a nomad. I understand what you're trying to say about there being a 'mounted combat' mystique, but I don't feel that it is truly central to either of those more than it is for someone else who elects to do so. Rather, there is just this nebulous concept of mounted combat, which I think could be adequately expressed through feats and skills rather than through a dedicated class.

That isn't to say that feats and skills rather than a dedicated class is a better solution save only that it prevents the sticky issue of balancing someone whose primary class ability is much easier to interfere with than is typical.

I'm hoping that the man-at-arms gets diverse mastery options and more than IL-standard feats. Then some of those can be set aside to do riding while still having a normal number of feats for normal combat from-the-saddle. That's about all the enablement that I really see as needful. The core problem with mounted combat normally is that in order to get the good feats for it the character has to otherwise put himself *way behind* most other characters in terms of his dismounted capabilities. If the man-at-arms is truly capable as a generalist, he may be able to choose mounted combat as one area of skill without completely hosing himself otherwise.

Hmm, I'd say that being rich and deftly navigating feudal obligations is in many ways distinctly un-knightlike, but I'll give you much of the rest.

It's just that there is a mystique that I think DnD is particularly silly about not exploring. It's not that you can't do it right through feats and traits, but that there is a level of rightness that you miss. I think that in many ways is rather silly about punishing people who want to ride a horse as a stick, it's true of unarmed fighters as well, and then giving them huge benefits otherwise. It's not a terrible system, but it does lead to the situation you describe above.

I don't think it has to be that way. I think that if you are good at riding a horse and combat from the top of a horse it will give you plenty of lessons that will also serve you well when you aren't riding a horse.

Were I to put it in the terms that IL used for its other classes, and let's call this class the Cavalier for the moment:

Cavalier: Drawing on charisma, endurance, and perfect timing the cavalier is an unmatched horseman. His charges hit with devastating power. If a foe unmounts him, he calls upon his durability and matchless courage to carry him through the fray.

It certainly fits the overall 'theory' of the game particularly if it's going to include item dependent classes like the archer and, well, everyone except for the theoretical unarmed combat focused weapon master.

Not to say that I don't recognize the difference between the size of a horse and most other mundane equipment, but it's a martial archetype that I think is under-used in the gaming system. To carry over from another model I mentioned earlier:

Beastmaster
: While other warriors rely on steel and art, the beastmaster uses his domineering personality to craft weapons from his animal companions and to crush the spirit of his foes. A master of horse, hound, and hawk, the beastmaster harnesses the human spirit as a noble leader or demoralizing sadist.

As I said I think there are a number of different ways to do this, but I don't really think of this as a criticism of Iron Lore as a backhanded bit of praise. I've rarely seen a system that made me want to rectify this problem in DnD as much as this has. Well, AE did it pretty well with the Totem Warrior, though it had that AE mystic touch and lacked a mount oriented version.

On a complete and total side note. Trying to sum up classes in the manner of that design diary is tremendous hoot. I highly recommend it.

On a totally different note, looking over the original 8 page preview in light of the new information is pretty interesting.

Particularly the feat. The mastery system makes a lot more sense, and makes Hunters look dang scary if they get tactical feats with the amazing powers and progression of the Vorpal Hurricane feat they have in the preview.

Andor

First Post
Wow. A bunch of speculation confirmed there:

You do get a feat every even level.

BAB progression can exceed 1 per level.

Some interesting new stuff too:

Split BAB progression.

Some bows have a cap on possible bonus damage.

A token pool specific to a single foe, which resets when you switch targets. Makes me wonder if the Waepon Master works the same way.

A token powered sneak attack (effectively).

A lot of the projectile feats grant additional attacks.

The archer should get a 5th iterative ranged attack at 17th level but doesn't. This could be a system cap at 4 iterative attacks or iterative attack progression could vary by class.

Nifty.

Remove ads