Ironeyes the Bloodlock, or, Dwarf warlock/wizard is scary

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I’ve just begun to explore the Warlock class in depth, and came across a combo that leverages the dwarven racial ability, the rule that you make a single damage roll for Area of Effect damage, and the rules for stacking ongoing damage (like effects don't stack, differing effects do).

Start with Dwarf Warlock, with 18 Con and 16 Int. Multiclass with wizard, what for to unlock the Blood Mage paragon path. Level up to 16th to unlock Burning Blood.

The combo is:
Standard action Blood Pulse + Free Action Bolstering Blood + Minor-action Second Wind for Burning Blood + action point for standard action Howl of Doom (pushing all creatures in close blast 3 a total number of squares = 1 + Int) + Blood Action (triggered by spending action point).

Assuming 22 Con and 20 Int at 16th level, that’s:

• Blood Pulse for 2d6 + 5 (area burst 3)
  • Free action Bolstering Blood to add 2d10 to the damage roll for Blood Pulse
  • Burning Blood for 6 + 5 + Ongoing 5 fire (all enemies within 10 squares; the +5 and ongoing 5 fire only apply to those hit by Blood Pulse)
  • Howl of Doom for 2d6 + 6 thunder, push 6 squares for 6d6 from Blood Pulse (close blast 3)
  • Add Ongoing 10 to Howl of Doom from Blood Action

For a grand total of 10d6 + 2d10 + 22 + 5 ongoing fire + 10 ongoing untyped damage, and push 6 squares. That's a range of 49 - 117 damage. Up to 9 enemies at once can be exposed to both attacks. None of that is counting magic items or feats, or the +2d6 to at least one target from Warlock’s Curse. :)

Ironeyes
Dwarf Warlock
Str 13
Con 18
Dex 11
Int 16
Wis 12
Cha 8

Bump Con and Int every four levels, for 22 Con and 20 Int at 16th.

Feats by level:
1. Chain Armor
2. Scale Armor
4. Shield Proficiency (light)
6. Improved Initiative
8. Toughness
10. Multi: Wizard
11. Twofold Curse
12. Dwarven Durability
14. Combat Anticipation
16. Improved Second Wind

These give Ironeyes the durability and defense he needs to survive. Not sure that 2 feats is worth what is effectively a +1 AC over hide armor + Int, but what the heck. He can pick up Plate at 21st when his Str auto-bumps to 15, and a Demon-spewing dwarf in heavy metal armor just looks cool. :)

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Zaruthustran said:
The combo is:
Standard action Blood Pulse + Free Action Bolstering Blood + Minor-action Second Wind for Burning Blood + action point for standard action Howl of Doom (sliding all creatures in close blast 3 a total number of squares = 1 + Int) + Blood Action (triggered by spending action point).

Assuming 22 Con and 20 Int at 16th level, that’s:

• Blood Pulse for 2d6 + 5 (area burst 3)
  • Free action Bolstering Blood to add 2d10 to the damage roll for Blood Pulse
  • Burning Blood for 6 + 5 + Ongoing 5 fire (all enemies within 10 squares; the +5 and ongoing 5 fire only apply to those hit by Blood Pulse)
  • Howl of Doom for 2d6 + 6 thunder, slide 6 squares for 6d6 from Blood Pulse (close blast 3)
  • Add Ongoing 10 to Howl of Doom from Blood Action
A few points:
1. Does burning blood just automatically happen when you second wind? Or is it an action that you do instead of second wind?

2. I was under the impression that involuntary movement generally doesn't trigger "on movement" effects

Mort_Q

First Post
Interesting... I wonder how hard it would be to pull off in actual combat... getting the NPCs moved into position.. held action likely... need to trade off loss of movement damage for more victims in tight spots, or less victims in an larger area...

Otterscrubber

First Post
As soon as I saw that Con was a prime ability for Infernal warlocks I have been waiting to see the posts for the inevitable armies of dwarven arcane casters that will no doubt be flooding the genre. I think this decision on the part of WotC was a step in the wrong direction as far as flavor goes, but that is just my opinion.

Anyhoo, ya, only flaw I can tell is that you don't take damage from being forced to move, only movement made by the affected character during their move on their turn. I can't quote a page number for this though...

For the record, not a fan of the Dwarlock.

Remove ads