(IRR) Rokugan Industrial Revolution (Player Poll)

What Elements Should the IR Take On?

• No Technology.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Technology, but it must be developed.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Gnomish Industrial Revolution.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Magical Revolution.

Votes: 2 13.3%

Creamsteak

Explorer
Rokugan Industrial Revolution (Player Poll)

1) No Technology (means that you cannot develop technology at all and it is not part of the game in any way. Basically that turns this game into a clan war).

2) Technology, but it must be developed. (You can develop technology, but nobody starts with it. Basically going for the medium).

3) Gnomish Industrial Revolution. (The standards set by the last IR).

4) Magical Revolution. (In the last IR, players developed higher level magics that basically overpowered technology).

Creamsteak

Explorer
My personal opinion is this:

Technology should be developed, not necessarily started with. I voted for option two. It's up to you guys, but I'm casting my one vote.

Under my vote, you would all start with no tech score, but if you chose to raise the technology of your faction: you would develop guns eventually, and later cannons. The aspect of higher end technology would be entire centuries away.

Creamsteak

Explorer
No Technology:

Basically this translates to one thing: There is no way to develop technology beyond what is given. This option kind of puts a choke-hold on creativity for players. That's one reason why I am against it. If you like this option, then vote for it and add a little post explaining your Logic.

Gnomish Industrial Revolution: The standards set by the last IR encompass both Magic and technology as the standards of the game. The end of the game is basically wrapped up by whoever has the most magic, but the early game is written more strategically.

Magical Revolution: This option doesn't make much sense in Rokugan, because almost all magic is divine. Only societies with advanced arcane orders (like mystara) really should play under this category. Of course this is my opinion, not everyone's.

TheWiseWarlord

First Post
I'd prefer option number three, simply because it allows the most creativity for players. As long as the DM keeps the ideas within sane limits (a limit I think was oft times crossed in the original IR), it should be the most fun way to develop the campaign.

TheWiseWarlord

First Post
By the way Creamsteak, I'd like to petition you on an issue that troubles me, and troubled me even when I claimed the Mantis Clan. I do not think the Mantis Clan should be so powerful and so far ahead of the other Clans in technology. It gives one faction a decided overpowering edge in the game, and that's never fun for the other players.

If you really think the Mantis should have bonus technology, at least limit it more than you have. Balance, in my opinion, is key to a strategy games success, and the players enjoyment.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I could see taking the Mantis Clan down to the levels of all other clans in power as fine. It would make the IR the same, but get rid of the whole technomancy concept. If that is what players want, I can edit the Mantis Clan, and everyone starts with 0 in Tech score, but they all can develop it normally.

Now, when you say you want to run it by the standards set by the Old IR, are you including the concept of magic? I got a strong vibe last time I asked, that people don't want magic to play a big roll in this IR.

TheWiseWarlord

First Post
I basically meant I want the option to do things like design Laser Katanas, mechanized Dragons, stuff like that. Two things I don't want that were in the IR are the high powered magic AND the insanely high powered technology. In other words, I'd prefer it if Nukes, Plasma, etc. be kept out of the game.

I just want the ability to design technology that is advanced and powerful, but not world destroyingly so.

I want to see technology have its place, but as some of the others have said, not to let it advance too far into the future with laser beams, etc..., gunpowder, crude bombs, and some siege/machinery equipment would be fine, but I don't think it should advance too much.

Lichtenhart

First Post
mmmm, I haven't made up my mind yet. Let's see.
I think the ban on trading with the gaijin was imposed because most people thought it would contaminate the Empire. And I nearly agree with them (even if I'm a unicorn at the heart and I'd probably trade the same. ;)). Technology is fun, but it isn't the only element of fun in this IR. Politics are another, honor another one. I wouldn't like if the technology issues ate all the rest. About magic, I wouldn't mind. To say it with te immortal words of Chagatai "Rokugan? A land where spirits walk as mortals? A land where an arrogant young girl and a brash boy can become the Moon and Sun?" :)

OK, I think the most important thing is the flavor. If we are smart enough we won't lose it. Maybe it would work if we set the development at a slower rate than the other IR.

[Sorry, but I just got out of the bed and my brain is working slooooowly :eek:]

Creamsteak

Explorer
Allright... let me get out my mathbook and look up a more powerful diminishing returns ratio...

five minutes later...

Ok, what about this:

Technology advances in years. There will be eight technology schools. This is my original rule below (I changed it before I got back from Minnesota). We can use this rule, or we can use the rule I'll post in the next post.

Rule #4: The Technological Arms Race

Technology is just as important as Magic in the Rokugan IR. You must understand that in order to understand just how an Anti-Matter Strike would be just as decimating as a 12th Level Magic Assault. Developing Technology can improve your overall power in the IR and is second only to the Industrialization Rating (IR) in importance.

Each power selects a School to research each turn. There are eight starting schools. These are Construction, Chemistry, Computers, Physics, Power, Sociology, Biology, and Fields. These schools raise your ratings in each sub-race.

The Technological Arms Race is divided into these sub-races: Agriculture, Attack, Defense, Espionage, Industry, and Research. You can develop a new school of research (ecology, quantum physics, etc.) that has different Technology subraces. Doing this takes a full turn, and the modifiers cannot exceed an 8. Negative modifiers can be applied, but no more than –2. No one score can go up by more than 4 in one turn.

Technology Subraces Agr. Att. Def. Esp. Ind. Res.
Construction 0 0 4 0 4 0
Chemistry 2 2 2 0 2 0
Computers 0 0 0 4 0 4
Physics 1 4 1 1 1 0
Power 0 4 0 0 4 0
Sociology 2 0 0 4 0 2
Biology 4 2 2 0 0 0
Fields 0 2 4 2 0 0

As your power advances, you will gain certain advantages in each core group. The first noticeable advancement does not occur until your score reaches at least 5.

Agriculture – (Affects do not stack)
5 – Every Territory under your control produces 4x its industrial rating in food.
15 – Every Territory under your control produces 5x its industrial rating in food.
30 – Every Territory under your control produces 6x its industrial rating in food.
50 – Every Territory under your control produces 7x its industrial rating in food.
75 – Every Territory under your control produces 8x its industrial rating in food.
105 – Every Territory under your control produces 9x its industrial rating in food.
140 – Every Territory under your control produces 10x its industrial rating in food.

Attack – (Affects do not stack)
5 – Your Attack score becomes +1 (see rule #4)
15 – Your Attack score becomes +2
30 – Your Attack score becomes +3
50 – Your Attack score becomes +4 and Nuclear weapons become available.
75 – Your Attack score becomes +5
105 – Your Attack score becomes +6
140 – Your Attack score becomes +7 and thermonuclear weapons become available.
180 – Your Attack score becomes +8
225 – Your Attack score becomes +9
275 – Your Attack score becomes +10 and anti-matter weapons become available.

Defense – (Affects do not stack)
5 – Your Defense score becomes +1 (see rule #4)
15 – Your Defense score becomes +2
30 – Your Defense score becomes +3
50 – Your Defense score becomes +4
75 – Your Defense score becomes +5
105 – Your Defense score becomes +6
140 – Your Defense score becomes +7
180 – Your Defense score becomes +8
225 – Your Defense score becomes +9
275 – Your Defense score becomes +10

Espionage – (Affects DO stack)
5 – You gain a 5% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 5% defense against such actions.
15 – You gain a 10% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 10% defense against such actions.
30 – You gain a 15% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 15% defense against such actions.
50 – You gain a 20% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 20% defense against such actions.
75 – You gain a 25% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 25% defense against such actions.
105 – You gain a 30% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 30% defense against such actions.

Industry – (Affects do not stack)
5 – Every Territory under your control gains an additional +1 PL per turn.
15 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +3 PL per turn.
30 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +6 PL per turn.
50 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +10 PL per turn.
75 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +15 PL per turn.
105 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +21 PL per turn.
140 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +28 PL per turn.
180 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +36 PL per turn.
225 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +45 PL per turn.

Research – (Affects do stack)
5 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop the first computers.
15 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop the calculator. Bomb safety devices designed.
30 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop the Internet. Computer guided weapons are designed.
50 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop nano-computers. Gain +1 PL per turn.
75 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop Artificial Intelligence. Constructs self replicate.
105 – All research sub races become 4 per turn base. Your Attack/Defense scores both gain +2.
140 – All research sub-races become 6 per turn base.
180 – All research sub-races become 8 per turn base. Your Attack/Defense scores both gain +2.
225 – All research sub races become 10 per turn base.

Remove ads