(IRR) Rokugan Industrial Revolution (Player Poll)

What Elements Should the IR Take On?

• No Technology.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Technology, but it must be developed.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Gnomish Industrial Revolution.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Magical Revolution.

Votes: 2 13.3%

Serpenteye

First Post
creamsteak said:
Erg... see I pretty much know what I'm talking about when I think about it, but I have trouble explaining.

IR can be explained like this:

Every Territory (clans, provinces, land masses, cities, anything on the List with both a PL and an IR rating) gains a certain amount of PL at the end of the turn.

You gain 1 PL in every territory that you have an IR rank of 1.

2 PL in every territory with a rank of 3 (1+2)

3 PL in every territory with a rank of 6 (1+2+3)

4 PL in every territory with a rank of 10 (1+2+3+4)

And so on.

That determines how fast you generate power.

However, if you want to raise an areas IR, you must put PL into development of that territory. If you put 5 PL into development of a village (IR 1) it's IR will raise to 2. If you put 10 PL into development of a village (IR 1) it's IR will raise to 3, and you will gain one additional point of PL at the beginning of the next turn.

You can develop one territory heavily, or spread out your industrialization.

And if players take your cities, they can choose to burn it down to IR 0. You can also burn down your own cities during a retreat, and I will roll to see if you are successful.

Does that help?

Yes... I remember reading something like that a while ago. It makes sure that the PL-growth won't be as extreme as in the Greyhawk IR and that it won't be as dependant upon the size of a factions land mass. Since the PL-growth is slowed the rate of research will also be lower. I like it.

Crap there goes the advantage :p

But if we start limiting it so much like this I think we should just leave it all out.

We can have IR rating and advance our civilisation but leave out the heavy weapons department since it would just make it sooo complicated and would force everyone to take part in it instead of nice battles with honor and glory and such which do play a large role in this setting I picked up today.

So I'd say go for advancing civilisation and industrialisation which would result in faster PL growth and some nice defensive benefits and agriculture and resistance against plagues and Taint and such. The passive stuff if you get my drift.

But if we are gonna start on nukes and tanks and the whole stuff I know where we are going :rolleyes: Seen it been there done that heh, and who neds tech when you can whipe out whole spheres in an instant ?:D (IR inside info heh)

So I'd vote for being able to advance the passive stuff but not let it influence combat to much, some dynamite and explosives are offcourse in Oriental stuff there. But guns... maybe even leave that out. Would create a interesting battlefield stuff thingy with honor, heroic deeds and all the glory those ancient battles brought with them.

I'm for the honor and Glory part OR for the IR like in Edenas IR's. I think the middle ways lose to much of the flavor OR make it to complicated.

Knight Otu

First Post
I voted for technology, but must be developed. I think that it is the best fit for Rokugan while still having an IR.

On a side note I would like to see a few rules for magic. ;)

Believe me, before you are asking for rules on magic, go read through the 3rd IR and the rules for magic there.

Once you have seen what Vecna, Kalanyr and I did with magic, you'll run away screaming and regretting you ever put it up :D

We experienced it and really you do not want to grant us the chance to use that power. We are all too creative munchkin megalomaniacs, and we are good at it :D

And the worst part is that we are proud of it as well :p Heh but damn did we have fun with some crazy stunts heh.

**Mountains, the mother of all weapon proficiencies**

LOOOOOLLLL

Knight Otu

First Post
Believe me, before you are asking for rules on magic, go read through the 3rd IR and the rules for magic there.
I have. ;)

Once you have seen what Vecna, Kalanyr and I did with magic, you'll run away screaming and regretting you ever put it up
Catastrophe on the City of Gods, anyone? :D
I didn't ask for such a power level, though. :)

**Mountains, the mother of all weapon proficiencies**
Yes, that one did make quite an ... impression. ;)

Well the city of the gods wasn't impressive.

Vecna (edena) made a new grand canyon beneath the armies of the oerth alliance and swollowed it all up. Bubye and a safe trip to the centre of the plane. And that resulted in the Red Goo creation. So that was kinda... bad :D

Kalanyr threw the largest Holy Water Flood over a whole peninsula and cracked the earth there for thousands of miles and connected 2 continents and made a lava lake the size of Texas while at it. In 1 catastrophe. And the gorgeous and sexy permanently invisible flying city and so on. In just 1 month :D

And I.. euhh .. I created a artifact with which I altered reality in a sphere rather.. drastically.. and I did that 3 times, and it created the Domain of hope with a 12th level magic powerboost. ANd I held Oerth and Toril Hostage with it haha.

So just let's not go there =]

And I dropped laughing from my chair and shed tears of laughter when I read "You missed" with that mountain. And with it that guy just crushed his entire defense and half his army.
Talking about how something can backfire huh?:D

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
I put 20 plus hours into trying to get the DM to let me have my Mana Fortress, with it's 1 billion PL or whatever, and it's ability to basically fight back against the Taraakian Armada as a "free" action.

Well, I had it... ten years after the IR ended. Now it's just a giant frickin floating Plant/God with some ideas all of it's own... Man I would have killed... to get it so I could kill Tokiwong for beating me. I was so proud that I hadn't ever really lost a battle till he gooed me up. I did trade away one of my territories to serpenteyes, and I abandoned the Grandwoods on Turn 1...

My fortress woulda showed em'

I inadvertantly fulfilled Creamsteak's promise to Melkor by forming the red puddings and destroyed countless crystal spheres in a few days, but then again, at that time the 3rd IR really needed a villain, so I chose to play evil. I really liked the idea I had about flooding the spheres with red pudding so that everyone would drown in it though...

Edit-All this destruction and chaos and not even a divine spark...well, I guess killing everyone doesn't leave much room for worshippers.

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
Worshippers aren't such a big deal anyway, the God Emperor has hundreds of billions and is still officially no more than a demigod. The power to shape reality to your whim in five spheres, extinguishing suns and disabling magic, that's godlike. ;)

Remove ads