D&D 2E Is 5e Basically Becoming Pathfinder 2e?

Not so sure about that..."ownership" of words does tend to change over time as both language and society* evolve; though to go much further with this would quickly take me way outside the allowable forum guidelines.
Worldwide population of Wiccans (estimated): 800,000
Worldwide box office take of Oz the Great and Powerful: $490,359,051

Yes, words evolve over time. No, this particular word "witch" has not lost its historic meaning in contemporary English.

* - and trademarks. For example, wasn't one of the older-edition level titles for the D&D Ranger once Pathfinder?
Wizards can publish a class or ability called "pathfinder" any time they like. It is a generic English word. Just like how other games can and do use the word "wizard".

Last edited:

RobertBrus

Explorer
Right, "free-thinking creative types" prefer the one and only mass-market RPG, designed to appeal to the maximum number of people in the RPG market. There's nothing fundamentally different in D&D 5 from Pathfinder mechanic wise. Compare "Primetime Adventures"; there's no fancy rolls or calculations to see if you can jump to the ship, you just do if you say you do and nobody disagrees.

I prefer Pathfinder because of the APs, because everything is online, because there's more options of races and other stuff. And the fact that's I've already spent a lot of time and money buying and becoming familiar with the material. Nothing to do with creativity.

Own up to your statements; don't try and evade the consequences of expressing your opinion. This is much annoying than if you'd just left those sentences out.

I always own up to what I write, not only the content but the context. Tongue in cheek means exactly what I intended. If one can't laugh at the world, and themselves, what is the point of anything, since life is one giant ball of absurdity in which each of us is the butt of the joke. While it is sometimes true that placing a lump of coal up ones backside, and then squeezing tightly down upon it will, in time, produce a diamond, I still think it misses the point entirely about being alive. Besides, if a diamond were to appear, the person would have to contend with the DeBeers, and that would negate any of the benefits derived from the diamond. I suppose I should place one of those emojis, are whatever the hell they are called, to indicate lighthearted sarcasm. But I don't use emojis, so I won't.

But on to the meat and potatoes of the thing.

Paizo is a corporation. It mass markets many products. While they don't have the economic power that WOTC has, primarily because of Hasbro, Paizo is doing what you claim is only being done by WOTC. And right they should, as they have the right to promote their business.

Nothing fundamentally different? Apparently you and I are reading different versions of the above said rules.

I play Pathfinder. It is a well thought out set of rules. I respect Paizo and appreciate its commitment to the RPG gaming world. Often I quite enjoy playing Pathfinder. I don't see why any one set is mutually exclusive. I also play 5E. I prefer it, but that is a subjective opinion, not an objective statement.

And for the record, for those who either can't or won't accept lighthearted sarcasm for what it is, I state for the record: Creative, free-thinking people can be found in Pathfinder games. Just as dullards can be found in C&C. However, I would still like to see my hypothesis properly tested. Perhaps there lurks a budding PHD looking for a thesis. If so, let me know your findings.

EugeneFurtado

First Post
I think 5e was meant to be a way to move past the cookie cutter classes of previous editions, but still stay to a simpler mechanic to allow new people to play. I play Pathfinder, and it can get complicated once you move past the base classes into more unique class choices including the hybrid classes. I don't have a lot of experience with 5e as of yet, but it is the choice to go to for my friends that want to get into tabletop RPG's, and I think it's great and once they do start it up, I'm all for joining them. I've been playing RPG's (tabletop and video game) for over 20 years. So, I like the fact that it isn't becoming Pathfinder 2e, it's its own thing.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think 5e was meant to be a way to move past the cookie cutter classes of previous editions
Not really, 5e is prettymuch the Ghost of D&Ds Past ('tis the season for holiday puns). The classes in 5e are evocative of classes in the classic game - character-defining, mechanically differentiated, etc...

'cookie cutter' is not exactly unfair, but neither is it the whole picture. The classes aren't building block to the degree they were in 3.x; nor are they as re-skinnable and balanced as in 4e. They're what classes have more often been: a complete career path that defines your character. Sub-classes & backgrounds provide focus and color, like kits in 2e.

, but still stay to a simpler mechanic to allow new people to play. I play Pathfinder, and it can get complicated once you move past the base classes into more unique class choices including the hybrid classes. I don't have a lot of experience with 5e as of yet, but it is the choice to go to for my friends that want to get into tabletop RPG's, and I think it's great and once they do start it up, I'm all for joining them. I've been playing RPG's (tabletop and video game) for over 20 years. So, I like the fact that it isn't becoming Pathfinder 2e, it's its own thing.[/QUOTE]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases