D&D 5E Is 5e Heroic, or SUPER-heroic?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
While I agree with the rest, a 20th level Wizard has 1 slot of levels 9 and 8 and multiples of each other level (plus arcane recovery) and (presuming the use of magic items) likely a lot more firepower from a staff or scrolls.

He also has a clone. In a demi-plane. And a simulacrum. And Wish.

Your martials should be just as effective, in other ways (plus items).
Hey but maybe I can hit something 1 more time.

Hey but maybe I can hit something 1 more time.

Not quite. In any campaign with Magic Items, high level martials are capable of a lot more tricks than just hitting things more. The Casters can certainly pull out more impressive tricks, but they're limited with slots (I cleave pretty closely to the longer adventuring day, so Nova tactics are generally not a thing in my games).

I found the classes quite balanced all through 20 levels. The Swashbuckler/ Fighter was a consistent source of around 75 damage per round (double that on a crit) and could take an absolute pounding with Uncanny Dodge, decent hit dice and a Con of 20 (plus 2 epic boons of health and invulnerability).

The casters could pull out some neat tricks, but the Fighter/ Swashbuckler was the reliable beatstick (who never failed a Skill check with a DC of less than 25-27, ever thanks to reliable talent and expertise).

It's pretty cool to ask for a near impossible Skill check (DC 25), have all the PCs needing a 17+ on the D20 to succeed, and just have the Swashbuckler say 'I made it' without even needing to roll.

I get it. But, DM'ing a game where one player is trying to go one way, other players another way, and the DM corralling them through force has never appealed to me. I like tables best when everyone is after the same goal - a good story.

Im not talking about force; it just seems like you have a trouble player. Part of the DMs job is to teach the game (and that includes showing players how to not be bad players).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
(I cleave pretty closely to the longer adventuring day, so Nova tactics are generally not a thing in my games).
Which makes you atypical in the broader D&D land. Also for me what is given by skill checks are just too undefined and anecdotally seems for 5e DMs (aside from a few who cut their teeth on 4e) to be based on what somebodies next door neighbor might do. Ie the propaganda saying that without magic adventuring will be 10 x more difficult took and will hold for a long time.

Also note that many groups (and DMs) tend to conflate 'Adventuring day' with 'Game session'.

They're not even remotely the same thing.

Whenever you see 'We only run 3 hour sessions so dont have enough time for more than 1 or 2 encounters..' responses, you know those guys are in this camp of getting those two things confused.

Remove ads