• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is 5e Heroic, or SUPER-heroic?

TheSword

Legend
Copies of superhero powers are a VERY common comic trope, especially when it comes to Nemises. And minions with lower level versions of the same powers are also common. I don't think there are any superheroes who have never had their powers duplicated at some point.

As for the Supersoldier serum, that goes all the way back to one of the earliest superheroes in 1940. It's not just "one particular version".
I echo @Oofta when I say, you think James Bond is a superhero. You think the superhero serum is the same as the trial of the grasses. There are similarities. It doesn’t make Geralt a superhero, and more than it makes James Bond one.

I’ll say again, superhero is a genre not a character type. If it isnt the superhero genre then the characters aren’t superheroes no matter what similarities you may draw. If you play 5e to recreate that genre of games that ace... I’m glad 5e is flexible enough to do this. Good luck to you.

TheSword

Legend
Isn't their a thing called tiers of play.

Level 5 is Tier 2 which is Heroic.
Level 11 is Tier 3 which is Superheroic
I can play a 12th level fighter, ranger, or even wizard that wouldn’t look much like a typical superhero. Superhero is about the type of game you’re playing and the setting not what the character can or can’t do.

Otherwise the tier 1 wizard with spider climb and web would be a superhero.

You think the superhero serum is the same as the trial of the grasses.
I think Sapkowski lifted it directly.
superhero is a genre not a character type.
Superhero is not one genre. Batman Begins has more in common with The Bourne Identity than Guardians of the Galaxy, which has more in common with Star Wars.

Conan was kept alive by Marvel Comics in the 1970s, and crossed over with other Marvel heroes.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I can play a 12th level fighter, ranger, or even wizard that wouldn’t look much like a typical superhero. Superhero is about the type of game you’re playing and the setting not what the character can or can’t do.

Otherwise the tier 1 wizard with spider climb and web would be a superhero.

I was more talking about stakes that raw powers.

The DMG says your PC doesn't start adventuring until level 5. Before that you stay in or around towns and cities and rarely leave roads.

Local Heroes 1-4
Heroes of the Realm 5-10
Masters of the Realm 11-16
Masters of the World 17-20

Robin who sticks around Batman in Gotham is barely a hero. The gangster and villains barely respect him.
He's a hero when he joins the Teen Titans or does the name change (depending on the Robin) and a superhero when he is called up to the JL.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Superheroes are scripted, with the powers and vulnerabilities they need at the moment as the protagonists of the story.

D&D characters have a set of defined abilities within a game.

TheSword

Legend
I think Sapkowski lifted it directly.

Superhero is not one genre. Batman Begins has more in common with The Bourne Identity than Guardians of the Galaxy, which has more in common with Star Wars.

Conan was kept alive by Marvel Comics in the 1970s, and crossed over with other Marvel heroes.
There maybe several sub genres of superhero story/comic/film however nonetheless they are a separate genre.

Sapkowski is a great fan of pinching ideas. I’m a big fan of the process myself. It doesn’t mean a fantasy story inspired by something taken from a superhero genre becomes superhero genre.

So do superheroes. They just keep coming back from death - just like Geralt. Geralt's powers are far beyond anything possessed by Batman or Black Widow.

Lets rephrase what you said - "It took six warriors to knock him unconscious!" Six to one is well beyond a normal human.
I did not say he was normal. He is the greatest witcher of all time. The greatest. Like Superman. Batman and Black Widow routinely fight off dozens of people with guns!

Remove ads