D&D (2024) Is 5th edition too big for there to be a 6th edition?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Pathfinder is not gritty; it's very much high fantasy.
Yeah, I've never played Pathfinder (1 or 2), but from browsing the books it doesn't seem really gritty to me. I would like to see 5E a bit more grittier and some of our house-rules reflect that.

Reynard

Legend
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Don't you know D&D 5e is vaporware?

To be fair, the "modular D&D" version of 5E was in fact vaporware. We did not get that. The game we got was probably better than that would have been, but even so.

One problem with the thesis of the OP is that it presumes this current boom isn't a fluke. I don't think we can presume that. It's based on a lot of things that are very "right now."That suggests a pretty good likelihood of bust in the relatively near future as the drivers of the boom switch gears.Sure, there are a lot of GenXers who have returned to the game (some of us never left) but all those GenZ kids are just as likely to find a different hobby, or realize just how narrow D&D is in the context of the broader roleplaying hobby.

I think we are on the back side of the zeitgeist, personally.

darjr

I crit!
Well two things happened to the early ideas of 5e. playtesting and enough humility to follow that testings conclusions. If it meant darlings had to die, they did.

If the movie is a big seller and if things in the movie are different from in the game (and since this is a Hasbro movie, that's pretty likely), then they will phantom introduce 6e that is more like the movie.

Remove ads