• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is a map like this useful?

Finster

First Post
This is mt first thread, so please excuse me if this gets messed up.

I have sketched a map for my homebrew setting of a mountainous region. The map is hand drawn (I don't have access to terrain generation software) in pencil and scanned from my sketch book.

My question is this:

Do you think that a map like this can be used in playing a game, or do you think that it is neccessary to have a scaled-out topographical (view from above) map? Would something like this make a good hand-out for my players?

I would like to draw my entire setting out like this, region by region, but I don't want to waste a lot of time on it, if it will just get thrown in a folder and never used.

Attachments

• Skalt Sketch.jpg
    Skalt Sketch.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 304

Odhanan

Adventurer
That's awesome, man! Perfectly usable and very flavorful, if you ask me! I'd love to play in a homebrew with maps like this! Go for it! :)

Finster

First Post
Odhanan,

Thanks for the compliment.

I have just looked over your Seven Spires maps in the other thread (very cool). I am concerned that my maps will not have much utility in scaling overland movement or determining distances, unlike your maps in the other thread that contain information on things such as scale and remain consistent from top to bottom.

Do you think that maps drawn in "perspective" like this will be useable? Do you think that they are more useful as illustrations than maps?

right click
Save As

Oh what? There was a question? :D

Maps are good. More maps are more good. PCs will not usually appreciate the time and attention to detail that you've put in, but they will like them and use them. A map grounds your game setting. I have in the past five or so years when I render maps done it more in your style than the traditional "hex + symbol" method prevalent when I started DMing. They look more like medieval maps, and I love the way it gives texture to a place.

Your map is nicely done. I like it a lot.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
That looks cool. I cannot imagine the amount of time it would take to do an entire world like that, but I would find it fun to do.

I think the topographical map, though maybe a little easier to determine distances, is done because it's more simple. People can draw several circles within each other to show a rising tower of land, but not as many people could actually draw that tower and make it look good.

Definitely would like to see more. :)

Odhanan

Adventurer
I have just looked over your Seven Spires maps in the other thread (very cool).
Thanks! :)

I am concerned that my maps will not have much utility in scaling overland movement or determining distances, unlike your maps in the other thread that contain information on things such as scale and remain consistent from top to bottom.

Do you think that maps drawn in "perspective" like this will be useable? Do you think that they are more useful as illustrations than maps?

Not necessarilly. As a matter of fact, I think maps drawn in perspective to be just as usable as 2D maps, if not for exactly the same things. They have some drawbacks the artist should be aware of (some locations that would be directly north to a mountain range could end up "hidden" by the perspective, for instance. Calculating distances, particularly on a north-south axis, could become tricky. That kind of thing.), but they can be extremely useful in giving a sort of "feel" of the panoramas the PCs are looking at when they stand in this or that location. These maps then acts as both illustrations and actual maps, and they can be very atmospheric in so doing. The map you just showed us fits perfectly this bill, in my opinion.

Of course, the top of the top would be to have both versions of a map. Perspective for the feel and great visual inspiration it provides, and 2D for easier calculation of distances.

If you think your campaign will involve a lot of land movement where actual distances precise beyond "a day's journey" or "a week's hike" will be important, then go for the 2D. If however the feel of the map and the immersion of the PCs in the game is more important, go with the perspective maps first. :)

Last edited:

adwyn

Community Supporter
As a player I'd rather receive a map like that than any other. If you're worried about scale do a 2nd DM only map that is more basic and conventional, but do keep using tis style for the players' maps.

Finster

First Post
Odhanan said:
Thanks! :)

Of course, the top of the top would be to have both versions of a map. Perspective for the feel and great visual inspiration it provides, and 2D for easier calculation of distances.

If you think your campaign will involve a lot of land movement where actual distances precise beyond "a day's journey" or "a week's hike" will be important, then go for the 2D. If however the feel of the map and the immersion of the PCs in the game is more important, go with the perspective maps first. :)

That is a great idea. I think I will work out a detailed topographical map first that shows elevations and other important (or just plain strange) features. Then I will work out some more of these "perspective" maps using the topos as guides.

This may end up being more involved than I thought, but I think the results will be worth it. It is very important that I am able to convey the feel of my setting.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
adwyn said:
As a player I'd rather receive a map like that than any other. If you're worried about scale do a 2nd DM only map that is more basic and conventional, but do keep using tis style for the players' maps.

That's the ticket right there:)

I never have a scale on player maps, and when they ask "what's the scale" the answer is "Medieval"

I like that map a lot, it gives them an idea of what they'll find if they go in a certain direction, that's about as much "map" as any player of mine is likley to get.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Finster said:
This is mt first thread, so please excuse me if this gets messed up.

I have sketched a map for my homebrew setting of a mountainous region. The map is hand drawn (I don't have access to terrain generation software)

Well, as long as you have access to a reasonably fast internet connection, you can take a look at my software recommendations in this thread. I've used Open Source software for my maps, and fared well with them...

Remove ads