Is an Assassin's death attack a death effect?

Werdnam

First Post
From what I read of death attacks in the SRD, it appears that the Assassin's death attack should be considered a "death effect" for purposes of raising. I.e., someone killed by an assassin's death attack can't be raised from the dead.

Is this interpretation correct?

I hadn't thought of this before, and it's a bit disconcerting. I already don't care for using assassins against my PCs (having death hinge on one roll is no fun), and this, I fear, puts their death attack beyond my DM comfort level. :(

Nareau

Explorer
Actually, it's at least 2 rolls...

He has to make an attack roll. And they get a Fort save.
This is assuming the assassin doesn't have to make move silently/hide checks (being opposed by listen/spot checks).

I don't much like using assassins against PC's either. But they can make for good NPC enemies. Once he kills a single PC (and runs away), I guarantee you the rest of the party will be eager to hunt him down.

Little_Buddha

First Post
<lol> You can use assassins without using Assassins, though! If you are going to introduce an Assassin, it's probably best to use him/her against an NPC affiliated with the PCs, though - that "oops, you've been killed in a single round due to one failed save" element is a little disheartening. That said, using them effectively can be very difficult: the Assassin should (if played well) never open him- or her- self up to attacks from the PCs, nor have a lair, nor use the same persona (and, with change self, the same face) twice. But if the elite Assassins are played really well, the PCs hunt for them becomes a series of Fort saves versus death :)

For recurring villains, I prefer other classes - I find the capital 'A' Assassin is too problematic for me to use against PCs.

Victim

First Post
I think the assassin death attack is more effective as a non "death" effect. Otherwise, Deathward on armor (MaoF) or a contingency ruins the assassin.

Little_Buddha

First Post
Victim said:
I think the assassin death attack is more effective as a non "death" effect. Otherwise, Deathward on armor (MaoF) or a contingency ruins the assassin.

??? I definitely wouldn't say that made an Assassin MORE effective! Do you want us to start listing the spells that defeat a non "death" effect? How about Resurrection, Reincarnation, Raise Dead, True Resurrection or True Reincarnation

Compare that list of spells to spells that spoil "death" attacks:

Deathward.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Little_Buddha said:
Compare that list of spells to spells that spoil "death" attacks:

Deathward.

Resurrection and True Resurrection (and possibly Reincarnation and True Reincarnation) also defeat death effects.

Little_Buddha

First Post
<shrugs> Same difference. The fact that a death attack is also a Death effect makes it MORE powerful, not less.

True Reincarnation would also defeat a Death effect, now that I think about it.

Remove ads