• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is an Assassin's death attack a death effect?

Werdnam

First Post
From what I read of death attacks in the SRD, it appears that the Assassin's death attack should be considered a "death effect" for purposes of raising. I.e., someone killed by an assassin's death attack can't be raised from the dead.

Is this interpretation correct?

I hadn't thought of this before, and it's a bit disconcerting. I already don't care for using assassins against my PCs (having death hinge on one roll is no fun), and this, I fear, puts their death attack beyond my DM comfort level. :(

Nareau

Explorer
Actually, it's at least 2 rolls...

He has to make an attack roll. And they get a Fort save.
This is assuming the assassin doesn't have to make move silently/hide checks (being opposed by listen/spot checks).

I don't much like using assassins against PC's either. But they can make for good NPC enemies. Once he kills a single PC (and runs away), I guarantee you the rest of the party will be eager to hunt him down.

Little_Buddha

First Post
<lol> You can use assassins without using Assassins, though! If you are going to introduce an Assassin, it's probably best to use him/her against an NPC affiliated with the PCs, though - that "oops, you've been killed in a single round due to one failed save" element is a little disheartening. That said, using them effectively can be very difficult: the Assassin should (if played well) never open him- or her- self up to attacks from the PCs, nor have a lair, nor use the same persona (and, with change self, the same face) twice. But if the elite Assassins are played really well, the PCs hunt for them becomes a series of Fort saves versus death :)

For recurring villains, I prefer other classes - I find the capital 'A' Assassin is too problematic for me to use against PCs.

Victim

First Post
I think the assassin death attack is more effective as a non "death" effect. Otherwise, Deathward on armor (MaoF) or a contingency ruins the assassin.

Little_Buddha

First Post
Victim said:
I think the assassin death attack is more effective as a non "death" effect. Otherwise, Deathward on armor (MaoF) or a contingency ruins the assassin.

??? I definitely wouldn't say that made an Assassin MORE effective! Do you want us to start listing the spells that defeat a non "death" effect? How about Resurrection, Reincarnation, Raise Dead, True Resurrection or True Reincarnation

Compare that list of spells to spells that spoil "death" attacks:

Deathward.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Little_Buddha said:
Compare that list of spells to spells that spoil "death" attacks:

Deathward.

Resurrection and True Resurrection (and possibly Reincarnation and True Reincarnation) also defeat death effects.

Little_Buddha

First Post
<shrugs> Same difference. The fact that a death attack is also a Death effect makes it MORE powerful, not less.

True Reincarnation would also defeat a Death effect, now that I think about it.

Remove ads