• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is anyone sticking with 3.5?

I am aware of all the excitement of those who fall into the 4e camp and those who fall into the Pathfinder RPG camp. Let me say up front that I have no problem with those who plan to switch to 4e or those switching to Pathfinder. With all the buzz surrounding 4e and PRPG, I'm wondering if anyone is planning to stick with 3.5 D&D and if so, why?

I'm sticking with 3.5 for a variety of reasons.

1. My group doesn't want to change.
2. Everyone has plenty of money invested in 3.5 books and doesn't feel the need to drop another hundred dollars to buy the core rules for the new edition.
3. We have a 3.5 campaign going with established PCs and converting the campaign to Pathfinder or 4e would be potentially difficult and time-consuming and would change too many of the fundamental ideas of the campaign. I have no desire to retrofit new rules to my entire campaign.
4. We are all leery of the changes being made in 4e and the power level of Pathfinder seems to be too amped up for what our current campaign is accustomed to.
5. My group is content with the 3.5 rules.
6. I have enough 3.5 material (print and pdf) to run games for years.

So, anyone else sticking with 3.5 for the forseeable future?

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I know I see no plans of changing and in fact really don't even see myself buying any of the new books at this time. Only had one player so far state he is switching editions..my only comment to him was good luck.

I have tons of material and can create my own software tools for anything I desire. I am getting to old to be switching editions based on when someone else determines it is time.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Eh... yes/no?

I'm playing in Savage Tide right now and we're about 16th level so another say 12 weeks and that'll be over.

After that I plan to run the original Freeport Trilogy.

After that one of my friends wants to run some Warhammer.

After that I may run some Ptlous.

After that... or maybe somewhere in there, 4e.

I play multiple systems now so I see no reason to stop.

JoeGKushner said:

Absolutely agree. However, our group only meets every other week so our gaming time is more limited. The PCs in my current campaign are all 9th to 11th level and have been brought to those levels over 30 or so sessions and everyone is enjoying what is going on in the game.

As I said, I have no problem with anyone who is switching systems or who might play both or whatever. I was only interested in hearing who was sticking with 3.5 out of curiousity. With all the buzz swirling around 4e and Pathfinder, I'm interested in who is resisting the lure so to speak... :D

JoeGKushner said:

Me too.

I still have some game that I think that a 3.x game will do better than the 4e game. So, for those games, I'll use whatever system I feel is most appropriate.

I am, however, pretty excited about, and looking forward to starting a campaign in 4e.

Later
silver

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I'm sticking with 3e, won't touch 4e with a pole. The design philosophy, the magic system, the changes in power curve, the shift away from even medium simulationism. For me there is no 4e, 3.5 was the last edition of D&D and Pathfinder is it's successor. I'll definitely get pathfinder to support Paizo, and probably incorporate pieces of it into our games. But consider me the Diaglo of 3e.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
i'm still on 3.0 core rules. i spent the better part of a year acquiring damn near every 3.0 or 3.5 publication i could find, from any source. the library is full enough to play D&D 3.0 for not only this lifetime, but maybe also the next three lifetimes. why upgrade to a system that so radically changes the game i play when there is no need?

joe

Graybeard

Explorer
I am planning on sticking with 3.5 as well. I have several hundred dollars invested in books and PDFs and have no desire to go spend another $100 or so on a new edition just yet. Also, my gaming group is currently playing 4 different campaigns that we switch between. It would be a lot of work to update all those PCs, NPCs, etc.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Toric_Arthendain said:
With all the buzz surrounding 4e and PRPG, I'm wondering if anyone is planning to stick with 3.5 D&D and if so, why?
Yes, because I think 3.5 works really very well. There are a few things I would change in 3.5, but both Pathfinder and 4E are making waaaayyyy more changes than I think are needed, and few of them for the better.

*shrug*

I guess I'll be sticking with 3.5 after a fashion. I'm not big on default D&D rules, but overall I find that since I'm perfectly happy with chopping bits out of it, I can hack it down to a manageable level.

4E... I'm sure I'll wind up playing it at some point. It being the new standard and all. On the one hand I'm not overly interested in it, because it looks like it's going to be just as complicated as 3.5 is. On the other hand, I'm not sure I really want to be lumped in with some of the loonies swearing their undying loyalty to 3.5. :)

I certainly won't be buying any of the books before 2009, so if I hook up with some group that insists I own the book(s) in order to play, I just won't be playing.

Pathfinder... I don't see the point to it very much really. Maybe that'll change in the future, but given how everyone's basically wanting 3.5 but still currently published, it doesn't seem like there's much point to it for me. If they were actually doing a "3.75" like I thought they originally were, that'd be a different story. Their stated goal is backwards compatibility though, so I don't see how they're going to be able to maintain it without staying basically the same.

Of course, I play and run non-d20 stuff, so this whole new/old edition thing doesn't really matter that much to me. And I started way back with Basic D&D, so new editions don't seem like anything to get worked up over.

While I did pick up some books here and there for the rules, I've got plenty of books that are still quite useable as idea mines, so I'm not as worried as some about getting mileage out of my exisiting books.

Remove ads