• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D&D "about" combat?

Is D&D "about" combat?

• Yes

Votes: 101 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 109 51.9%

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I think the First Fantasy Campaign is quite illuminating, as far as the origins of D&D go, and how it was originally approached and played. The wargaming aspect is very apparent, but so is the focus on the ongoing campaign, character growth, and even the economic factors (like the aforementioned question of taxes from domains and such -- all of that is present in the First Fantasy Campaign, so it even predates D&D, proper.)

Arneson, in his introduction to First Fantasy Campaign, also draws a contrast between running the Blackmoor campaign and running a "conventional wargame" campaign. Even in the earliest days, the originators definitely saw that this was something different from a conventional wargame.

Indeed. Something more. Of the above aspects, I should point out for those who do not play in wargame "campaigns" that all of the elements you mention (and many others that appear in RPGs) are elements that also appear in wargame campaigns including, for some campaigns, "character growth" of leaders which can become more powerful (gain experience and advance) through leading their troops to victory in battles. We've got a Hordes of the Things campaign going at the FLGS right now with two week turns for the campaign and the individual battles fought using the HotTs tabletop wargaming rules. Your home kingdom and conquered territories account for economic points (taxes) which you use to build more armies, erect fortifications, or purchase victory points. Although many of us exchange emails in the character of our army/nation leaders, that is the one aspect that is not quantified by the rules of this ongoing wargaming campaign. The line between wargaming and RPGing is much thinner, and the two types of tabletop gaming far more similar, than many exclusive RPGers actually understand.

Last edited:

His Dudeness

First Post
It's easier to prepare a fun combat that is to prepare a fun adventure, at least with modern versions of the game.

So they focus on combat because they can reach more people and it takes the DM less work. Get an xp budget, follow the guidelines and you have a nifty and violent scenario to be entertained for a couple of hours.

Compare that to sitting down for hours thinking of puzzles/solutions, adjusting to the verosimilitude of the game world and clever situation, a lot of work that can be bypassed in ten minutes by a group of smart players.

Basically, combat is the easy way out and it has become the norm in the later editions of D&D.

pemerton

Legend
I think you raised Call of Cthulhu earlier in the thread and I think there's a case that the Sanity rules represents another 'stake' outside of life/death. Just that one extra mechanic takes CoC to a whole new place which would disappear if the game was simply a 'setting and flavour' rewrite of BRP.
Agreed. That's why I didn't put CoC in my list with RQ and Stormbringer.

I suspect it's also probably part of why CoC has stood out, for all these years, as contrasting so strongly with mainstream fantasy RPGs.

:the game doesn't actually come prefurnished, and there's no one living there when you arrive, and there's rarely enough guidance for how to set up a home except from your parents or some friend who has already been through that struggle. This is why I think a new rule set could use more focus on RPing in a D&D RPG. I get the feeling that some designers either don't understand this at all or are afraid to put this into the rules because it might not be well received universally.
I agree with this. I think we probably have slightly different preferences as to what one might want to see in that sort of discussion, but even a clear explanation of how to use the rules to play a game that isn't my preferred game would be better than what we currently have - and it might help the designers think more clearly about what sort of play they are trying to support with their rules.

I think Gygax had a reasonable go at this with his advice at the end of his PHB, and his discussion of monsters responding to lair-invasions in his DMG. But these discussions are, in my view, buried in a lot of other stuff whose importance to the game is probably less, but which seems to get the same degree of prominence. Just to give an example off the top of my head - the DMG devotes about as much space to discussing forms of government as it does to discussing how monsters respond to lair invaders, but the game can proceed very well without anyone having given much thought to whether the country is an absolute monarchy or a military-feudal society or even a feudal society with elements of magocracy. Whereas AD&D won't proceed as smoothly if the GM isn't thinking about how to adjudicate the response of a dungeon to being invaded. And in the PHB, there are some oddities as well - for example, there is no explanation of how some of the more thematically laden sub-classes (eg paladin, assassin, and to a lesser extent monk, druid) are to be brought into the sort of "skilled play" that those final pages make it clear the game is meant to be about.

In 4e, I think more effort has been given than Gygax gave to making the priorities of play clear in the rulebooks. But there are probably more gaps than in Gygax's rulebooks. For example, there is no discussion of how paragon paths and epic destinies - gaining them, exploring them, drawing ramifications from them - is meant to fit into the game. And the core rulebooks incorporate only a very small part of the Worlds and Monsters discussion of the thematic rationale for various story elements, and the relationship between theme and mechanics that is discussed in W&M.

I just picked up the Adventure Burner for Burning Wheel yesterday. I haven't read it all yet, but am making my way through bits and pieces of it. As far as a clear commentary on the game mechanics, their rationale, the way the designers expect them to be used both by GMs and players, and the sort of play experience that might be expected to result, the contrast with D&D couldn't be more marked.

It's easier to prepare a fun combat that is to prepare a fun adventure, at least with modern versions of the game.

So they focus on combat because they can reach more people and it takes the DM less work. Get an xp budget, follow the guidelines and you have a nifty and violent scenario to be entertained for a couple of hours.
OK, but at that point we really are talking about playing a tactical skirmish game, aren't we?

What dissapoints me a bit is that the core setting for 4e, plus the monsters and the lore that accompanies them and integrates them into that core setting, actually make it very easy to build a scenario that will not only be exciting but thematically/dramatically/narratively engaging. Worlds and Monsters comes close to providing this sort of guidance. If the material from Worlds and Monsters were combined with the tactical advice in the DMG, and if the monster entries in the MM/MV contained not only ingame flavour but metagame discussion of the Worlds and Monsters variety, then a GM wouldn't have to find it hard to set up a compelling scenario. As with the tactica/XP budget stuff, there would be guidelines to help out. I really don't think it's that hard.

Last edited:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Disclaimer: This is in reply to the OP only, and I've not read the rest of the thread.

For me, D&D is "about combat" because that's where the rules are most focused.

As a counterpoint, I'd say that Mage: The Ascension is not about combat. The rules make it clear that the ability with spheres is the core of the game, and the more detailed character generation system (encouraging background detail, the avatar, connections and friends etc) also points in this direction.

Point is, though - it doesn't matter. I wouldn't use Mage to run a game where I was mostly dungeon-bashing, and I wouldn't use D&D (any edition) to run a game using the concepts and backgrounds of Mage.

My solid opinion is that you should get straight in your head what sort of game you want to play & with what players, and choose an appropriate rule-set. Sometimes it is D&D. Sometimes it isn't. Some players suit D&D. Some don't. Some suit combat-heavy. Some don't. The rules themselves are just a tool to help mechanically reinforce the sort of game you want to play, IMO.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
While it's, of course, not all about combat, if I was forced to diffuse D&D down to one word, I'd be hard pressed to find something more apt.

How about "exploration"?

Especially in earlier versions of D&D, the game was about exploring.

Of course, 3E and 4E have focused in on the combat part of that.

I'd like to see the game get back to its roots. Let's explore a dungeon, not fight our way through it.

Agamon

Adventurer
I'd like to see the game get back to its roots. Let's explore a dungeon, not fight our way through it.

I won't take your use of "dungeon" as literal. In my opinion, dungeons are only in the game as challenges to the players, not something viscerally interesting to look at.

But yeah, if the game was more simple and less structured, as it was in the past, it would be easier GM it on the fly, where an exploration game becomes a lot more interesting, for players and GM.

Agamon

Adventurer

??? Thank you for so succinctly summarizing your opinion. :p

Mine is that a dungeon isn't a realistic thing (at least one the size worth exploring). Big dungeons were introduced to the game as a means of challenging PCs, not objects of natural beauty.

Funny thing is, I was agreeing with you, I'm just not a fan of dungeons.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned

Mine is that a dungeon isn't a realistic thing (at least one the size worth exploring). Big dungeons were introduced to the game as a means of challenging PCs, not objects of natural beauty.

Funny thing is, I was agreeing with you, I'm just not a fan of dungeons.

Yeah, I just don't know how to even argue this. Doesn't make any sense as it has nothing to do with my original post.

Exploration does not equal "looking at objects of natural beauty".

But, seeing a dungeon as a "challenge" instead of a place to be explored, discovered, interacted with, filled with surprise, horror, magic and awe, well, I don't understand that one bit.

And, "maybe you're doing it wrong" isn't probably the answer you're looking for.

Maybe check out Goodman Games or James Raggi's stuff.

Cheers.

Imaro

Legend

Mine is that a dungeon isn't a realistic thing (at least one the size worth exploring).

Dude you should check out Earthdawn... perfectly realistic (as in the setting explains why they exist... and it makes sense), gigantic dungeons. Okay, sidetrack over. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads