• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Dread Necromancer a good choice for an Eldritch Theurge?

rgard

Adventurer
Personally my first Eldritch Theurge will be a Battle Sorcerer/Warlock/ET. I flat out love the BS class and like the synergies (light armor & charisma based casting/invoking) with has with the Warlock class.

That said, the Dread Necromancer/Warlock/ET is a very cool concept. I think it would be challenging to play, but I do think it would be a hoot.

So...go for it. Play the DN/Warlock/ET. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks,
Rich

takasi

First Post
From a Powergaming Perspecitve, the real question you have to pose when deciding to build a Dread Necromancer / Warlock / Eldtrich Theurge build is this: Should Undead Mastery apply to The Dead Walk?

If the answer is Yes, which makes sense thematically even if it isn't RAW, then you have a very, very powerful build. Nearly every creature in the dungeon will have to fight undead versions of the creatures on the levels above them. :) With practiced spellcaster and feats to boost your caster level, you could easily have at 15th level:

+4 base HD
+10 charisma HD
* CL 15
= 210 HD of creatures

Normally this would cost 5000 gp, but it's free with the invocation. The caveat is that the zombies and skeletons only last for 15 minutes after they are created, but when plowing through a dungeon you'll pick up more bodies as you go along.

Takhisis

First Post
Yes, but undead mastery requires you to take at least 8 DN levels, and the OP was already uneasy about taking 4 DN levels. However, while the 8 DN levels may be a lot, if your DM rules it dose in fact work on the dead walks, then the 8 DN levels are most definitely worth it. If you want to take Edritch Theurge earler and still get undead mastery, you can always stagger the DN levels switching from ET to DN and so on and so forth.

Either way, if undead mastery works with the dead walk, you have yourself a good necromancer with some nice warlock powers and such.

Corwin of Amber

First Post
This may be completely different to what you want, but have you considered an Eldritch Disciple? You don't get Greatreach Blast, but if you play as a Cleric with the spontaneous divine caster variant from UA, you can simulate a dread necro pretty well, and even get the better utility spells that you need.
Since you only get to know a limited number of spells, you can bolster your list by taking a level of Prestige Paladin in order to add the paladin's spells to your spells-known list. And, you can wear armor and use all sorts of Divine Metamagic shennanigans. Plus, you can get into Heirophant more easily than Archmage to get Divine/Arcane Reach if you want ranged touch spells.

Remove ads