Is EN World really DM World?

Are you primarily a DM?

• Yes

Votes: 227 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 69 23.3%

Roadkill101

Explorer
Yes, I am primarily a DM. For the 26 years I've been gaming, I filled the DM position almost exclusively (which I'm not sure how this has happened, certainly not because I was the only one willing or who knew how to). I rarely fill a player position and it doesn't bother me, being a DM is a good outlet for my creative imagination.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The phenomenon of DMs who would rather be players but who run games out of a sense of duty is an interesting one. I'm not sure if they make better or worse DMs than those who enjoy it. I suspect it makes no odds.

drothgery

First Post
Voted no. I'm almost always running a PBP game, and I GM'd a SWSE adventure for my tabletop game, but in-person I'm almost always a player.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Doug McCrae said:
The phenomenon of DMs who would rather be players but who run games out of a sense of duty is an interesting one. I'm not sure if they make better or worse DMs than those who enjoy it. I suspect it makes no odds.
I suspect there are many who both enjoy being a DM and ALSO enjoy bitching about being a DM.

Cheers, -- N

I'm really not surprised that there are a lot more DM's here on EN World than players. DM's are generally the ones that have more books, more questions to ask about the game/their game. And it isn't always the case but DM's tend to be more "into" the hobby than your average player.

Olaf the Stout

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I get it, one letter lower, so EN = DM, the flip side of HAL = IBM from 2001.

And yes, I am my weekly gaming group's primary DM so have always enjoyed this internet site as a DM resource.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
In the last 3-4 months I haven't done much playing or DMing. EnWorld is a repository of knowledge though, both for players and DMs though. And when I need a quick question answered, its usually for both my hats. ;)

Orius

Legend
Yes I primarily DM.

But there's a lot of people who both play and DM, so what's the big deal about EN World having a lot of focus on DM stuff? And besides, DMs usually need more advise and ideas than someone who's just playing PCs anyway, given how much more a DM puts into the game.

p.s.: Don't take that as meaning that the players don't mean anything in the campaign. It's just that the DM does most of the heavy lifting with the creative work, setting up encounters and running game sessions.

Remove ads