Are you primarily a DM?

• Yes

Votes: 227 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 69 23.3%

Psion

Adventurer
jester47 said:
D comes before E in the alphabet, and M before N. EN World is named for Eric Noah, but strangely enough it could be named for someone who is so into DMing that they are ENing (i.e. they are so into DMing that the abbreviation is iterated one character forward.)

and they are also a fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

ejja_1

First Post
I do both.
As far as Enworld being a dm driven site I disagree.
I come here to see what other players are up to as well as dm's, and for news on the industry.
I also occasionally check out the story hour forums, when I need to fill some down time.
(Go lazy Bones!)
Im not saying that Enworld isnt a huge asset to Dm's, but it is not the primary reason for my coming here.

der_kluge

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
But to answer the question ... I think of myself primarily as a DM. If forced to do so, I would drop out of the groups I was playing in rather than drop the game I DM. There would be a pretty big hole in my gaming life if I wasn't DMing.

Weren't you thinking about quitting D&D altogether at some point in your recent past? ;)

EricNoah

Adventurer
You betcha -- quitting DMing in particular. And in fact I did so for six months in late 2005/early 2006. The day I realized I was done DMing was one of the most supremely awful days of my adult life.

Fortunately I figured out what was driving me away from DMing (it was the pressure I put on myself to run these big story arcs that had to hang together) and was able to ease my self back into it with some mini-campaigns (basically 3-5 sessions instead of a huge long campaign). And the "campaign" I am running now is non-linked adventures. Takes the pressure off!

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I wouldn't say that ENWorld is mainly DM driven, but I think people who lean on DMing are more involved with the hobby and hence pop in here more often or regularly - DMing is usually just a larger creative commitment to the hobby than being a player.

Not saying that players don't post here - but I'd argue that people who play more often or exclusively are much more "casual" and hence are less likely to show up here.

This may explain that DMs could be overrepresented (if a normal group is 4-1, then we should have mostly players here - I'd rather say it's closer to 1-1).

This said, I'm a Spielleiter. And I prefer referee as translation.

Cheers, LT.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Maybe we should have a poll about lurkers vs. registered posters and correlate that with player vs. dm. Maybe there are lots of players lurking and DMs posting. 'cause we're all a bunch of bigmouths and like to be the center of attention and stuff. :D

Doug McCrae

Legend
Lord Tirian said:
This may explain that DMs could be overrepresented (if a normal group is 4-1, then we should have mostly players here - I'd rather say it's closer to 1-1).
More like 1-3, according to the poll.

Remove ads