Is Evil Hat Republishing TSR's Star Frontiers?

Last year, Sasquatch Game Studio announced that it had acquired the trademark for TSR's old Alternity science-fiction game. At the time, it was mentioned that they did not have the Star*Drive, Dark*Matter, Gamma World, StarCraft Adventures, or Star Frontiers, properties owned by WotC. This may be changing, though - because Evil Hat Productions has applied for the trademark to Star Frontiers.

Last year, Sasquatch Game Studio announced that it had acquired the trademark for TSR's old Alternity science-fiction game. At the time, it was mentioned that they did not have the Star*Drive, Dark*Matter, Gamma World, StarCraft Adventures, or Star Frontiers, properties owned by WotC. This may be changing, though - because Evil Hat Productions has applied for the trademark to Star Frontiers.

StarFrontiers-AlphaDawnBlueBox1.jpg

Some caveats are worth noting - the trademark application was made in July 2017, and it's likely that nothing will happen on it for months. At this stage, it's just an application, so there's no guarantee that it will even be approved. Speculation is what speculation is, but this is very much a "wait-and-see" situation.

So, what's Star Frontiers? It's a space opera RPG produced by TSR back in the early 80s. Many elements of the game were later re-used in various forms in Spelljammer, d20 Future, and other TSR/WotC games and settings. It was a percentile system game, set in an area of space dominated by the United Planetary Federation composed of four races - Humans, the amoeboid Dralasite, the insectoid Vrusk, and the ape-like Yazirian.

Evil Hat, of course, is the publisher of the popular ENnie-winning Fate line of RPGs, which is a flexible system designed to accommodate a vast array of settings. Whether they plan to make a Fate version of Star Frontiers is far, far too early to start speculating on. I guess we may find out more next year, if the trademark application is approved.
SaveSave
SaveSave

aramis erak

Legend
The issue isn't so much game mechanics, as it is setting - and that's definitely a copyright thing. I highly doubt that Evil Hat would use Star Frontier's mechanics over their own highly successful FATE rules.

Of course, that necessitates the question: why would they use the name, when they can't use the setting and likely won't use the mechanics or anything similar? At least when Sasquatch was making neo-Alternity, they used a similar mechanic to old Alternity (though I'm not a fan of some of their choices, which is why I decided against supporting the Kickstarter) even if they couldn't use the StarDrive setting.
If they get the setting and move it to Fate, they're going to lose a good part of the extant fanbase.

It's happened repeatedly. Twilight 2013. Space 1889 Ubiquity. Red Sands (1889 to Savage worlds). Mongoose Traveller. Mongoose RuneQuest. Mongoose Judge Dredd. Star Wars d20. Star Wars Narrative Dice System (Edge/Age/F&D). LUG Trek, Decipher Trek, and Modiphius Trek.

The question is, will it bring enough new blood to be successful...

Now, It's a safe bet that they are going to use the setting - because legit remastered PDFs have stood several 3rd party DCMA reports for the non-commercial "Remastered Editions" licensed by WOTC years ago. (Which is a whole other kettle of fish - making DMCA reports for other companies is not in the blackletter law...) That particular fan project has, however, fizzled - nothing new since 2014

So, there's an extant mechanical fanbase, but it's aging out. And there are many better systems, so retrocloning it seems pretty pointless.

Which brings back the question of the setting. Without it, it's dead. With it, it's been unsupported by WOTC since 1999, and the most rabid fans since 2014......

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Starfinder isn't a modern update of Star Frontiers; only inasmuch as they're both in space, but by that standard Pathfinder is a modern update of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying or Runequest.

A lot of people enjoy a robust percentile system game, and percentiles - for better or worse - does give a more sci-fi "feel" to a game.

Of course, we don't know what their plans are. All we know is that they've applied for a trademark. Old system, updated system, Fate system, brand new system... could be anything!

I agree with Morrus' comment on the feel of a percentile system - it somehow seems fitting to scifi. Beyond the core mechanic, I also think that a skills-based system is more fitting for modern and scifi settings than one based on levels. Really, how many games aside from the many flavors of F20 are rooted in levels anymore? Very few. Maybe I am okay with classes anchored in levels for DnD because that's where I started and have a legacy of familiarity and comfort with it. But level-based scifi seems odd...out of place....limiting.

I have only played Fate a few times and I have no idea if it'd be good for scifi, or the story and vibe of SF. I think something a little crunchier, d100, and skills-based would be better, along with the core of the original canon - that is, races, the Frontier, and some of the places established in the corebooks and modules.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
For a modern 'update' there's already Starfinder. Adding the Star Frontiers races (which are easily the most memorable bit) to Starfinder would be almost trivial.

Er, sure, if you take out all of the Starfinder races and all of the _magic_ and much of the gear - then it's "trivial".

Are you under the impression that Star Frontiers was D&D in space?

dynath

Villager
The question with this is that acquiring a trademark only grants use of the product's title. Game mechanics are still covered under copyright laws, and those therefore remain WotC's property AFAIK.

Game mechanics aren't covered under copyright law. They can be patented but the patent would be expired by now. The more likely issue is the trademark concerning product identity. The name of the game, races, locations, etc. is what is trademarked. If WotC hasn't used it, they might have lost it but even if they didn't it could still be upheld and they need to do it for every trademark. Not just the name but every individual part that is covered by trademark, all the planets, organization names, characters, etc. Then the background fluff could easily be copy-written, but this is more likely owned by the original authors or their estates rather than WotC itself. You'd have to track down who owned what and make sure you can secure the rights to stuff. This is why old games and settings don't get revived much.

Bruce Heard

Calidar Publishing
(...) The name of the game, races, locations, etc. is what is trademarked. (...)

Sorry, no. Trademarks are for the names of products or services. Races, locations, names of characters, art, and so forth are not part of a product's trademark. They are covered under copyright laws.

Jhaelen

First Post
Are you under the impression that Star Frontiers was D&D in space?
Regarding the original mechanics, clearly not. But regarding the pulpy space-opera setting? Definitely.

What I remember from the old Star Frontier adventure modules I have still got stashed away somewhere, they were about (crash?)landing on some backwater planet and helping the low-tech native race to fight against blaster-wielding sentient octopi from space riding cyber-dinosaurs trying to enslave the natives.

I've seen almost the exact same things in regular D&D.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Regarding the original mechanics, clearly not. But regarding the pulpy space-opera setting? Definitely.

What I remember from the old Star Frontier adventure modules I have still got stashed away somewhere, they were about (crash?)landing on some backwater planet and helping the low-tech native race to fight against blaster-wielding sentient octopi from space riding cyber-dinosaurs trying to enslave the natives.

I've seen almost the exact same things in regular D&D.

Well that's one three - adventure series, and the details are quite a bit different from most contemporary D&D adventures.

Again, as far as comparisons to Starfinder, the complete lack of magic, religion, alignment, and many other D&D tropes, added on the the mechanical differences makes for a very different feel and type of game. You could probably use d6 or one of the other Star Wars systems or even the new Star Trek system and be closer to recreating it than Starfinder.

I'd be really pleased to see Star Frontiers return, as it's a great space opera setting and one that never realised it's potential. I'm hoping Evil Hat have licensed the IP from WOTC, and that Steve Winters will be involved in the development. I will back the inevitable kickstarter!

Using the original mechanics would be a mistake, as they were pretty clunky even back then. A Fate-based system could work well, though it might clash with the "Frontier Spirit" or "Andromeda" settings.

A better idea, IMO, would be to release it as a 5E-based system. I believe it could be done quite simply and well, and there is an audience of hundreds of thousands of 5E players out there who currently have no real SciFi options. There is a market opportunity. As Morrus pointed out, Evil Hat currently release RPGs based not only on Fate, but also on Gumshoe and PBTA. They clearly like to diversify, so it would make sense to add a 5E system to their portfolio.

evilhat

Explorer
Leave it to the Internet to blow a not-yet-approved trademark application all out of proportion with rampant unfounded speculation. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads