D&D 5E Is Free League planning on publishing Adventures in Middle Earth?

vivsavage

Explorer
Now that Free League holds the middle earth license and has released the 2nd edition of The One Ring, does anyone know if they are planning to continue Adventures in Middle Earth (the 5e RPG set in Middle Earth)? At one point Cubicle 7 said that AiME outsold TOR by 10:1, so I would think it would be to Free League's benefit to publish material for it. Their 5e version of Symbaroum had a very successful Kickstarter.

darjr

I crit!
I believe they've said they would but that they wanted to do one thing at a time and get this one nailed first.

I think they did nail it and I can't wait for that AiME kickstarter!

I am still annoyed that all that crap, whatever it was that no one will ever say, happened between Cublcle 7 and the rights owner before the Moria boxed set was published. I sometimes wonder if trying to deal with that, and it containing complete setting and rules for both the TOR and AiME rules, caused the rift and the cancelling of their contract.

teitan

Legend
I am still annoyed that all that crap, whatever it was that no one will ever say, happened between Cublcle 7 and the rights owner before the Moria boxed set was published. I sometimes wonder if trying to deal with that, and it containing complete setting and rules for both the TOR and AiME rules, caused the rift and the cancelling of their contract.
I would say it is contractual that it will never come out and really the breakdown isn't our business in that regard. Sometimes a simple misunderstanding of the license that results in a breach can cause the loss of a license and that's all it was and with the Tolkien Estate in flux at the time it could have been a shift in priorities.

Aldarc

Legend
I believe they've said they would but that they wanted to do one thing at a time and get this one nailed first.

I think they did nail it and I can't wait for that AiME kickstarter!
Yeah, but as Fria Ligan had to make game changes to TOR as a result of the rights changing hands, I'm curious how they would change AiME.

Jaeger

That someone better
At one point Cubicle 7 said that AiME outsold TOR by 10:1,

That's nuts.

Yet inevitable.

We are finally seeing the full effect of Dancy's OGL concept come to fruition under 5e.

whatever it was that no one will ever say, happened between Cublcle 7 and the rights owner before the Moria boxed set was published.

Yeah, it's a bit rough that they got yanked right before one of the most anticipated supplements for the line.

I would say it is contractual that it will never come out

You're probably right.

really the breakdown isn't our business.

Screw that, I want the Dirt!

Drama like that in the hobby is a rarity. We need more of that kind of thing, not less!

My Guess:

I think the fracture revolved around AiME and the fact that it was selling hand over fist. Primarily over who was getting what percentage cut of the TOR vs AiME income.

IMHO it is telling that the TOR 2e design team happily moved over to FL.

Pure speculation though.

Weiley31

Legend
Goodness I can't wait for the eventual Adventures in Middle-Earth "2nd Edition" when Free League finally decides to do it. They are such great books to mine/cherry pick stuff for your 5E games. I use the stat blocks in them for like most of the more "mundane" parts of DND, like the Farmers, Town Guards, Bandits/Thugs, and others for like the various villages and big no name roads/paths in my 5E games. Likewise, I really like how in other books, such as the Rivendell Region Guide and the Loremaster's Guide, they have Enchanted Qualities like "Keen," "Smiting," and what not that you can add to weapons/Armors. The Elven-Crafted Enchanted Quality, even throws a bone to the 5E Medium Armors category by allowing Medium Armor using PCs to add their full DEX modifer, ala Light Armor, to their AC class. Of course, finding something like that or having somebody craft it is another story altogether/DM fiat.

Likewise, the various Creature Abilities that a couple of the books have, can REALLY help with customizing your 5E monsters. From adding Legendary actions to monsters to even one that makes a PC Auto-Fail one of your three Death Saving Throws upon hitting 0 hp for the first time in battle. Of course my personal favorite of said abilities is Dwimmerlaik which is unique to the Nazgul. It pretty much allows any Nazgul, when you score a Critical Hit against em, to use their Reaction to basically legit go NO and Reflect your entire Critical Hit right back on the PC, that scored it, if said PC fails a DC 16 STR saving throw**. Oh and if you don't have a magical weapon, your weapon completely shatters/is destroyed on the spot. (Magical Weapons don't shatter, but your character experiences a sharp cold pain of dread that shoots through your body, causing the PC's arm to drop the magical weapon. Which means you have to waste an action picking it up/ risk DM being the type to have the Nazgul kick it away from you.) It's a bit nasty in theory and I absolutely love the idea of the theoretical look of *Uh crap on a player's face if an unlucky PC falls victim to it.

***DC 16 STR saving throw too low for Barbs/STR characters you say? DM: Laughs in changing it to something higher or a different stat when adding Dwimmerlaik to a homebrewed monster.

Really an absolute sin Cubicle 7 lost the license. They were really doing some great stuff with it and even helped the Social and Exploration pillars of 5E even more with Audiences and Journeys. And Moria would have been epic, especially since that means we would've gotten the Balrog with it as well and that would've been sweet.

Last edited:

That's nuts.

Yet inevitable.

We are finally seeing the full effect of Dancy's OGL concept come to fruition under 5e.

Yeah, it's a bit rough that they got yanked right before one of the most anticipated supplements for the line.

You're probably right.

Screw that, I want the Dirt!

Drama like that in the hobby is a rarity. We need more of that kind of thing, not less!

My Guess:

I think the fracture revolved around AiME and the fact that it was selling hand over fist. Primarily over who was getting what percentage cut of the TOR vs AiME income.

IMHO it is telling that the TOR 2e design team happily moved over to FL.

Pure speculation though.

"One rule set to rule them all, One rule set to find them, One rule set to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie" Darcy, probably 🤣😂😈😉

teitan

Legend
Heck I think AIME is a perfect system for low magic, high fantasy adventuring where magic is more vague and mysterious even without the Middle Earth setting. It's so well done. I love it and I can't wait for the reboot to come. I have all the pdfs but I lament that I didn't get the HC before the inevitable price drive that happened.

Remove ads